Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Public Revolution  (Read 3934 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Public Revolution
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 05:50:07 pm »

Oh dear.
I know that this is a "chit-chat" site......but. When at sea there were 2 subjects that were really fowned upon as "bar discussions". Religion and Politics. In general that worked pretty well.
I can easily visualise this thread getting totally out of hand with knee-jerk reactions to provocative posts.
Everyone here has his/her own private views and as such should remain so, otherwise we degenerate into the old sailors argument:-
"FLAT STATEMENT FOLLOWED BY FLAT DENIAL FOLLOWED BY PERSONAL ABUSE".

Stop this thread NOW!!!!!   BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 06:00:26 pm »

Prophet,
You are perfectly entitled to your own views, but please remember that some of us have been around the block at least once and are fully aware of the problems that exist.
You appear to omit a few minor details in some of your rather sweeping assumptions.
For example:
1. Added pensions, yes I have one. How did I get it? Simple, I was forced to join a scheme at 18 years of age, no choice - and it took a goodly chunk of my earnings for the next nearly 50 years. Could I afford it? At the time (and for a good number of years afterwards) NO.
2. Payments by the State. Many of us have never received such payments. In my case I was made redundant, got about four months unemployment payments (largely my NI stamp). Job seekers allowance was introduced and I told them to shove it, a complete and utter farce. Telling lies simply to satisfy the system did nothing for me. Ended up paying my own NI contributions but at least I was free from the tissue of lies that the scheme promoted.
3. Why were we made redundant? Simple, the good education system that had existed for years (remember the days when Technical Colleges existed?) was deemed to be suitable for private control rather than being a local service offered by the Council. Engineering was too expensive to operate. Modern idea is to have people sitting at a desk doing some garbage subject (drama, dance, music etc). That will help the country out of it's problems!
4. Youngsters, lack of control / discipline? Yes, look at the parents raised during the 60's / 70's. That will give you a few answers.
I was involved with young people in my work for most of my working life, some very good, many average and a few real little nasty people. They just couldn't understand that what they got away with at home or school would not wash in the big world. many of them were much wiser after some education.
5. You cite the education system of your time, hardly good was it? I suffered from students who could barely put two words together, maths was a foreign language, some could not write and one lad couldn't even hold a pen. And we had to take them through a technical education! Ah yes, the good old days!

Sorry if this offends your sense of knowing what the wrongs of this country are, a suggestion would be to take the tinted glasses off, find someone who has been down the road previously and sit and listen.
Moral that I was taught as a young apprentice, you learn more by listening than talking.

Regards to all. 

Wasyl

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 07:22:42 pm »

I like it,..a member who does,nt mince words, :-))

Wullie

chingdevil

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 08:49:14 pm »

MODERATED

This forum is not the place for debating what is right and wrong with this country, or for trying to push your idealistict ideas even in the chit chat area. This forum is the place to talk about model boats, for that reason this thread is LOCKED.

Brian
Global Moderator
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.