Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Arrow deep vee racer  (Read 18069 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
New Arrow deep vee racer
« on: September 23, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »

Hi,
i was asked some months ago by a good friend to resurrect and modify an old race hull he received from a  friend who i believe raced it for some years with good success.The hull no longer been in production he asked if i could make him one as he liked it so much,i agreed to do so having made some improvements to the design.The main hull is basically the same as the ones i build in that its an Apache based hull but cut lower, so that been the case this is a good project for me as i allready have the moulds for the hull  ok2.I removed a scoop from the centre of the deck and have now installed 2 naca ducts into the deck instead,i think they look much better.Heres a cpl of pics of the new improved version.,ill post pics of the old top if i can find them.
Mart

F1 madness

Re: New Arrow deep vee racer
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:08:51 pm »

Hey bud looking sweet would like to see it on top the hull :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:23:31 pm »

You will as soon as its moulded and i have the first part PATIENCE lol

F1 madness

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:35:03 pm »

Im always patient  %)might be interested in 1 though bud  {:-{

Tombsy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:49:21 pm »

Looks pretty sweet, I'll be waiting to see the hull as well.
Nice job.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 06:57:08 pm »

As i said its an apache hull thats basically lower profile with this design on top,looks sweet.This will be a real performer im certain,not only will it have the handling of the apache in the chop but been much lower she will be much more aerodynamic so therefore much faster,should be a 60 mph boat me thinks.First ones spoken for in fact the first two   ;)
Mart

tmbc

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:07:57 pm »

hey martin
what a swell looking deck that will be ;0)
 ive got some nice hardware to fit it out with and 60mph hmm shouldnt be a problem with the new 29cc engine
mark

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:14:45 pm »

Hi Mark sounds good to me ill add you to the list lol,just kidding your at the top  :-)).
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 01:23:26 pm »

Hey Mark havent spoke to you for a while hows things hope the Apaches going well m8.Incidently i have quite a few designs ill be working on over the winter and should have quite a few options for people come spring,will have to catch up with you soon and chat about some ideas i have  ok2.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:54:59 am »

Well the plugs finished,all waxed ready to start the moulding process.Ill give it 4 coats of tooling gel as im anticipating a little wet sanding on this one to get the finish i want.Ill post some pics as i go if anyones interested.Hope you all managed to read the article in model boats mag about my glass layup process,id like to thank Stuart Rae for his input and kind words about my hulls also.Im very exited about this new one should be a fantastic boat when finished.
Mart

F1 madness

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 06:13:44 pm »

Hry bud hows this later project coming along <*<

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 04:05:43 pm »

All ready to mould the first part later this week ,this will be the prototype and ill see how it turns out and if need be tweak the design a bit and remould it if need be but we,ll see.Im redoing the hatch for this one also.
Been away for a few days to my parents so havent done any building for a week,will get back to it on Monday  :-)).
Mart

F1 madness

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 06:43:39 pm »

cool keep us posted,maybe interested in 1 :-))
Iv started THE build iv been on about,if all goes well ill scale it up for the bigger jobbie and should be an impressive looking hull

ids987

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 11:10:34 pm »

Hi Mart, All ears here too. If this one's up to expectations, I think it's going to be just the thing for that secret project I mentioned. Waiting on a key ingredient to come from Korea at the moment.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 11:55:44 pm »

Ill be sure to keep you informed Ian,hope to get the first part made tomorrow as i had a day off today as it was my birthday  ok2.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 11:56:48 pm »

cool keep us posted,maybe interested in 1 :-))
Iv started THE build iv been on about,if all goes well ill scale it up for the bigger jobbie and should be an impressive looking hull
[/quote
 Sounds good to me Daz  :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:16 am »

Well i pulled the first part today,trimmed it and cleaned it up so heres a few pics.It needs a little work to get the finish i want as i expected so i think ill work on it and then remould it.Looks pretty good though and im sure even this one would be useable once its been wet sanded and worked over with some polishing compound.
Mart

F1 madness

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 12:17:17 pm »

Cool look forward to seeing how she turns out. :-))

phillnjack

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 09:29:52 pm »

Looks very nice and sleek

The Ducts look a bit like the ones on my pipedream mk1

pic below of the ducts on my boat

does this mean my boat is now a modern looking boat, i.e in fashuion  again   :D

phill

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 10:06:17 pm »

Glad you like it m8 the ducts are nothing new but i just liked the idea rather than scoops etc.Im thinking of leaving them closed and let the buyer cut them out or not as i think maybe some will not want the starboard one opened because of water ingestion in the carb maybe.Have you encountered that problem on yours ?.The guaze or mesh is what i use on my vents maybe thats enough to stop it ,i know its easy enough to install a splash guard if need be.
Mart
ps your boat looks good and the Apaches never went out of fashion so why should yours  :}

phillnjack

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 10:33:42 pm »

If i had a new hull i would put the mesh on the outside for looks and leave them closed
I have had water come in through them in very rough sea use when the boat was at standstill.

I cut them out when i was using air cooled chainsaw engine, and was going to add scoops to the ducts to cause ram air effect and
use ducting inside to deflect exactly where i wanted it.
(when i say ducting,i mean the flex off the wife's  vacum cleaner )ha ha

I do like the look of the ducts, but then i also like scoops. depends on the boat i suppose.

your boats do have a nice finnish on them, and to look good in black, they must be good.
you can get away with a few flaws with white, but with black you cant  hide anything

phill........

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 10:39:45 pm »

Yes your right about Black i even know some of the well known companys wont even make black gelcoated boats for that very reason.I can say with all honesty ive made 3 Black hulls from these moulds and they all came out great.I did have isues with one of my very first moulds on another design but nothing bad,but yes to do black the moulds need to be spot on which mine are  :D.I have another order for a black one to start next week,i must admit they do look great.
Mart

F1 madness

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 10:45:04 am »

Hey mart aint you finished this project yet LOL :}

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 01:52:33 pm »

Been busy with a few orders m8  ok2

phillnjack

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 02:49:34 pm »

What is it comming too when a  good small english business is busy trying to fill orders .

Over the last few years ive seen so many small businesses collapse mainly because they have tried to
cut corners on quality and finnish of the product.

You just keep on building them boats, take your time we are not in a hurry for pictures.

(only joking, we need pics now)

phill    >>:-(
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.