Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: In Hiding  (Read 10998 times)

Wasyl

In Hiding
« on: September 23, 2010, 03:30:35 pm »

What is it with these hidden users,in the past 15mins  there have been 36 users online,30 of whom are not afraid to let it be known who they are,but in the background we have the skulkers,creeping about,..like Gollum in the Mines of Moria, {:-{

Wullie

Prophet

Re: In Hiding
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:57:39 pm »

strangers looking for advice without taking part themselfs or could be spy's looking for Elvis uhh uhhhh  {-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:26:22 pm »

They've probably been looking at your posts Prophet - that's why they are hiding....

Colin (behind the sofa)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:39:37 pm »

:-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:57:47 pm »

This is a problem that this forum has to solve. Some of us are quite happy to post our e-mail addresses. Even though I've ruffled a few feathers in the past (andprobably in the future) I've never yet had one abusive e-mail. I think that this because the posters of such stuff want wide coverage and PMs etc. don't give any "exposure" to their foibles.
Hiding on the internet is so easy. But can cause a lot of damage on a forum such as this. People who have really no interest in modelling in any shape or form, just pretend to have. I think I can now pick out one or two of them. There is no place here for that sort of malicious (but sad and private) glee.
My own solution is for every member to post both location and e-mail address under the Profiles button. Any alias would be known to the Moderators (sounds like Lord of the Rings!), and complaints etc could be either posted or reported. Not perfect I admit, but open for improvement ideas. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Wasyl

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 07:11:21 pm »

strangers looking for advice without taking part themselfs or could be spy's looking for Elvis uhh uhhhh  {-)
He,s closer than you think,...he,s on here,and lives in Cumbria {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Wullie,

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:32:48 pm »

They've probably been looking at your posts Prophet - that's why they are hiding. 
 many a true word Colin
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:45:59 pm »

They've probably been looking at your posts Prophet - that's why they are hiding. 
 many a true word Colin
There seems to be quite a lot of us in agreement if you look through some of the other topics as well.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:15:44 pm »

With you on that one Dicky :-))
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:23:46 pm »

many a true word Colin
hear hear  O0  ;D

Peter

Hidden

ZZ56

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 09:38:25 pm »

What is it with these hidden users,in the past 15mins  there have been 36 users online,30 of whom are not afraid to let it be known who they are,but in the background we have the skulkers,creeping about,..like Gollum in the Mines of Moria, {:-{

Wullie

yes, and fifty-two guests, which i think would be the more 'malicious' usergroup

hiding your online status just means you aren't listed at the bottom of the page when you're online.  All their posts are still made with a username, email address, profile photo, etc. like all other Mayhem members.

Wasyl

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 09:52:25 pm »

well if thats the case, why hide their online status,

Wullie

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 09:55:57 pm »

They've probably been looking at your posts Prophet - that's why they are hiding....

Colin (behind the sofa)

O0 O0 O0

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 10:01:16 pm »

My own solution is for every member to post both location and e-mail address under the Profiles button. Any alias would be known to the Moderators (sounds like Lord of the Rings!), and complaints etc could be either posted or reported. Not perfect I admit, but open for improvement ideas. BY.

Good point  :-)) :-)) and I think there was recent call for everyone to list their location at least  O0 O0 so people would know where the respondent was when giving them "advice" O0 O0 O0

ZZ56

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 10:11:16 pm »

well if thats the case, why hide their online status,

Wullie

I dunno.  As long as they're abiding by the Mayhem code of conduct i don't see any reason to get one's feathers ruffled.

pugwash

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 10:19:01 pm »

ZZ  But your entry shows you live in Ontario - if you were to come on the forum looking where you could
get something we would know not to send you down the model shop in London - likewise if something is offered
for sale its handy to know from where the seller is posting - you arent giving your address away by posting your
town or county

Geoff

chingdevil

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 10:34:00 pm »

The number of members on line is not accurate as it is not instant I believe there is a delay between what it shows and who is truly on line. The guests are something we can not stop, if you log out and then come back to the forum without logging in you become a guest, in fact you are all guests of Martin as it is his forum and he decides if you can use it.

Brian

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 10:34:55 pm »

I don't see why I should have to post my whereabouts or my email address, I have done so because I want to not because I have to.
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 10:37:56 pm »

This is a problem that this forum has to solve.
How is this a problem?
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

DARLEK1

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 10:41:55 pm »

I am one of the hidden ones, but, as others have said, it still says who posted what and when, so I do not see your problem dude, I just don't want to be mythered to death when someone knows I am online as the case may be, I have got enough to deal with as it is in my own personal life. The guests as have been mentioned, well, there is nothing you can do about those!

Paul...

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 10:56:53 pm »

I don't see why I should have to post my whereabouts or my email address, I have done so because I want to not because I have to.

Riggers,
From my perspective here in OZ it is handy if I know where people are when you are helping me out because some things, items, produsts etc are not available in Oz.
For instance had problem with a supplier who didn't or couldn't answer emails, everyone said ring them and gave  me the pone number, Duh I am not in country, nor was  I able to ring internationally.
Anyway forum member was able to contact supplier who contacted me via forum all resloved.
So knowing where people are, does help in assisting them.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 03:00:36 am »

I think the point made by Riggers is fair.

No one should HAVE TO
Although posting your location is very helpful it is not essential.

As any site is hackable I always limit where I put up my email. And in the past there have been members who have been harrassed via email during flame wars. Sad but true.
And if you are attacked by email it brings the assault into your 'home'. Where an insulting PM is still in the Mayhem Arena, and is less threatening.

Having an email listed would be nice, but with the PM system on Mayhem the need is perhaps redundant.

Email addresses, phone numbers, and personal addresses can always be exchanged via PM if so desired.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 03:35:34 am »

Riggers,
From my perspective here in OZ it is handy if I know where people are when you are helping me out because some things, items, produsts etc are not available in Oz.
For instance had problem with a supplier who didn't or couldn't answer emails, everyone said ring them and gave  me the pone number, Duh I am not in country, nor was  I able to ring internationally.
Anyway forum member was able to contact supplier who contacted me via forum all resloved.
So knowing where people are, does help in assisting them.

Should have mentioned that my post was not supporting email disclosure.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 05:17:44 am »

As I have said in previous posts, displaying a location is desirable, for reasons already mentioned by others, and members are encouraged to do so in the Welcome message each new member receives.  Personally, I cannot understand why anyone would be reluctant to reveal a location, as opposed to a mailing address. However, an email address is a bird of a very different variety, and I can understand people not wishing to reveal theirs.

Peter.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 07:27:07 am »

Perhaps the registering application could have a mandatory drop-down box similar to postal address options on Online Transaction forms that says what country your in, with a box underneath that isn't mandatory to write any other location details in should you so wish- a comprimise, but the best of both worlds perhaps?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.