Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assigning a static IP address in Linksys WAG160Nv2  (Read 5480 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Assigning a static IP address in Linksys WAG160Nv2
« on: September 18, 2010, 09:34:04 pm »

I want to use my Linksys WAG160N as my main wireless router with another router set up as a repeater access point.

To do this, I need to set the repeater with a static IP address in the WAG160N. Does anyone know how to set a static IP address in the WAG160's interface?

Ta.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Assigning a static IP address in Linksys WAG160Nv2
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:55:05 pm »

I've done a little googling on the subject and the consensus of opinion is that you can't set, in the LinkSys router, static IP address reservations. It seems that this router will only do DHCP - that is, give a random ip address out.

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Cable-and-DSL/WAG160N-Setting-static-IP-s/td-p/319359
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18027987

The solution is to set the IP address on the repeater itself and make sure that the IP you give the repeater is not the IP address range that DHCP on the LinkSys is servicing. It seems that this range can be a adjusted to suit. If the LinkSys has an option to configure a repeater then presumably it will allow you to enter the IP of the repeater into the configuration somewhere. The device you are using as a repeater probably has to be told it is a repeater and must repeat to the Linksys' Ip address.

Note, I have neither a LinkSys or a repeater on my wireless setup...
Alister

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 11:10:17 pm »

I've done a little googling on the subject and the consensus of opinion is that you can't set, in the LinkSys router, static IP address reservations. It seems that this router will only do DHCP - that is, give a random ip address out.

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Cable-and-DSL/WAG160N-Setting-static-IP-s/td-p/319359
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18027987

The solution is to set the IP address on the repeater itself and make sure that the IP you give the repeater is not the IP address range that DHCP on the LinkSys is servicing. It seems that this range can be a adjusted to suit. If the LinkSys has an option to configure a repeater then presumably it will allow you to enter the IP of the repeater into the configuration somewhere. The device you are using as a repeater probably has to be told it is a repeater and must repeat to the Linksys' Ip address.

Note, I have neither a LinkSys or a repeater on my wireless setup...

Aw bum but cheers. I was beginning to realise this as I'd searched but couldnt find anything.

On the overclockers site a response was this

"It's DHCP settings you want to adjust, not DNS. You have two options, you can either use static DHCP to assign an IP for a special MAC address, or you can simply set DHCP to use a range of IPs that wont conflict with your pre set IPs. For example, if your server uses 192.168.0.2. you can simply set DHCP to assign IPs 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.254, and that way IPs .1 to .9 are never assigned by the router, so wont conflict with any static IP pre set on the computer."

So if I set my repeater with an IP address say 192.168.0.2 and set the Linksys to assign IP addresses starting at 192.168.0.3,, the repeater will always be seen as 192.168.0.2 by the Linksys?

Not sure how the other guy reckons you can assign an IP for a special MAC. Cant see anywhere in the interface for that.

Thanks again though.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 12:58:02 am »

Yes - set the IP of the repeater and the DHCP range as you suggest and you should be fine. No promises however :)
Alister
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.