Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Going On....????  (Read 10526 times)

PMK

What's Going On....????
« on: September 24, 2010, 06:19:37 pm »

Why is it a sad day?
Because FLJ has pulled the plug.
Apparently the powers-that-be has taken exception to him using the word "sucker" and moderated his post.
Puh-LEEESE! We're talking grown men here - not schoolyard children mentality
I myself have used the very same noun on more than several occasions, yet no-one has ever complained about it. But all of a sudden it seems the word could be construed as rude just because it's feared that it could be preceded with a reference to a certain part of the male anatomy. I mean, just where in the name of decent common sense did THAT come from?!
This is madness - totally. Even more so when one takes into account that the context in which the word sucker was initially used has now been totally twisted.
Talk about putting words into people's mouths.
FLJ was one of those valid members who has been with this forum right from the very off. And in all that time he has freely given his help and advice to countless members - sometimes without even as much as a simple "thank you" for all his efforts.
One cannot help wondering just how many more good and decent members will be moderated before they too decide to pull the plug.

Enough already. There is nothing at all wrong with keeping things clean and on an Even keel. But surely castigating a much valid member just because he used an everyday word is positively taking the politically correctness thing waaaaay too far.

Man, this place surely won't be ever be the same without him.

andyn

Re: A very sad day for Mayhem.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 06:23:24 pm »

Hasn't changed a bit in the last two months I wasn't here then? Ohwell see you in another few {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 06:31:28 pm »

It was a judgement call on my part and I openly admit I may have got it wrong but it was one of those issues where the modern
English language can be wrongly interpreted and I didn't think it be fair for FLJ to be misquoted or accused of something he didn't
mean. FLJ speaks for himself but it was me that was getting the PM'S!

However, not all is as it seems......!

edit - grammar

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

garston1

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 07:07:38 pm »

A sorry day indeed :((

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:08:12 pm »

Wondered what happened to Dave.

Cant we get him back Martin ?

He's too knowledgeable to lose.

For new members, Dave owns Action Electronics.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:13:53 pm »

This is indeed sad. The Americanisms that are creeping into the English language is to blame here I think. <*< <:(  Come back FLJ, ignore this stupidity.
..well can you land on this?

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:18:18 pm »

As PT Barnum used to say,...

There is a lollipop born every minute.

%)

Ah for the care free attitudes of the '50s and '60s where the only thing to worry about was
the bad influence of the Beatles, and the Russian nuclear attack.

Instead of having an opinion, perhaps this forum has been reduced to
 posting  a kitties or bunnies instead...

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 07:20:52 pm »

I thought it was a song by Wham !!! :} :}   "Young Guns" Hey Sucker..

But Fully Agree that FLJ and his box of Gadgets would be Missed..

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 07:25:52 pm »

I realize we need moderators, but this is absolutely ridiculous.   We have lost a good helpful member because of someones over zealousness.   I believe FLJ is due an apology.   If he does not get it, I too will have to consider my options.  PeteM
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:34:51 pm »

because of someones over zealousness

Martin - he owns this Forum, is entitled to run it as he wishes and has explained his action above. There is no need whatsoever for people to start having hysterics and escalate an unfortunate and hopefully temporary action by FLJ into a national tragedy.

Colin

Wasyl

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 07:39:59 pm »

{:-{ :((

Wullie

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 07:43:17 pm »

Martin - he owns this Forum, is entitled to run it as he wishes and has explained his action above. There is no need whatsoever for people to start having hysterics and escalate an unfortunate and hopefully temporary action by FLJ into a national tragedy.

Colin

Here here
Don't Assume Check

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 07:44:53 pm »

PeterM,
Your post was certainly the most unhelpful post on this subject.
If you don't get what you want you will "consider your options".
Feel free to consider your options, I won't be holding my breath as to the outcome.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Mi Amigo

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 07:51:46 pm »

FLJ speaks for himself but it was me that was getting the PM'S!

Wouldn' it have been more sensible to tell the people sending the PM's to grow up?

If you pamper to the whiners you are making a rod for your own back.

Wasyl

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 07:56:07 pm »

I,ve had a few sad days myself,but that was at a time when i could,nt keep my tongue between my teeth,without biting it,..perhaps when the light of day filters through,we,ll see him on here again,life,s too short,to stay in the cream puff, O0

Wullie

barryfoote

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »

Over zealous moderation is a difficult issue, but when wrong, should be put right immediately.

In order not to inflame things, I have no more to say on the subject, except, none of us are too old to learn from our mistakes..

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 08:12:47 pm »

I think we all know that this is Martins Forum [ Its the first thing that the moderators and ex moderators tell us when anyone comes up with an opinion different to theirs ] and I am sure we all appreciate that and are very grateful to him, but this would appear to be something that has cropped up between him and Dave and as such should be sorted out between the two of them.

Hopefully we shall see Dave on here again in the near future Martin.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 08:26:46 pm »

" not all is as it seems......"
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Wasyl

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 09:14:22 pm »

It never is!!!!

Wullie

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 10:20:46 pm »

Bearing in mind all is not as it seems
What concerns me is the bastardisation of the English language by so called political correctness.  :police: :police:
It is within the realms of possibility that nautical terms may be found to be offensive to some minority group/persons.
Example  a Gay (happy, fun) time was had by all now means  homosexuals.

Far better to lose a thin skinned politically correct whinger and  maintain an even keel.

sailorboy61

What's Going On....????
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 10:45:15 pm »

I came here to find some help and assistance from like minded people, to pick the brains of those who know far more about this hobby than I do, to learn, and eventually maybe able to similarly pass on some knowledge to others...........

.......now these last few days seem to have turned into a forum for airing personal vendettas and nit picking.

I understand there have to be rules to maintain dignity and respect..... but likewise, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if that differs from you own perception and understanding, then you have to learn to accept that.

Obviously it is the usual small minority, but I don't think it presents a very good public image of those involved in the hobby.

There is certainly mayhem in the forum.... can we not get back to model boats now please?

<*<

garston1

Re: What's Going On....????
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 10:49:39 pm »

Well that's what the chit chat forum is for, to talk about anything you have on your mind, including gripes! Other parts of the site have specific forums for modelling, learning and showing your boats etc :-)

sailorboy61

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 10:52:30 pm »

It's moved on from gripes.... it's getting personal.......

I'm sure it says Model Boat Mayhem at the top of the page I'm looking at......... not a mention of personal attacks and insults??

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 10:56:03 pm »

I think Sailorboy has got a point, there is plenty of boating stuff going on but it has become overshadowed by rather too many rants and people indulging themselves by sounding off just recently.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just don't make the mistake of assuming that anyone else is very interested in it.

Maybe a rule of thumb should apply: If you aren't prepared to shout it from your bedroom window at the neighbours then think twice about posting it on here.

Colin

Wasyl

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 10:58:06 pm »

Well from where I,m sitting it reads
Chit Chat....
almost anything you like in here,..what part of all that do you not understand,..is it maybe "almost"..what,you tell us,
and as for Martin directing insults,...he,s not got an insulting bone in his body,
me on the other hand, i,ve got loads, %%

Wullie
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.