Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Propshaft know-how  (Read 3608 times)

para_handy

Propshaft know-how
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:32:02 pm »

Can anyone tell me the proper way to lubricate the propshaft and do yo fill the tube to capacity or what ??

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
Re: Propshaft know-how
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:22:22 pm »

Para Handy
 Great name, I have the books and the last few episodes of the series on DVD
Anyway, I withdraw the shaft and use a srynge to pump light grease, not vasaline as that is water based, into the stern tube, you wont fill it, as when you replace the shaft you push it out the other end, hold your finger over it when you push the shaft in. If the tube is already fixed as I suspect it is, then have a look at the Cornwall model Boats website, they do a nylon flange that you can fit around the shaft for oiling or greasing. I think they do the srynges as well. You can find them on the traders directory.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:44:41 pm »

Bosun is right, Cornwall Model Boats sell the grease and the oiler block to go round the prop shaft casing.

The oiler block means you can lubricate without removing the shaft.

All on this page, just scroll down.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/prop_shaft_accessories.html

You should now get loads of different ideas  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 06:28:20 am »

It does of course depend entirely on the size of the model and the power in the motor.  Grease is fine for larger models but for a lot of very small models and for instance plastic kit conversions grease is far to heavy and can actually prevent the shaft from turning or at least overload the motor.  In the case of small models use oil, which would be best put in through an oiling tube if one is fitted.  If not you would have to follow a similar procedure to the one described above.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

para_handy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 07:35:12 pm »

the boat is a 1915 steam drifter 50" long it is battery powered and the propshaft is built in but i had already fitted a stuffing tube homemade, i have tried light oil but it just leaks out at the stern gland, so i will now try the grease.
                                                                                                     Para-Handy

rathikrishna

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:37:52 pm »

Hai friend..will you post some of the pics here..of your craft..?  please its a request...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.