Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 48 INCH Perkasa.  (Read 3849 times)

dave301bounty

48 INCH Perkasa.
« on: September 24, 2010, 08:18:30 pm »

Got this Perkasa ,48 inch long ,3 screws powered by a petrol engine ,got to put electrics in ,what type of motor will be good enough and how do you set this up ,The boat is an old /but good conition ,think it was 1970 s ,not sure ,fantastic engine ,but not for me . any answers ,and the pictures should be on the way ,  thankyou .

triumphjon

Re: 48 INCH Perkasa.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:55:50 pm »

are the three screws currently all driven from the petrol engine ?

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 11:34:21 pm »

Hi Dave, This thread demonstrates a high performance single shaft/prop setup using an  MMB 900 12 pole motor installed in a fibre glass 49" hull, although you may have the alternative 49 kit with a wooden hull. This single prop setup should be just as effective on either hull type.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17381.0

My own 49 grp Perkasa was a much earlier build (almost 10 years ago) using a twin shaft/ prop setup and it had a very fast performance, in spite of carrying twin 12v 7Amp/hr s.l.a. batteries which were very heavy. I gave precise details of this installation on the thread link given  below. This thread was also concerned with a wooden hull 49 Perkasa  restoration.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18030.0

You could also consider a brushless motor setup, however others members must  advise who have appropriate experience and can offer help in choosing/sizing an appropriate brushless installation.
Could you post a photo of your boat's current i.c. triple shaft setup. I'm sure Perkasa fans would like to see a picture of it.  :}

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 08:31:18 am »

Photos added Dave!   ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dave301bounty

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:26:30 pm »

Thanks to all ,,yes ,all three props are driven by that engine ,very noisy very fast ,not my liking ,so i shall ,when the time is right ,try out a decent electric ,I have a decent selection .  thank you .

keef666

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 09:04:57 pm »

Dave before you remove the petrol motor, do you think it would make it across the Mersey and back!

dave301bounty

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:10:39 pm »

Hi Dave, This thread demonstrates a high performance single shaft/prop setup using an  MMB 900 12 pole motor installed in a fibre glass 49" hull, although you may have the alternative 49 kit with a wooden hull. This single prop setup should be just as effective on either hull type.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17381.0

My own 49 grp Perkasa was a much earlier build (almost 10 years ago) using a twin shaft/ prop setup and it had a very fast performance, in spite of carrying twin 12v 7Amp/hr s.l.a. batteries which were very heavy. I gave precise details of this installation on the thread link given  below. This thread was also concerned with a wooden hull 49 Perkasa  restoration.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18030.0

You could also consider a brushless motor setup, however others members must  advise who have appropriate experience and can offer help in choosing/sizing an appropriate brushless installation.
Could you post a photo of your boat's current i.c. triple shaft setup. I'm sure Perkasa fans would like to see a picture of it.  :}
I will post a picture of the gearbox ,the chap who made this box worked for the very famous ,M A N engine factory ,and he knew what he was doing ,it is clever ,and very well made ,so I shall post as soon as ,got to get this boat into the right place to take any decent pictures ,,also have to move around a lot of gear that is being disposed of in due course ,boat related ,and otherwise ,there is no telling what a relative will hoard for years ,and when the time comes for a move ,stuff has to go ,and car boots are not the answer ,i have a hoard of River Mersey related gear ,and Shipyards ,All of them on the banks of the river ,time is the thing ,one has to look at things in a realistic way ,if it is important ,or does it contain history . Most of the model boat related items ,will go to a club ,I will never use them .

dave301bounty

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 09:14:11 pm »

Keith ,It would ,but I am not the person to do it ,all the gear is here ,just needs petrol ,,,I think and a steering servo .Not too hard for You to do ,there you are ,

keef666

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 09:17:24 pm »

Dave just thought for a laugh on a calm day could sail it across, but then on the other hand it might come to a stop and be crushed by a supertanker!

dave301bounty

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 09:35:07 pm »

Heavens ,that would be fatal ,but i know another ,sail it round the park at Sefton ,no one to complain ,or the little green men that usually appear when there is a new? ? , Anyway Keith ,I am going now ,have to watch the black stuff .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.