Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need some building help please  (Read 1845 times)

taximart

I need some building help please
« on: September 25, 2010, 03:25:59 pm »

Hi, I am about to build the Veron vosper rtt launch. I have the original kit and I would rather copy all the parts and cut them out rather than destroy the kit. I could trace each part but I wondered if any one could help me with a better way. I thought of scanning the but the balsa and ply sheets are too big for the scanner. taximart

Wasyl

Re: I need some building help please
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:39:01 pm »

May I suggest you go along to a commercial printers, the one,s that copy building plans etc,,their scanners are very big,any largish town or city must have an outlet,

Wullie

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 07:02:59 am »

To be honest I think tracing is about the simplest and easiest way of doing it and so I suspect that you might struggle looking for something better.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:47:53 am »

I thought of scanning the but the balsa and ply sheets are too big for the scanner.

When I did the same thing for the eezebilt boats I scanned the balsa in stages. If the part was too long for the scanning bed I made a mark on it and scanned it in two goes, making sure that the mark was on both scans. I found that I could then print out the scans and join them up to reproduce the piece. Be sure to add data on what the material is, where the grain goes, etc  http://modelboats.hobby-site.com/triton7.pdf is a reasonable example.

The advantage of getting your plans into computer readable format is that they will be easy to store, and easy to reproduce. If you trace each part you then have to store the tracing paper somewhere where it won't get damaged or lost, and if you want to reproduce it you have to undertake an arduous tracing again...

taximart

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 07:34:52 pm »

Hi everyone thanks for your help.  Dodgy geezer I  Will try out your idea's thanks very much.

ayrshire andy

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 10:31:16 pm »

Hi taximart,

You could probably use one of my favourite tools, the router, to non-destructively route around the thicker parts to produce an exact copy without the pesky margin which usually results from tracing round...beware though that the router is a potentially lethal power tool which, as it needs some controlling side pressure to hold its rapidly spinning pilot bit against the original part, might only be suitabe for copying flat panels thicker than 2-3mm, though if anyone has safely and successfully routed round stuff much thinner please tell us all how its done...good luck with the build of a cracking boat!

Regards,

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.