Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: making stantions  (Read 3916 times)

joppyuk

making stantions
« on: September 26, 2010, 10:20:58 am »

while making my current model I'm planning my next, which will be a scratch built pre-dreadnought. I've had a brief look on the various boards, but has anyone a source of information on how to make stantions? I've no metalworking experience but willing to have a go. If all fails I may have to buy some, which defeats the 'scratch built' ethos in my mind.

meyer

Re: making stantions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 11:08:07 am »

LOL
how bizzare is this I too have been looking into this very subject searching the forums with no avail.
Bluebird mentions making split pin stanchions in one post, so I pm him came bacj to the main forum
clicked "view unread since last visit" button and found this post....wierd or what  ok2

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 11:47:05 am »

Welcome joppyuk ..... O0...just post a photograph/digital image of what you mean as a stantions & from there I am sure a member will assist........Derek  :}
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:59:27 am »

Perhaps Dicky  O0 O0 could tell/show us how he does his railings on his builds. :-)) :-))
Noted that they are brass on his recent Corvette :-)) :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 12:13:11 pm »

Sorry, didn't make them they are etched brass from http://www.johnrhaynes.com/ with silvered wire handrails.  :embarrassed:
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 12:50:57 pm »

It all depends on the scale really. If the rails are very small then individual staunchions are not really feasible and the railings are best soldered up on a jig. Otherwise the split pin method is an option. Soldering lengths of rail is a good method as when cleaned up you can simulate the balls with drops of PVA glue before painting. The danger lies in making the staunchions too thick and prominent, when you look at photos of old warships the railing are not very obvious.

Colin

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 02:03:53 pm »

Thank you.
The blob of glue is the trick  :-)) :-))

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 03:10:00 pm »

Hi there Meyer
I am putting the reply to your PM on the open forum, cos I am unable to send a drawing through PM’s (unless there is a way I don’t know of  ).
A while ago, I made stanchions for HMS Leeds Castle and the SS Moray Firth, I used  1/32 brass split pins.   These split pins came from a trade stand at the Harrogate Show and for the life of me I cannot recall the name of the guy, but he did have a wide selection of split pins, rivets & so forth – he was selling them intentionally for the steam engineers amongst us.   To be honest, they are one of the most difficult things to source as regards the correct size needed – plenty 1/16 diameter split pins at various lengths – but – once below that size it becomes more difficult to find.   The way I made mine originally was using a pair of ‘flat nosed’ pliers; fitting a 0.8 high speed drill shank, into the split pin where I needed the ball joint location and then crimping it with the pliers.    I have found that the legs of the split pin tended to twist and stay open.   
So, I made myself a small jig from a 3 inch steel hinge (from an old door) I closed the hinge up first of all and I then drilled 2 holes at 90° 0 one hole a slightly smaller diameter than the split pin I was using, the other hole was for the steel hardened pin to form the ball joint.    There is a 3rd hole which is slightly larger than the other 2 holes which is drilled in the position where the first 2 holes dissect.  This is to allow relief for the shaping of the ball.
Using this method, kept the legs of the split pin true – and I was able to make 2 & 3 bald stanchions quite easily.   
I am attaching a scribble of the hinge jig I made to help you understand how I have done it.   For smaller scale stanchions, I tend to use ready-made ones, especially at 1/96 scale.   I have used John Haynes’ brass etched stanchions – although they are excellent stanchions I found them slightly fragile for a working model – they are excellent though for a static model – being easy to fit and solder or glue.
For deck edge and vulnerable areas on a model I use James Lane (Display Models) Ltd, Blyth, Northumberland.   He advertises in Model Boats magazine, but, he doesn’t yet have a website.   These stanchions of James Lane are made up on the same principle as the split pin – and they are a lot sturdier, especially if they are soldered.    He does a lot of scales on request.
Hope this is of some help.
Aye
John e. Bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

meyer

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 04:07:53 pm »

Thanks John
this is exactly what I was looking for many thanks

joppyuk

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 07:16:19 pm »

Sorry I can't post a picture, I've only just mastered the writing part. Hopefully that's the next learning experience! However, the bit I mean is the upright holding the wires/rails round the deck edges. I haven't got my plan handy (it's in the shed and I'm in front of 'Countryfile') but IIRC they are about 10mm high with a chain/wire midway up and one at the top. Plenty of ideas above though.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 10:10:45 pm »

Thanks Bluebird  O0 :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.