Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: First Scratch Build - 1870s Costal Defence Ship  (Read 14953 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: First Scratch Build - 1870s Costal Defence Ship
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 08:15:33 pm »

Your doing all right matey. What a learning curve.  All exiting good stuff.

Believe it or not, when your near the end you forget those tiny imperfections and even more so when she's on the water.  Keep your chin up, it's going well

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Dreadstar

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 11:39:12 pm »

There's nothing wrong with what you've achieved so far Graf,my Corvette has quite a few imperfections about her too,especially the hull form,but you don't see it unless you're really looking for it. Just take your time,and if there's a part that you're not happy with,then cut it off and re-do it.
 I never thought that when I started the corvette that it would end up looking as good as it did.
 The only real advice I can give you is,if when reading the article or looking at the plans,you can see an easier way of doing it,then just go right ahead and do it. At the end of the day,it's your model,and if you're happy with the end result,you can't ask for any more.

Keep up the good work

David.

GrafVonJon

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 08:42:17 am »

Cheers guys,

I found the coamings quite difficult due to the angled joints: I have no mitre box to achieve a clean join, at least not at this scale anyway.
It wasn't too bad as the inwhales and bulkheads provided a platform to glue onto.

I'm not looking forward to the next task however, which is to construct the tightly-fitting lift-off section around it. There will be nothing to glue to on this section other than the surface of the butt joints so I'm wondering if I can manage this.

The deck will add strength eventually, but constructing the framework to begin with looks like the trickiest part so far.

GrafVonJon

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 09:59:39 pm »

Tonight's Progress:

The framework for the lift-off section constructed around the coamings. Cligfilm is stopping the two sections bonding to one another.
Possibly overdid the pegs, but I like to take a "belt and braces" approach to these things  ;)

Dreadstar

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 06:27:12 pm »

You can see how I'm progressing Graf in the beginners section. :-))

rathikrishna

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 09:15:08 am »

Its a nice effort...waiting to see as it is finished...

GrafVonJon

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 10:55:24 am »

Build is going pretty slowly...

Have the bow section of the deck in place now, and have finished the lift-off section too.

I have no radio gear, propshaft, motor or any other gear so I'm not doing anything further to the the hull until I get these bought and fitted (expect lots of stupid questions from the first timer on this one!).

Any modeling work will now be on the superstructure, upper deck and turrets.

Dreadstar

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 05:39:58 pm »

How's the build coming along Graf?

GrafVonJon

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 06:10:16 pm »

I've been away on holiday until today, so the build has been on hold.

I have tomorrow off work before going back, and this has been set aside for boat building!

I'll post an update and some pics tomorrow evening.

How's yours going Dread? You'll be finished by now judging by the rate you were going before I left  :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 06:59:02 pm »

Nearly there now Graf,take a little look-see.

GrafVonJon

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 11:16:47 pm »

Very nicely done Dread, amazed you got there so quickly. I'm way behind.
Looks very nice on the water.

Regarding the upper fly deck: I'm thinking of fitting railings/stanchions around this, instead of solid sides.

What do people think? Is this in keeping with ships of this era? Or would it look out of place?

GrafVonJon

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 11:22:29 pm »

This is the area I mean...

Stanchions instead of 'walls'... What do you think?

Dreadstar

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 07:04:21 am »

Looking at photo's from this era,of this type of ship,they all seem to have the solid sides,possibly splinter protection Graf. At the end of the day though,it's your model,and you should go with what you prefer.I think that it would look quite nice done that way,but if later on you  think that it looks odd,you can always add 'canvas' sides to the rails,to make it look more in period. :-))

GrafVonJon

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2010, 03:33:58 pm »

OK, progress so far... Going very slowly, but then I have been very busy.

I have been modeling the boat above deck, as until today I had no running gear.

I have built the charthouse and walkway. I have applied card over the balsa which I have indented deeply with a biro. I'm hoping this will look like planks of wood once I've painted it. A bit of drybrushing should let the recesses be seen nice and clearly.

Next I made the canons. I used 3 different diameters of aluminium tube, set inside each other and filled with epoxy.

I have also made the turrets. I couldn't find anything suitable lying around so have turned them out of a log (sycamore I think) that was lying around. I turned the cylinder down to the right diameter and then cut 2 discs from it.

I now need to work out how to fit the running gear I bought this morning.

Can someone help? The propshaft looks easy enough, but the rudder leaves me a bit puzzled.
There is an O-ring on it, which I presume needs to be on the outside of the boat. But won't this mean some very accurate drilling on my part in order to make a watertight seal?
Also the underside of the hull is sloped, so will I need to add a couple of 'noggins' of wood to make the rudder shaft sit perpendicular to the water surface? I'm worried it will stick out at a funny angle when I tighten it up other wise. See the pics:

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2010, 03:56:39 pm »

Best get the rudder shaft vertical - and once it's in place, smear around the tube on the inside of the boat with araldite or similar, to ensure it's waterproof and held in place firmly.

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2010, 05:36:57 pm »

I would fit the propshaft first to get angle and prop clearance before rudder.  Rudder post to be vertical , use block with angled base and top level.
..well can you land on this?

GrafVonJon

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2010, 05:48:06 pm »

Cheers,

I've got the prop shaft gluing as we speak... Although most of the araldite seems to be glooping out of the hole and onto my floor!
I'll let it dry and then stick some more around it tomorrow.

I cut some angled blocks of balsa earlier. Will see if they're a good fit in the morning. Don't want to move anything else now until the epoxy has set.  :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2010, 03:33:38 am »

I am not an expert, but this is how I would do it.

I would use a block inboard to support the rudder tube.
This would have a hole cut in it for the rudder tube/

You can forget about using the thread to tighten the rudder tube in place, just glue it. In other words, you can discard the nut, washer, and 'O' ring.
The rudder shaft will then just pop in nicely.

The top of the rudder tube should be above the waterline to stop water coming in. If it has to be below the w/l grease the rudder tube first.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

GrafVonJon

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2010, 01:00:23 pm »

Cheers TigerTiger,

That's the way I'll do it. Good point about keeping the top of the rudder tube above the waterline, I realise why but would have overlooked this if I installed it without asking.

joppyuk

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 06:08:20 pm »

How's the build going? Have you stalled, or just had no time to post. How can I ideas if you don't write about them? Seriously, was enjoying the regular news and finding parts quite useful/

Dreadstar

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2010, 06:49:48 pm »

I would be very wary of using turned wooden turrets on this model Graf,unless you've bored out the underside of the turrets,as you need to keep the top-weight down. Build as light as possible on the superstructure,so that you keep the c/g as low as possible,this helps prevent the ship from turning turtle due to tophamper weight.  <:(
 You asked me a while ago why I went for a stepped stern on my ship,now you've found out the reason when you've tried to install the rudder assy. On the stepped stern,you have a horizontal plate with which to work,rather than an angled one,and by reinforcing the balsa with a couple of very thin ply plates,you get a secure mounting for the rudder. :-))

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 08:23:52 pm »

Earlier on solid bulwarks (rails ) were mentioned ...this age of vessel often had solid bulwarks to raise the freeboard (Hight of deck above the water) as they were often very low in the water but the bulwarks were often hinged so they could fold down and not obscure the Guns...
 Nice job so far.
Freebooter  :-))
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

scout

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2010, 08:49:54 pm »

Hi We have a chap in our club doing this boat his first model he is using the plastic top off Sharwoods spice sauce mix for his gun turrets they are the right diamiter hope this helps Yours Scout

GrafVonJon

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2010, 01:07:41 pm »

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions and sustained interest in this thread.
I have been very busy lately so not had much time to build or post.

I'm getting back on with it now though.

The turned wooden turrets have indeed been routed out underneath in order to keep the weight down. They were very heavy, being made out of sycamore!

Not much progress to be worthy of posting pics. Have just glued the rudder in place and have been applying sanding sealer to the wood.
Have the day off today, so hopefully get some more modelling carried out before going back to work and inevitable "evening only" regime of building.

Just need to find a suitable tube for the funnel and I can start gluing it all together.

Once I get some paint on I'll post some pics.

Soooo... Next question: what do people recommend for paints? I was hoping to use aerosols for the major areas and will add the detail by hand.
Any good brands? I really hate the consistency of Humbrol enamel paints.
Can I stock up on aerosols at B&Q or Halfords? Or is it another trip to the model shop?

Dreadstar

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 01:43:40 pm »

I used 3/4" overflow pipe for my funnel,it's about the right diameter and nice and light too. A lot of the lads on here seem to swear by Halfords spay paints,though I tend to use acrylic paints normally formulated for lexan bodyshells. Failing that,I just use whatever paint I have lying around the house. :embarrassed:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.