Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuart Boiler with Puffin Engine - Help required  (Read 12494 times)

peteg220

Stuart Boiler with Puffin Engine - Help required
« on: September 27, 2010, 04:55:04 pm »

I have just purchased a new boiler and engine (both brand new from Stuart models - Puffin) for my Krick Victoria boat and am having problems getting the burner to function properly. the burner ignites, but the flame doesn't travel down the funnel to the burner, all that happens is i get a large flame burning at the top of the funnel. I am using a refillable gas tank (supplied by Stuart models) and the burner is inside the boiler, although it can be removed.
I have tried lighting it from the top and also by removing the burner, lighting it and putting it back in (the instructions supplied with kit recommend lighting it from the burner first, to set the correct air/gas combination and then light from the top of the boiler, but no joy...
If anyone can give some some advice that would be great.
Cheers
Pete

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Re: Stuart Boiler with Puffin Engine - Help required
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 06:53:04 pm »

What gas are you using Peteg?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:48:07 pm »

Have you set the gas jet in the burner ? look in the instructions if not ill post a set

Peter

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:07:36 pm »

Just my thought as well Peter, it makes a huge difference.  If I remember correctly the tip of the burner nozzle is supposed to be 2mm from the front of the air holes but as you say, check the instructions.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

KBIO

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:31:59 pm »

Hello Peteg!
I had the same problème at the begining. I was opening the gas valve too much and the flare was above the furnace.
Just crack open your valve (a leak) . No stream . Leave your lighter on and when the gas hits it, it ignits and the flare goes gently in. Leave it warming a bit and open gently your valve until the jet does the job.

You can also use a fan on top of the furnace to increase gas outlet and ignit from the burner itself ( trains steamer are using this method and it works pretty good , above all with double burner.
I do not say this is the solution, but it may be.
I hope this will work, but it has to work.
Regards

peteg220

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 08:51:09 pm »

Thanks for the responses guys.
Greg - am using standard 'camping' gas, propane/butane mix
Peter/Bunkerbarge - I have altered the setting of the gas jet and used the settings recommended in the manual (they recommend a gap of 4mm), although it isn't very clear where they are measuring the gap from in the diagram included with the instructions- the end of the gas jet to...?! However as you suggest, i will give the 2mm gap between the jet and the air hole a try tomorrow and see if that helps!
Last thing guys, am i right to try and light the burner from the top of the funnel? this has worked on a previous marine boiler however as this is the first Stuart product i have owned i am wondering if there is a more tried and tested method being used... The manual suggest removing the burner on the initial test, setting it up and then lighting it, with subsequent runs being lit from the top of the funnel. I have tried this and the burner does light, however it is very awkward and involves temporarily removing the gas tank from its position in the hull in order to remove/re-position the burner...
Once again guys, I appreciate the advice (I have had some experience with model marine steam however am always ready to take onboard some tips!)  :-))
Pete

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 10:51:28 pm »

If your purchase is brand new from Stuarts, why not ask Stuarts?

Barry M

peteg220

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 07:23:44 am »

Hi Barry,
One of the first things I did was to ask Stuarts; their response was:

'When this happens it is usually down to too much air in the mix, and adjusting the copper band to almost close off the hole will solve it.
When the burner has expelled the cold air from the boiler after a few minutes the band can be reset to about half the hole showing.
The other factor is the amount you open the gas valve to light the burner, this should only just be cracked open so that you can hardly hear the gas flow, any more and the pressure will be too much. This only seems to happen when the boiler is cold.'

Similar to the responses above i guess, it looks like its just a case of getting the tolerances with the gas and air mix to exactly the right level...

Pete

peteg220

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 07:36:07 am »

Further to my last post, the reason for putting this thread on the forum was to see if i could draw on the experience of other marine steam modellers, particularly those who own Stuart boilers and engines. And i think you will all agree, steam is much more interesting (albeit a little frustrating at times!)  :} than other forms of propulsion in model boats....
Pete

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 11:25:57 am »

Hi Pete, from what you say I think the manual is putting you in the right direction.  gas pressure could be an issue and so throttling the valve in until the boiler warms up may help and certainly the air supply plays a part in this.  By the way 2mm was only from memory so if the manual says 4mm I think 4 mm would be closer.  I suspect from your description that the burner is supplied with air through some sort of hole in the burner tube that is covered by a brass ring.  Moving the brass ring back and forth will open or close this hole and so admit more or less air.  The nozzle will probably be best set as per the manual, once you have decided what it is referring to then adjust the brass ring to give the best flame.

Unfortunately it is usually the case that these things have a completely different set of requirements when getting them going than they do when hot and under normal conditions so setting them up is usually a bit of a challenge.

You might also find that a gas attenuator valve is useful as it throttles in the gas supply anyway and then controls it to maintain a set pressure.  I wouldn't complicate the issue at this time though, I'd get the burner working as supplied by Stuart first but it may be something to think about later.

I have a Cheddar vertical boiler, bought from a gent who had unfortuately passed away and had quite a job getting the flame right.  In the end an attenuator valve and adjusting the burner tip to the correct spot made all the difference.

You can use a piezo system to ignite the boiler, Cheddar used to make one, but I have always lit at the top of the funnel and had not problems.  Just be careful that the flame does travel down into the furnace though as the funnel can suddenly get very hot if it doesn't.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 11:48:14 am »

to save you looking for one the  piezo system to ignite the boiler can not be used on a ceramic burner, they where only used on the return flu type and some verticals that used the gas nozzle type burner.

Peter

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 12:03:20 pm »

Thanks Peter, I've never actually seen one but heard of them.

geoff p

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 01:02:19 pm »

I don't know how relevant this may be ...

One of the rings on my gas cooker is ceramic, similar to what you guys are using I guess.  It has an indirect piezo ignition - the spark lights a pilot flame, which in turn wanders vaguely up the side to the top of the ceramic where it lights the main gas.

Might it be possible to adapt something similar for your situation?

Geoff

peteg220

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 03:33:05 pm »

Thanks Bunkerbarge, I think it's just going to be a case of play around with the settings until i get results; everything seems to point to the fact that the whole unit in general is sound, and the settings just need tweaking to get optimum results! Will keep you posted...
Cheers guys
Pete

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 03:37:24 pm »

try turning the gas on half and as you do have the lighter lit on the top of the funnel, it may pop once or twice but it will usually light and you will hear the roar, leave it a min then turn gas up.

Peter

peteg220

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 07:55:00 am »

Thanks Peter, had some success last night, got it going!

peteg220

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 08:02:34 am »

peteg220

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 08:05:54 am »

Previous pic is the boat with the krick unit installed; will fit the Stuart unit in due course....

kno3

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 05:14:31 pm »

To me that steam plant looks more like a Regner product, not Stuart Puffin or Cheddar.

KBIO

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 05:47:06 pm »

Hello!
I agree with KNO3 and I confirm : this Regner product! O0
Cheers! ok2

logoman

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 07:34:16 pm »

To me that steam plant looks more like a Regner product, not Stuart Puffin or Cheddar.

Pete said that the picture was of the plant that came with the boat, not his new Stuart plant.

KBIO

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 07:58:03 pm »

Good evening!
Pete said that the picture was of the plant that came with the boat, not his new Stuart plant.

Very true! O0 KBIO has to learn to read! %) <*<
Cheers!

bbjs

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 10:48:44 pm »

Pete - any plans to sell the old plant ?
 :-) %)
Would fit nice in one of my projects...

Cheers, Bjorn

peteg220

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 06:46:31 pm »

Hi Bjorn

No plans to sell it at this stage i'm afraid, it may be going into another model I have planned!  ok2

Pete

ps the unit featured in the photos was purchased from Krick... :-))

KBIO

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 06:03:25 pm »

hELLO§ :-)
I have the same problem that Peteg220! <:( No way to switch on my Stuart burner! :(( I have to pull the ceramic burner off the boiler, switch on fire and stick it inside to have it burning! O0 I try with & without cheminey, warming up the cheminey! I tried evrything!
I don't know! <:( I have no problem with my other Stuart! >>:-(
Also, if I push the burner at the end of its palce, it sounds like a "flute playing"! O0
I'll try again tomorow! Maybe tyhe night will bring me a solution!
Cheers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.