Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wiring  (Read 1903 times)

crzydoyle11

wiring
« on: September 28, 2010, 11:02:14 am »

Ok my question is simple this ! someone gave me a half of roll of phone wire just wondering if it would good, or bad to use for wiring my boat with it I will be using a 12 volt sys mostly..  wating to hear your thoughts on it shipmates thank you Brian.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:19:54 am »

If it's the flexible stuff, it's good for nearly anything except in the power circuits (Battery, speed controller & Motor).   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Rex Hunt

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:31:01 pm »

Can only echo Martin's answer.

If each wire is a single solid strand of metal, vibration/flexing will soon cause metal fatigue and failure.

If each 'wire' contains a number of fine strands......connection is likely to have a better chance of survival!

Rex

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:58:06 pm »

If its not single strand, its probably not telephone cable.  If its flat and multi- core, it could be cordage, which is multi stranded, if its circular cross section and stranded, its likely to be alarm cable.  A lot of telephone connections are insulation displacement types (like modified scotchlock), and these dont work well with strands, since the stranding is flexible enough to twist out of the way thus avoiding connection.  Strands work better with screw terminals than with IDC.
Single strand only becomes a problem when used improperly - unless its a very short length, it should be supported close to the electrical connection, and of course, the boat has been built so that there isn't a lot of vibration, hasn't it?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

crzydoyle11

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 03:28:53 am »

I think I under stand here about the wiring. I am meanly going to use it only for the lighting end of the boat..And not  on the motors or ESC. unit, or any other working parts that I may wish to hook up  Thank you much shipmates. Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.