Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Titanic: The Mission' TV Programme  (Read 5262 times)

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
'Titanic: The Mission' TV Programme
« on: September 28, 2010, 11:02:25 am »

Did anyone else watch this last night?

What did you think?

I personally found it very interesting, yet, as with all 'interesting' programmes these days, why do the producers feel that they must break it up into tiny bitesize chunks? One moment the team are forming the 7" x 3" x 7' steel billet for the stem, next moment the (forgive me PC afficianodo's) token black lady is wandering around in a closed down linen mill, with the rouse that 'this is where the linen for titanic was made'- great, and interesting in itself, but what has it to do with the fact the programme was supposed to be based around the project of dedicating a sculpture of the bottom third of Titanic's bow section for the first 30', which in itself was a great idea, but why make such a big thing about the team making it by hand- then getting 90% of it lasercut and machine rolled? And the sculpture wasn't made correctly anyway- as many of you will know Titanic's plates were 1 1/4"- 1 1/2" steel- the sculpture was made out of 3/8" plate.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: 'Titanic: The Mission' TV Programme
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:34:28 am »

You're right Greg, It was a bit "dumbed down," like so many programs these days.
These idiot young program producers who produce programs with about 20 minutes true content but pad it out
with inane chatter and over dramatisation and recaps & "still to come" rubbish! Grrrrrrr!   >:-o

I like a some of engineering type programs on 'Quest' (Freeview) are excellent, but "Rory McGrath's Best of British Engineering"
was a great concept but completely the wrong presenter, who openly admits in every program, he knows nothing about
anything mechanical! Chris Barrie (Red Dwarf) Mark Williams  (fast Show) &  Jonny Smith (Fifth Gear), all of whom convey a depth of understanding, experience & passion for the subject matter.

... don't get me started!  >>:-(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:45:43 am »

The producers need to take a look at the master / god of all TV engineering programs..................

Fred Dibnah.     

They could learn a lot from him.......

Mark.

I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

John Mk2

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:45:44 am »

I found Riveting  %) In places.

Roger in France

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 01:59:21 pm »

I agree the visit to the linen mill was an irrelevant distraction.

Can you advise me why commenting that the lady was "black" was also not an irrelevant distraction?

Roger in France

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 06:09:14 pm »

I agree the visit to the linen mill was an irrelevant distraction.

Can you advise me why commenting that the lady was "black" was also not an irrelevant distraction?

Roger in France

Yes Roger, her experience had no bearing on the content of the programme, and where the rest of the team were white males of a certain average age I couldn't help think she was there as a box-ticker rather than a genuine asset.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Roger in France

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 06:21:14 pm »

Greg,

I think you are missing my point.

You chose to make a reference to political correctness - in a mock apologetic way which clearly implied you have no time for such niceties and then mentioned that the presenter was a "black lady".

In the context that you were quite reasonably pointing out that the visit to the linen factory was an irrelevance and distraction from the main thrust of the programme, why then did you find it necessary to introduce your own irrelevant distraction?

Did it occur to you that the programme's Producer had contacted some TV/film agency near the linen factory, asked for a presenter to do the piece and that the best person for the job or maybe the only person available was the one used?

There is often more than one possible explanation for any fact. Yours may be a realistic one but it was still an irrelevant distraction.

Roger in France

dave301bounty

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:39:26 pm »

Well I saw this ,and stuck it out ,I watched every move ,and wondered where did the get there expertise from .I worked in a shipyard ,and  had a first hand experience of the hotting lads , they never used those pipe wrenches ,I never saw any of the reamering out that was a big and often hard part of the rivetting / platers job ,I still have a hand riviting hammer .I could go on ,I think the program could have been a lot better ,but you know ,not a lot of young uns are interested ,my memories are good ,it was a hard job .

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 08:50:16 pm »

I thought it was a reasonable programme as has already been said to may fill in bits.

Anyway there on to our Anchor next week which should be interesting!!

now this is how it was done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_LA_R4ifYk&feature=related and this was filmed at Hingley and Son's Netherton were they made the Titanic anchor.

Wonder how many times they will be able to swing a sledge.

Just out of interest here's a pic of the original before it left.

Wasyl

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 04:04:20 pm »

Well I saw this ,and stuck it out ,I watched every move ,and wondered where did the get there expertise from .I worked in a shipyard ,and  had a first hand experience of the hotting lads , they never used those pipe wrenches ,I never saw any of the reamering out that was a big and often hard part of the rivetting / platers job ,I still have a hand riviting hammer .I could go on ,I think the program could have been a lot better ,but you know ,not a lot of young uns are interested ,my memories are good ,it was a hard job .
I worked in the Robb Caledon shipyard in the early 70,s,and i was a paint-sprayer,"we were the bane of everyone,s life bar the Caulkers, as they were the bane of our life,"noisey b*****s,especially if we were in the double bottom, spraying,and they were going at it hammer and tongs,

Wullie

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 02:15:11 pm »

Last night program, about remaking one of Titanic's anchors was actually quite informative .... apart from the presenters!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 03:52:36 pm »

I have to say I was surprised that we actually had a steelworks left in the UK that could make such things.  ;D

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Nordsee

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 04:37:50 pm »

Haven't seen the programme so cannot comment, but I know about the way they are made, same here. No, I just wanted to say I saw a book for sale that claimed the Titanic did not sink, but it was her sister ship, and that it was all a big Insurance swindle, covered up by UK and US Governments. Quite what happened to the Titanic is not clear as the lady in the Bookshop asked me, quite cuttingly if I was going to buy the volume, as it was 29 quid I said "No" and left.! Any one else seen said book?And read it through?

DARLEK1

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 08:17:45 pm »

Do you mean the book "Titanic, the ship that didn't sink" ?

If so, it certainly makes me wonder!

Paul...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 08:45:48 pm »

Yes, that is the book Paul. It's a good yarn but I didn't find it very convincing. I think it's just a case of yet another person trying to make money out of the Titanic circus. Thr Olympic and Titanic were built almost exactly to the same design and structrural construction except that the Titanic had more of her promenade deck enclosed. The Olympic appears to have maintained her open promenade deck to the end of her life. To modify the Titanic to the earlier design would have required a lot of structural work involving a lot of workers and it beggars belief that if that had been done then the truth would not have emerged very quickly.

I think the original co author of the book subsequently disowned the hypothesis.

Colin

DARLEK1

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 08:52:28 pm »

Yes Colin, you are right, however, why build the fist ship "Olympic" with "DBs" the second Titanic, without and the third Britanic with, doesn't make sence, to skip that part on the middle ship to be built and not the first, "lessons learned" after the Olympic's collision with HMS Hawk??????

When first boarded by passengers and crew alike, why would Titanic have the same damage to her quarter as Olympic and the same degree of list??

Anyway, funny old thing isn't it?

Paul...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 09:15:17 pm »

Paul,

Yes, I don't suppose all the questions will ever be answered and no doubt there were some cover ups of one sort of another going on, there always are aren't there?

However conventional wisdom has it that after the Titanic disaster the Olympic was taken out of service to have double bottoms extended up the sides and Britannic was completed with them - not that it did her much good!

These ships were pushing the boundaries of engineering at the time and mistakes were certainly made. The contemporary German liners were not well constructed in many respects. The Imperator was top heavy to the point of instability and was renamed 'Limperator' as when her coal was low at the end of a voyage she always leaned over one side or the other. They had to cut 11 feet off the funnels, rip out all the marble in the First Class bathrooms and pour over 2,000 tons of concrete into the bottom to make her reasonably stable.

The Bremen and Europa between the wars were shoddily built and structurally weak. The French needed to virtually rebuild Europa after WW2 before she was fit to enter service as Liberte.

Us Brits didn't always get it right either. The much loved Canberra sufferered from getting the calculations wrong and the weight of the engines and boilers at the stern caused the bow to lift up too high! Again this was 'cured' by pouring concrete into the front end to level her up. This then meant that the hull was subject to strain from having a lot of weight concentrated at the two ends. Fortunately the ship's hull was built so strongly that it took the load but I think it did have some effect upon her handling.

There were also a couple of post war ships built for P&O to a similar design. One was fine, the other was so crank that her captain feared she would capsize if not handled with kid gloves!

Colin

The long Build

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 09:19:16 pm »

This ship building sounds a bit hit and miss. %%

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 09:32:18 pm »

Yes, to some extent it was, just like our models really.  %)

Computerised techniques have inproved things though so your world cruise should be pretty safe. However, the latest 'pushing the envelope' is to send non ice strengthened ships cruising down to the Antarctic where search and rescue facilities are severely limited. There have already been several 'near misses' and a major tragedy is not impossible. If the ship goes down and you get off it then surviving sub zero temperatures for several days before help can arrive is not an enticing prospect! A lot of experienced mariners think there is a disaster in the making here.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.