Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waveney Class Lifeboat query Aerokits.  (Read 4642 times)

soldier151

Waveney Class Lifeboat query Aerokits.
« on: September 30, 2010, 01:50:00 am »

Hi Guys,
I;m new to this but I hope you can help?  I recently bought a Waveney Class Lifeboat from EBay, its in fairly good nick but I want to completely restore it and super detail it it.  Now why did I buy it off Ebay?
My stepson was tragically killed in Australia late March this year and I want to dedicate this boat to his memory as many lifeboats are named after people.  This will help to raise money for the RNLI which I think Martin would have liked.  Now I think it is an Aerokits model as it is built from plywood and some of the pieces have numbers on them.  I have a stack of photos from 44mlb website, plus the Nicholas Leach Book plus the articles in Model Boats about the Scout (Metcalf Mouldings).  Unfortunately I am a pensioner so can't afford to buy a Metcalf Mouldings kit, especially after expensive flights to Australia, plus the funeral.  Does ANYONE have any plans for this kit? or can give me a copy of the Metcalf Mouldings details/plans or handrail bending diagrams.
I have started to strip the boat down, starting with the rear survivors cabin, good old Nitromose, and once completely clear/clean intend to add the relative rivets which are a feature of this boat.
I am lucky as I am in the North East of England (Newcastle) and have two boats nearby, 1 at North Shields which is used as a fishing charter, and another at Berwick which is used as a pilot boat.  I belong to Killingworth Model Boat Club which has a 1/4 mile long lake and I produce a bi-monthly magazine, called Making Waves, for our members, about 45 at the last count.
I might add that the hull appears sound and looks like it is plank on frame, will know better when paint is stripped off.
Thanks for your help and if you want to send me a private message, let me know through the Forum
Soldier151

furball

Re: Waveney Class Lifeboat query Aerokits.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:49:09 pm »

Aerokits never did a Waveney as far as I know, the only lifeboat they did was a 48' Solent. The only wooden kit I know about of a Waveney is actually by Dumas of the USCG 44' Moror Lifeboat - have a look on here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689096 (you might need to register to see the pictures, I can't remember...).

What scale is it?

Lance

(I really need to photograph the rest of the boats at Chatham...  :embarrassed:)

hmsantrim

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 03:38:43 pm »

Hi Furball.
             sorry you are wrong there.  Aerokits did both the solent and waveny life boats I have both models.  here is the copy from the
             last aerokit catalogue although the printer made a boob and called it a waverly.

cheers Frank

furball

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:24:52 pm »

Well, ** me!

I've never seen one of those at all!  :embarrassed:

What scale is it?

Lance

fatcat123

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 05:36:26 pm »

Hey Soldier151

See my site - www.danwalker.co.uk/boats.html for my metcalf waveney build.

As for plans, I will PM you.

Dan

hmsantrim

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:05:08 am »

Hi furball.
                  the Aerokit waveny is 1/12 scale.  At 44.5in x12.5in  Of course the us coastguard vessel is the origin for the RNLI waveny.

cheers Frank.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.