Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: All is still bright in the House of Mayhem!!  (Read 11345 times)

Timo2

All is still bright in the House of Mayhem!!
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:31:06 pm »

Ref 

FLJ    and now   DickyD

A Great LOSS to ALL

Timo2  <:(

Roger in France

Re: All is still bright in the House of Mayhem!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 05:50:40 pm »

There are still 4,839 Members. A large proportion of whom contribute. Some of those who resign frequently have alter egos in the Forum.

Roger in France

Master Cheif

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 06:05:41 pm »

puts hand up

'im an alter ego'

can you guess who it is yet?

mods shhhh i know you all know dont spoil my fun  {-)

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:10:25 pm »

puts hand up

'im an alter ego'

can you guess who it is yet?

mods shhhh i know you all know dont spoil my fun  {-)

So your posting on another thread about being new to the forum is a lie
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Master Cheif

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 06:14:05 pm »

not quite... new id to the forum so its semi the truth  {-)

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:32:19 pm »

A large proportion of members, and I include myself in that catagory, do not post answers, for many reasons,
ie.... A topic has been covered by others with more knowledge on that particular subject or
a topic has been covered by others who have noticed that thread or question first, and have maybe solved that particular
problem. I for one see no reason to post just for the sake of it as some seem to do,  to be honest I really dont see a large proportion posting, but I do see a nucleus of about twenty who contribute on a regular basis, and then some of them  use the site to post between themseves , and what they say has no interest to other,s.
This week two of our most knowledgable members have left, you say that they have alter ego,s, maybe so, but no more I suspect than some of our esteemed moderaters, Why has the thread by Dicky D been shut down, he was only saying goodbye to other members, and he never gave a reason for his leaving, or slagged anybody, but was instantly shut down, like it or not that smacks of Big Brother.
I for one have learned a lot from these two guys, at least they answered queries ect in english, and not spent hours trying to write rubbish in a scots accent, between themselves.  I think that that there leaving is a great loss to Mayhem.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 06:38:33 pm »

This is just getting silly.
Egos'? Second identities? What on earth are you playing at. "Playing" being the operative word here.
If your aims are to bring this forum into disrepute and quite possibly bring it to an end; then I congratulate you. You're doing a wonderful job. By your lights. Not by mine.
I've sort of noticed that quite a few "new" members are fairly "transient", have no input to anything remotely to do with model boats/ships and seem totally fixated on this "Chit Chat" site.
An imponderable problem for the moderators, perhaps.
I have no answer, but others may have. I hope so.  BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Master Cheif

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:03:38 pm »

As with all things there comes a time in peoples lifes where sometimes you need a break or to really let it blow and get it out of your system, hell i know i need to sometimes, take a week out or something come back refreshed.
The problem is many take things to much to heart, i know i do sometimes and its not just on a web page it can be in the real world as well, September marks the start of the winter season, many forced back to the sheds to do something to keep there mind sane as the lakes are starting to become off limits for what ever reasons.
 The other, xmas is just around the corner and as all know can be a stressful time for all, combined with a financial obligation to put the family first instead of your hobbies many don't build or buys kits this time of year so what happens.. BOREDOM! and with boredom comes the range of a 'million' posts a day 99% of which are total rubbish just to say ' hey im still here take 2 mins out to listen to me gabble on about nothings' to which the normal response is what we have seen over the past 2 weeks basically a  big 'shut up were tired of hearing your drivel'.

My issues are and always have been the hijacking of posts to talk nonsense other then subject matter related and when you make a mistake to have that thrown around every other post as a full on face smacking.

everyone makes mistakes its part of life its part of a learning curve. you make a mistake you learn from it you move on.

Im quite a pig headed guy no doubts there but that's my character, but im also a nice person to talk to, i will always try to help even if i do get it wrong but the intension was good, regardless how others perceive it.

and this is the general way for all people on here i expect, but at the end of the day and im sure i have said this before on my other account, not everyone will get one with everyone and such is life, but frankly do you really care what words on a screen say about you when really your nothing but a 'avatar' no one really knows who you are generally (although some do, in which case they already know the real you and they wont judge they will just understand)

at the end of the day this forum is for the sharing of information and we all have one thing in common which is the hobbie even if we cant all connect on a personal level doesn't mean that we can't appreciate others skills, information & knowledge they have accumulated.

and there in lies the issues and i mean no offence to anyone with this comment but a lot are stuck in the past in an old way of doing something, not open minded enough to understand that things change, generations see things differently, the world is different to many compared to others and until we can all understand each other there will never be a universal peace or understanding between us, but until that time all i can say is when the **** hits the fan take some time out, come back refreshed, forgive and forget move on and enjoy what we all have come here to enjoy!  :-))

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 07:28:28 pm »

Prophet
A lot of what you have said in previous posts have been very long winded, maybe that,s your way. You seem a very knowledable guy, but you strayed away from model boats, and became very opinionated, there in lay your problem, Most of the disruption this last week or so can, in all seriousness be put down to your being a bit of a barrack room lawyer. If you really believe in all you say, why have you changed your name three times, you know you have, your writings are a dead give away, and  why do you seem intent on stirring things up on here. I quite liked one of your initial threads about building a springer for your little girl, that was an interesting thread with good subject matter, why, could,nt you just carry on like that and earn the respect of guys who have been on this site a long time.
Insead of having an opinion on every single thread.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Master Cheif

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 08:05:20 pm »

err i changed my name once so i dunno about the other 2 your suggesting, you might want to get your facts right there.
 if you must know i have been active on the tug forum there not here, and im not 'stirring' things up im just pointing out the fact that it takes more then 1 person to tango.

in regards to my build threads until peoples overall attitudes change then no one deserves to see what i do.

no disrespect to anyone but i only came to the forum to share my knowledge base, to which many times including the 'springer build' i got my head ripped off - moderated -  over my interpretation of a plan that was supplied by the very forum im posting on! basically since then i haven't posted on any of my build threads, what's worse im not sharing the finished springer photos nor the photos and video of  my daughter having her first sail with me, I have now finished my huntsman build (paints hardening off as we speak)  yet again another build thats not going to be shared on here, and now im working on 2 tugs, neither of them are to be shard on here either!
i fail to see why i should waste my time sharing my personal enjoyment with others who will at the first instance stab me in the face and laugh!

believe me i have no issues not coming on the forum and not sharing my knowledge and experience with anyone here, if that's the overall feel of others then tell me now then i can quite easily stop then its not my loss its yours, do you know when i shut down my Prophet account i had over 200 emails sent to me asking why i left and where my posts are and when am i comming back?

just because a small minority don't like my opinions dose not mean im disliked.

and that's why i have returned today as a small minority of regulars asked me to, trust me when i tell you i can quite easily just close the lid on my puter and not waste my time with those who don't appreciate my knowledge,

i don't get paid to come here and help out, i do it as a good deed the same as most of you, which a lot of you should bloody remember sometimes.

its not a **** stirring matter its a matter of respect, if you don't show me some the hell your getting some back. you have to earn respect and to be honest many of you lost mine a few months ago with your own 'opinions' over something i want to do!

so here it is if you dont want me here on the forum tell me now make it an easy choice not to return because frankly after reading that little 'opinion' of yours just reitterartes my overall feel that this forum is not worth my time nor effort, no wonder - moderated - <*<  

Master Cheif - Red card. That is NOT what this forum is about.  Martin (admin)

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 08:20:54 pm »

Mater Cheif or prophet or whatever you want to call yourself ..........give it a rest will your giving an old man a headache
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

mattycoops43

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 08:21:40 pm »

I joined the forum, not long ago to learn about model boats.

I get the impression from the last few weeks, I have joined a group of cantankerous old "last of the summer wine" type wise guys, who can't accept anything unless it is done just how they think it should be done, and take great delight in picking holes in other peoples opinions.

I don't understand whats going on as I thought this was a great forum when I joined. I am a boat newbie, and the knowledge of the members, and the skills on display are awesome. What gives?

I don't really know ANY of the members on here, but having just read this post, I have to ask. "noone deserves to see what I do"? really? Ok. That makes things a bit clearer.

Matt (a big fan but rapidly losing interest)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »

Don't tar every one with the same brush Matt.  There are still a lot of very experienced modellers on here happy to share thier tips, tricks and skills with anyone so concentrate on those and don't be put off by the arguing and opinionating that goes on occassionally.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Wasyl

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 08:49:24 pm »

Mater Cheif or prophet or whatever you want to call yourself ..........give it a rest will your giving an old man a headache
[/quote
well do what the rest of us do,take,an aspirin,or ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and count to 10 it works every time,

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 09:04:13 pm »

Bunkerbarge is right. Mayhem is a pretty relaxed and friendly environment where almost anything goes. Most of the time that gives it a positive atmosphere but the occasional disadvantage is that every now and again we do seem to get these 'grandstanding' periods where a few people want to assert themselves one way or another and friction results. On other Forums this would probably not be tolerated. Model Boating attracts people from a wide variety of backgrounds and once you get off the subject that we all have in common then these differences can sometimes become apparent.

All we ask is that discussions be conducted in a polite and friendly manner without becoming personal. Some people find this difficult to accept and object to being moderated when they overstep the mark as defined by the Mayhem ethos and rules. Most people settle in fine, but if they feel that the Mayhem environment is not something they are comforatble with then there are plenty of alternatives which might suit them better. Martin's policy is to run Mayhem for the benefit of the majority and that's a very sound approach to doing things in my view.

If you look at the posts over the last week or so, despite the 'excitement' the Forum has been chugging along just as usefully as ever, just a bit more 'froth' than usual on top!

Colin

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 09:17:54 pm »

I think the dark night are drawing in and people are spending far too much time on the web rather than building and sailing!  %) We're all on here to enjoy the hobby and promote it as best as we can. Come on guys and gals, people make their own choices and should know how to behave. Let's get back to what we're all here for, boating not bickering...Dave  O0 O0 O0

PMK

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 09:24:49 pm »

I recently had a state-of-the-art defibrillator installed inside my chest. The nifty thing about this particular gadget is that it sends a daily ECG report to the local hospital via a wireless link from the defib' itself and then to a device which is permanently hooked up to my telephone line. If for any reason my heart is going out of sync, the folk at the hospital immediately receives the relevant warning on their computers via the telephone link, and then they holler to me that something is amiss and to get my butt into the hospital pronto-like before I end up having another heart attack.
Clever stuff, eh?

Heart attacks does funny things to the human psyche - it totally changes one's outlook on life. for instance, there was a time when such terribe spelling as that written by our new man Master Cheif would have sent me scatty. But these days, even taking ito account the fact that he cannot even spell "cheif" correctly means absolutely diddly to me at all. Furthermore, the fact that he sings his own praises all the time and somehow believeing that much smarter members than him are even remotely interested in any egotistical "advice" that he's so hell-bent on trying to share - even that doesn't bother me one iota, either.
In fact, this is the best thread that I've read in yonks. Mr Master Cheif just cannot seem to grasp the fact that folk are hinting to him to belt up, and yet he still persist in trying to shove his holier-than-thou ideals down our throats. This thread truly is the funniest thing since waking up half way through the defribrillator procedure and overhearing the Cardiologist telling the nurse a joke about the the Pope, the Nun and the choirboy.

firedup

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 09:44:52 pm »

I would like to make a suggestion drop the chat section / humour section on this forum far too often it seems to get out of hand then BIG BROTHER in the form of a moderator uses their power to cut the thread because it runs against their political ideology.
THIS IS THE ONLY FORUM ON WHICH I HAVE NOTICED THIS LEVEL OF SILLY NEGATIVE COMMENTS.
I will do my part by never responding to this section again honest (until some ***** winds me up again :}

The long Build

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 09:56:46 pm »

Question.
Is there a way in which the Chit chat posts could be shown on a different recent posts section as I think they can somtimes swamp the general Model Boating threads.   :-) That way if you want to chit chat you go there, away from the main board as a chit chat thread can lead to so many posts in a matter of minutes that it moves the general posts into oblivion.

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 10:01:57 pm »

just been reading the posts on this thread and dickies farewell note,,,,, why was it shut down ???  was dickie pushed or did he walk ? looks like we just lost a lot of input with dickies posts and knowledge and help ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  :police: did these guys stop dickie ?   you give him an award then send him off into the sunset,,,,,,,,,,, {:-{          brian_c

Master Cheif

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 10:03:02 pm »

MODERATED

Thread removed due to it's content not being suitable for a family forum

Brian

Global Moderator

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 10:08:05 pm »

Glad to hear the electronic ticker is doing a grand job PMK, I hope it doesn't say Microsoft anywhere in the user manual!  ok2

Incorrect spelling is annoying but it's not a deal breaker (sorry, too much American TV!), Mayhem is all inclusive....
 ....  even I'm allowed to post on here.

Only requirements for Mayhem are mutual respect..... and a mature attitude.  :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 10:13:01 pm »

Only requirements for Mayhem are mutual respect..... and a mature attitude.  :-))

err, dickie had those requirements      {:-{

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 10:22:56 pm »

err, dickie had those requirements

But perhaps fell slightly short of them himself. He has contributed a lot to Mayhem  and there is no reason why that should not continue - but that is up to him.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 10:23:26 pm »

unreconcilable differences  :((
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.