Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: All is still bright in the House of Mayhem!!  (Read 11343 times)

mattycoops43

Re: All is still bright in the House of Mayhem!!
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 11:44:50 pm »

Thanks Bunkerbarge. I know I am a relative newbie, but I think I have been on here enough to make a comment.

I certainly don't tar everyone with the same brush, I don't want to take sides either! I see a lot of sense talked on this forum, I just find it slightly odd, I am a regular member on a fairly small flying forum, where I know many of the posters in real life, and on a large model car forum too, although I don't really know them personally in the same way. This is the only forum I have ever joined where there seems to be a string of people throwing their toys out the pram. (just to clarify, some of the posts I have seen of this nature have seemed reasonable to me, and some not, so I am not critisiszing everyone who has posted a "make a statement" topic).

I have to say the chat section is important in any forum, it helps us to find out about each others personalitys. I don't think it should be dropped. I have never seen comments of the type we're discussing on another forum, I don't know, but I think it's because if people say things that are well out of order, they pretty much get shut down straight away by everyone who reads it and told where to get off. I don't agree with posts being locked or removed because they say something a mod doesn't agree with. I don't agree with Dicky's farewell post being locked at all. I don't know the guy, and I don't really know what has happened. I know that if he had posted some inflammatory comment digging holes in the forum, then it should be banned, but I don't see the problem with the post????????????? (apologise for excessive question marks).

I have read posts from first timers where their spelling and punctuation was critisized, in fact it happened to me when I first joined and I take pride in the fact that I never use a spell checker because I think we should all be able to spell, but we can't all spell and we have to accept that. I hate text speak, and on all forums it's banned, but you can't criticise for the odd word or phrase that has become common useage in english. In FACT! All you criticisers who use smileys, they are "txt spk" so I suggest you get over yourselves.

Anyway, I have said before I know I am opinionated! So I suggest you all consider yourselves told! ;) and get used to it. :)

Matt (my real name, and the only one I use and I don't have any alias's and I don't really care if anyone else does if thats what gets them going)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 12:01:59 am »

Ah well Matt, the Forum name is Mayhem so you have to make some allowances.....

Colin

mattycoops43

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 12:04:51 am »

LOL. The funniest thing is, if I imagine you guys sailing around a boat pond, i see everyone all criss crossing over each others paths and causing mayhem. I really do! Must be subliminal.

Wasyl

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 01:09:32 am »

LOL. The funniest thing is, if I imagine you guys sailing around a boat pond, i see everyone all criss crossing over each others paths and causing mayhem. I really do! Must be subliminal.
What were you saying about smileys being txt spk,..from where i,m sitting your comments are like, "the kettle calling the pot black" {:-{..if you get my drift, ;)

Wullie

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 01:53:25 am »

***One of the biggest concerns of the moderators right now is the level of sniping going on. And it is clearly seen on here as well.
It needs to be respected that people here have lots of knowledge. Some of it not all members will agree with. The writing style of some members may not be appreciated by all.

But that does not excuse personal attacks. And it may not be noticed but there are instances of members ganging up on others. I don't mean in an organised way, but a de-facto harassment of members.
There are rabble rousers and there are followers.

This is very much against the spirit of mayhem. It is unnecessary.

Please stop sniping.***
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 06:37:35 am »

Come to Wicksteed Matt

Yours Aye
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010, 06:47:24 am »

Matt I think you make some very good points and, refreshingly for one who considers themselves opinionated, in a polite and well mannered way.  A lot of longer standing members who consider themselves equally opinionated could do well to take note.

Having been with Mayhem for a few years I have seen a number of ups and downs and I'm sure we'll go through more as time goes by.  Unfortunately what seems to get in the way more than anything is peoples ego's.  Too many seem to think that because they have posted more than anyone they have a right to thier opinions over any one elses or because they build more models thier techniques must be correct etc..etc..  At the end of the day if every one respected each other there would never be a problem, but sadly human nature doesn't work that way.

As regards locking DickyD's faewell post, unfortunately when people decide to move on it seems to be the norm to try to cause as much disruption as possible in the process.  Why wouldn't some one simply leave for instance, why do they have to advertise it?  We all have varying ideas of our own self importance, usually quite out of synch with everyone elses' or reality, and we like to think that without us the world will fall apart.  I am well aware that if I didn't turn up to work tomorrow things wouldn't stop and if I left Mayhem it would carry one equally as well without me but some people don't seem to be able to accept that.  There has been a lot of behind the scenes communications going on regarding DickyD and his displeasure at some recent events.  Unfortunately he couldn't accept the dent in his ego and so preparred to cause as much unrest as possible as he departed.  His parting swan song post was calculated to cause this unrest, in conjunction with pre-preparing other members to add to the post, so it was locked to prevent that happening.

At the end of the day we have lost a valuable contributor, which is sad, but no-one is any more important than the other members and no-one is above being brought into line.  There are a number of members here who have recieved some form of moderation or another and have admitted it was right, apologised and carried on with life.  I have a lot of respect for them for simply being honest with themselves and accepting what was said.

The future of Mayhem is in the hands of people like you Matt so I hope you can see why things are done the way they are and enjoy your time here and become a valued contributor who can help others along the way.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010, 06:57:41 am »

cannot wait till Mayhem weeekend next year, Will see a lot of you at Warwick though, eating cake and drinking tea, and looking for Phil's elusive £20 note!!
Also please remember.....IT IS A HOBBY, WE ALL ARE MODEL BOATERS, AND WE SHOULD ALL BE HAVING FUN!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 08:01:47 am »

Mayhem members........being 22,000 km away [but only short as 1 electron in time] I have restrained from commenting on this  >>:-( issue  ....however I must agree with the content here in  the latest posting by Richard...[bunkerbarge] as Posted on: Today at 06:47:24 AM .......

I look forward when I next awake to see the postings & view the build details from our members ..........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 08:07:57 am »

Come over to England Derek, I'll find you an old tent for next year's Mayhem at Wicksteed!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mattycoops43

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 08:23:40 am »

Wullie, If you notice, I pointed out that some text speak has become so common in everyday useage that people use it in real life. I tend to restrict myself to that, language does change over time, whether we want it to or not.

Also, did the irony escape you? Did you not think I may have been doing it on purpose?

Matt (still thoroughly unbaited)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 08:24:43 am »

Come over to England Derek, I'll find you an old tent for next year's Mayhem at Wicksteed!  :-))

You'll have to promise him it won't take off like yours this year  :} :} :} :} :} :}
Don't Assume Check

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 08:25:17 am »

{-) {-) {-)...very kind of you Martin  :}

1. will it [the tent] be mouldy?
2. would it be air conditioned?
3. please confirm the sizing of the en-suite & bath dimensions

The latter is to ensure I have adaquate pre launching displacement trials as I am assured the SG of H2O in UK is very different to what we have in OZ.........  Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

mattycoops43

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 08:31:50 am »

All tents in the UK have air conditioning. The on switch is normally indicated with a "zip". Likewise, the entrance to the en suite facilities will also be indicated with the positioning of a "zip"  :embarrassed:

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 08:33:34 am »

Headache better now
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 08:36:01 am »

Zip? Zip?  That will be a modern tent then!  :D  Martin said an 'old' one. Still have air conditioning though set to ccccold  %% %%

PS smileys pre date sms texting by at least 20 years
Don't Assume Check

mattycoops43

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 08:41:18 am »

Yes, but only as stickers at raves you naughty boy!  ;D

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 08:42:18 am »

So is it zipped do da for the tents and looks like a lot of aspirins were taken, and whats irony and text speek  {:-{ {:-{ %) %)
Derek,
remember the saying Danger Danger  O0 O0

It is very informative particularly for the far flung reaches to have some input by a moderator which helps clear the air and calms the bedlam back to mayhem.

Long may it prosper  :-)) :-)) :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 08:44:38 am »

1. will it [the tent] be mouldy?
2. would it be air conditioned?
3. please confrim the sizing of the en-suite & bath dimensions

1. Guaranteed.
2. ... it's full of holes!
3. ... the bath is 30 x 90meters ... with model boats on it!

{-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

The long Build

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2010, 08:49:32 am »

Has a date been set for Wicksteed yet ?.

Timo2

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2010, 09:09:36 am »

Hi to All  Members  and  Moderators

This thread start as lament to two great members how have  forgotten  more an most Builders will ever know

Moderated - Admin.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2010, 09:18:59 am »

Yes, but only as stickers at raves you naughty boy!  ;D
Originaly known as a "stoned smile"  , I used to screenprint T-shirts.     BTW if it rusts then it is irony. {-)
..well can you land on this?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2010, 09:20:11 am »

hi all

I have been deliberately keeping out of this riff-raff and you may moderate this if you wish -

Sorry John,moderated,  your comments are just not unhelpful at the moment.
 DickyD has made his point and left because of unreconcilable differences with myself and the way I choose to run this forum.

I hope I'm seen as acting in the members & forums greater interest.  I'm not going to please everyone all of the time but I do
 bend over backwards double trying to supplicate all Mayhemers... just not possible in every case.   Admin.
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2010, 09:23:55 am »

Has a date been set for Wicksteed yet ?.

Mayhem at Wicksteed: May 28, 2011 - May 29, 2011    O0

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2010, 09:24:21 am »

hi all

Yes John the truth did hurt. Dicky was also responsible for bullying another member to leave the Forum, please include ALL the facts and not just the ones that suit your present cause.

Does the truth hurt????

ay
john
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.