Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cyclops....Dread's next build.  (Read 9496 times)

Dreadstar

Cyclops....Dread's next build.
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:55:12 pm »

This is going to be fun,with two of us building the same vessel basically. However,there will be quite a few differences between the two ships,with my build being a double ender,as opposed to Graf's build which has the rounded stern. The other main difference will be that I'll be using the same stepped stern as in my last two builds,rather than the sloped stern of the plan.
 I'm going for a 385 motor as the powerplant for this boat,with a 25mm 3-bladed Raboesh prop,powered by a 6V 4.5A gel cell. These coastal  monitors didn't require high speeds,so I think that this powertrain should be more that adequate for the job at hand. ;)

At the moment,the carcass is in the process of drying,with the first part of the kick-up stern in place. This is not meant to be a speed build,unlike the type 24,which I needed to build and seal in under 9 days. This is going to be a much more leisurely build,or at least it's meant to be anyway,but knowing me,I'll probably race through it like **** through a goose.Anyway,it's time for a cuppa Joe,si I'll post up some pics later on,once there's really something to see.

David.

meyer

Re: Cyclops....Dread's next build.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 01:04:47 pm »

Excellent news Dread look forward to the pics

Dreadstar

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:19:52 pm »

Ok,as promised here are some pics of the current build.

I've added a short sternpiece to enable me to clamp the hull sides together at the stern.I know that the stern bottom isn't parallel to the bottom,but that won't matter too much.

Dreadstar

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:31:41 pm »

Ok,with a lot of cursing and teeth grinding,I finally managed to get the first side on. If any of you decide to make this boat in this way,I'd recommend that you use 3/32" balsa sheet rather than 1/8"sheet,as it doesn't like the curve at the tip of the bow or stern.
 I think to be honest,that I've chosen the wrong name for this ship,I should have gone for one of the sisters instead:- Gorgon;Hecate or Hydra,lets face they're all nightmares.
 This is definately not a fast build,i.e. you can't throw this one together as fast as either the corvette or type 24. {:-{

Woah, hang on there my son,you only started this at around 10:30 yesterday morning. :embarrassed:

Is it a middleage thing this thinking that you don't have anything to show for a days work,because you're sitting around waiting for glue to dry? O0

Dreadstar

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 04:55:10 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dreadstar

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:10:06 pm »

????? Why point me to my own builds Martin???

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 06:13:33 pm »

Not you! Everyone else!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dreadstar

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:24:58 pm »

Ah,ok then.

2nd side now glued into place and rudder fitted,that's all that I can do to the hull today,as I really need to leave her overnight to make sure that the glue is fully dried before I take the tape off.At the bows,the balsa is under a huge amount of tension,and unless the glue has fully set,the sides will just spring apart. I think that this may be the reason that Clive went for vertical plating at both the bow and stern.
By the looks of things,this model may well require around 6-7lbs of lead in order to reach her waterline. Fortunately I have approx 12lbs of lead sheet here,so I'm covered in that regard. Her waterline is meant to be 2" up from the bottom of the hull,leaving just 1.5" of freeboard.

Dreadstar

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 06:42:50 pm »

Hmmmm,I see a cunning plan a forming. Looking at the hull as she stands just now,I'm thinking that a drop-in deck with the superstructure built up on it might be an easier way of doing the next part of the build. It just means that I'll need to take a few liberties with the design, to ensure that water doesn't get into the hull.
  If I build shelving bars around the opening in the centre of the hull,and I seal the lower face and edges of the deck piece,then I can create a reasonably watertight seal using that old favourite,Vaseline,well it works on the rear deck of the corvette,so why not. ;)

Dreadstar

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 06:17:37 pm »

Some pics of her current state of affairs,in the last pic,you can see the brass angle strip that I've used to reinforce the bow. The top deck will be glued onto the deck sheet,creating one single assy.

GrafVonJon

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 11:51:19 pm »

Looking good Dread, racing through it compared to me!

I really like the modification to make the bow and stern the same. looks more elegant.

I think you'll be finishing your's well before mine.  ;)

Dreadstar

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 12:14:18 am »

Possibly Graf,but I'm not in a hurry to finish this one,I don't have a self imposed deadline to meet unlike the type24,which I wanted to get finished,as far as I could,before the Warship Weekend.

I've got an idea for making the turrets,as I don't have a salt carton available. I'm going to cut out some balsa discs using a compass cutter, and make the sides of the turret out of card. I don't know if it'll work or not,but I'll give it a try.  :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 02:38:45 pm »

Well,what do you know,it worked. I cut 2 circles out of 1/8" balsa,spaced by two pieces of 5/8" scrap,and plated the sides with a 7/8" strip of card. Once it's been sealed and painted,you'd never know. The turrets have a dowel fitted to the underside,locating into a hole in the deck,so that they're free moving,rather than glued in plaace.
 I've just finished adding the card armoured belt to the rest of the hull sides,pics to follow once the glue has dried.

Dreadstar

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 04:23:04 pm »

Current build status. O0

rathikrishna

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 09:20:26 am »

OOOHHH god...Dread...is it a 6 volt 5 amp battery..? with a speed 400 motor..?..how fortunate people you are...you can buy any stuff that you need...oh nice. waiting for the final view of your craft..from where can i get its pics and blue prints..?..any idea..?  keep working..its nice...

Dreadstar

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 02:30:38 pm »

I'm working on her superstructure just now,a few photo's of where I've got to.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 12:08:08 pm »

Looks like it's taking shape very nicely! The double-ended hull definitely adds to the appearance, though it will be interesting to see how it sails!

I've been lent a set of HMS Devastation/Thunder plans by Mayhem member "joppyuk" so there may be a third Victorian ironclad build thread soon - though I want to get "Peder Skram" (rather similar looking, but 30+ years later) complete enough to sail first. 

Dreadstar

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 12:27:38 pm »

The more the merrier Edward,it will be good to see how a more experienced modeller goes about it. I'm having fun building these easy-built type models,but I don't think that I'm sufficiently experienced yet to try a more complicated build,this being only my 3rd ever model.
 Thanks for the kind comments lads,it's much appreciated. I won't be building anything today,as I had a little accident yesterday,when my scalpel blade snapped,and I took a chunk out of my nail and fingertip.....OUCH!  <:(  Who says that our models aren't built with blood sweat and tears? :-))

GrafVonJon

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 09:59:23 am »

Definitely starting to look like a ship now!

I like what you did with the turrets, I'm going to give it a go and use balsa. Still have a couple of 9mm scrap bits from the hull material.

I'm a little further behind, only just finished sanding the the deck hatch down to a decent finish! Reckon I'll be done by Christmas... Just.

Dreadstar

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 07:23:23 pm »

I don't have much more done to her just now,but I have added the gunbarrels to the turrets,and made up a pair of anchors and storage bins for the foredeck. The anchor chain might be a little on the light side,but I think it looks not too bad. I'll be picking up the other deck fittings that I need on Sunday at the Blackpool show. Hope to see a few of you there.

Dreadstar

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 02:02:35 pm »

I've done just about all I can for the moment,structure wise,until I can pick up the rest of the deck furniture that I need. My little friend Marvin wanted in on the act,so I took a couple of pics of him looking over the boat. :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 01:19:19 pm »

I'm going to be adding some of her additional weapons that were added during the 1885-89 refit,when she had 4x3pdr QF guns as well as 5 MG's and 2 searchlights added.  They were all placed on the upper flying deck,this may well mean that I'll have to modify the positioning of the ships boats to accomodate them. I'm not too sure as to the type of MG's that were used,and I'll probably just leave them off, though if they were of the Lewis type,then I can use MG's from my wargames collection,which being 15mm scale should look alright. :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 09:11:09 am »

Current state of build,with first sealing coat applied,waiting to be rubbed down. Then once I've done the 2nd and 3rd coats,I can start to get some paint onto her,but that won't be 'til after Sunday. Not being too sure quite what 3pdr guns looked like,I've based them on the 2pdr anti-tank gun in looks,which I think look ok.

pugwash

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 09:22:57 am »

Here you are Dread - hotchkiss Q.F. 3 pdnr Mk 1
Geoff
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.