Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the Forum...  (Read 4559 times)

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
Using the Forum...
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:42:49 pm »

...Good Evening Guys...

I am just getting up on to my soap box...Bear With Me...

Right Here Goes...
Why are  there  currently more postings on the Forum in the Chit Chat section about Non Model Boat related items than there are in all the other sections added together...

Come On Guys there are even postings about recipes...

This site is called Model Boat Mayhem for a reason...Its not a Wishy Washy Chat Line Forum...
Almost every posting that starts about model boating is taken off track by the same people...
Please Stop this Posting because I am bored routine and keep the forum Model Boat Related...

OK.... Rant Over...I will now jump back down and get on with some Boat Building...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Timo2

Re: Using the Forum...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »

OK norry

Tell us all how to make  "A Springer"  mold for  F/G hulls

Timo2

:-))

Wasyl

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:23:08 pm »

{:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Wullie

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:46:34 pm »

...Good Evening Guys...

I am just getting up on to my soap box...Bear With Me...

Right Here Goes...
Why are  there  currently more postings on the Forum in the Chit Chat section about Non Model Boat related items than there are in all the other sections added together...

Come On Guys there are even postings about recipes...

This site is called Model Boat Mayhem for a reason...Its not a Wishy Washy Chat Line Forum...
Almost every posting that starts about model boating is taken off track by the same people...
Please Stop this Posting because I am bored routine and keep the forum Model Boat Related...

OK.... Rant Over...I will now jump back down and get on with some Boat Building...

...Best Regards...Norry...

Norry you should repost this question under the existing topic
"unanswerable questions"
 O0 O0 O0 O0

Wasyl

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:04:26 pm »

All work and No Play,makes,Jack a Dull boy,...Now,you,re all thinking,"who,s Jack"...well if i,d said Norry,he,d be back upon his soapbox ranting that i was picking on him,..so I reasoned that if i say Jack,then,there,s no offence to anyone,.....But if there is a Jack on here,...its Not You,...its another Jack,...  {-) %%

Wullie,
thats better,right place...now i,m off before the flak comes..i.ll be back tomorrow,

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 10:11:48 pm »

Aye ya betta be we'll be awaitin wit welcoming arms  >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< :-)) :-))

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:40:23 pm »

As we sometimes say in Scotland - THIS IS MINCE - Norry makes a reasonable point and before you know it there's an assortment of flippant replies.
This sort of stuff, together with a few people who have verbal diarrhorea, is spoiling what used to be a really interesting site

mattycoops43

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 11:48:43 pm »

Sorry guys, but I got to disagree. And I am not being flippant, or rude to anyone.

Firstly, whenever I click on "unread posts" there is normally about 20-30 different topics, of those, on average I would say there as normally 2 or 3 topics that are none boat related in chit chat.

Secondly, this forum is not work, or school, or uni, or anywhere else where we have to do things we don't want to. it is used by us for a whole heap of reasons, including learning about boats, showing off our work, AND fun, friendship, meeting new people, sharing jokes etc.

We are here because we have a mutual interest, we are not on a course, and whwnever you get a bunch of guys with a mutual interest together, friendships develop and the topic of conversation is far and wide. The point should be, while we may be talking about something none boat related, we are "boat modellers" talking about something none boat related.

Personally, I don't understand this obsession with telling people what we should be talking about. We have forum rules to protect people from abuse, and innapropriate content. That should be enough! We are here for fun. If you went to a party, would you be happy if the host told you what you should be discussing? If you were invited because you were a fishmonger, and it was a meeting of fishmongers, should you only be allowed to talk about fish? What rot!

Please don't take that as a personal attack. it isn't! But I am excercising my freewill to disagree strongly with what you have said!

Best wishes

Matt

class37

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 12:00:59 am »

Firstly, whenever I click on "unread posts" there is normally about 20-30 different topics, of those, on average I would say there as normally 2 or 3 topics that are none boat related in chit chat.

Matt

Is there a quick way of clearing unread posts that do not interest you, or do you have to go through opening / closing each one ?

cheers

alan

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 12:04:17 am »

Just click mark as read at the top off the page after you have read what you want.

Peter

class37

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 12:04:55 am »

many thanks for that,

alan

sentry

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 12:21:34 am »

Hi shipmates,
 I agree with Norry I come on this site ( which I think is the best there is) to hopfuly learn how to be more knowledgable in my model making make a better boat and not how to make cup cakes and see who is slagging off who, I was always told if you cant say anythink nice then dont say nowt.
                             Regards Sentry.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 12:39:33 am »

so the thing you have been complaining about Non model boat subjects is now up to about a dozen posts so you are doing what you are complaing about. just don't read what you don't want to.

Simple

Peter

Wasyl

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 02:25:45 am »

Just to add my tuppence worth,which is on the same lines as Mattycoops,
there are over 40 boat related sections on this forum,is that not enough,for all you "moaners"..there are sections on here that I,ve never visited,simply because i don,t know anything about them,I,m into boats,but not yachts,I,m into ships ,but not commercial,the same goes for steam etc ...why would i have the need to go there,as i said earlier "all work no play"reminds me of when i worked offshore,2 weeks of hard graft,then 1 week off,which was usually spent in the pub,..but i can tell you this,..work was never mentioned,we had enough of it for 2 weeks without having it for 3,
Thats where,in my opinion Chit-Chat comes in,a place where we can lighten up,have a laugh,a good bullsh**,make friends,pass on tips on "how to boil an egg" if that takes your fancy,
As for those of you, who feel the need to be talking boats 24/7 X 365, get a life,either that or just,zip up your Anorak,and  don,t read chit-chat,its a simple equation,

Wullie

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 06:56:16 am »

Sorry guys, but I got to disagree. And I am not being flippant, or rude to anyone.

Secondly, this forum is not work, or school, or uni, or anywhere else where we have to do things we don't want to. it is used by us for a whole heap of reasons, including learning about boats, showing off our work, AND fun, friendship, meeting new people, sharing jokes etc.

We are here because we have a mutual interest, we are not on a course, and whwnever you get a bunch of guys with a mutual interest together, friendships develop and the topic of conversation is far and wide. The point should be, while we may be talking about something none boat related, we are "boat modellers" talking about something none boat related.

Personally, I don't understand this obsession with telling people what we should be talking about. We have forum rules to protect people from abuse, and innapropriate content. That should be enough! We are here for fun. If you went to a party, would you be happy if the host told you what you should be discussing? If you were invited because you were a fishmonger, and it was a meeting of fishmongers, should you only be allowed to talk about fish? What rot!

Please don't take that as a personal attack. it isn't! But I am excercising my freewill to disagree strongly with what you have said!

Best wishes

Matt

:-)) :-)) :-)) O0 O0 O0

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 06:57:11 am »

Just to add my tuppence worth,which is on the same lines as Mattycoops,
there are over 40 boat related sections on this forum,is that not enough,for all you "moaners"..there are sections on here that I,ve never visited,simply because i don,t know anything about them,I,m into boats,but not yachts,I,m into ships ,but not commercial,the same goes for steam etc ...why would i have the need to go there,as i said earlier "all work no play"reminds me of when i worked offshore,2 weeks of hard graft,then 1 week off,which was usually spent in the pub,..but i can tell you this,..work was never mentioned,we had enough of it for 2 weeks without having it for 3,
Thats where,in my opinion Chit-Chat comes in,a place where we can lighten up,have a laugh,a good bullsh**,make friends,pass on tips on "how to boil an egg" if that takes your fancy,
As for those of you, who feel the need to be talking boats 24/7 X 365, get a life,either that or just,zip up your Anorak,and  don,t read chit-chat,its a simple equation,

Wullie

:-)) :-)) :-)) O0 O0 O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 08:42:15 am »

Something I would like to add to this discussion.

The practice of hijacking other peoples threads for personal chatter between people, other than the original poster (OP).

We do get complaints from OPs that a topic has been hijacked.
This seems to be most annoying if it is a sales thread, where discussions about the sale are drowned out by other 'noise'.

Please avoid hijacking other peoples threads.
After all, you are free to start your own.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 08:56:26 am »

If thine eye offends thee don't click the posting.  O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 09:03:40 am »

Just to try to inject a little bit of balance into this and see things a bit more globally than as everyone seems to be doing and that is from their own personal preferences.

First of all maintaining a degree of respect for each other opinion is key to most of the things we do here so referring to anyone else with a differing opinion as a "Moaner" is unacceptable.

I have always seen the Chit Chat section as an area where members can chill out a bit, wander off the issue of model boats and discus the things that are maybe important to them or which they want to share with other members and, quite rightly, where friendships are developed.  Off topic discussions can generally be interesting to everyone and provide a bit of a light relief from other areas of the forum.

To me the Chit Chat section is to support the rest of the forum though and not take over in its own right because that is when it starts to get out of balance.  We have one or two members who seem to spend a very high percentage of their time in the chit chat section (I checked some statistics this morning and they are quite a surprise), which tends to make you wonder why they choose to use a model boat forum for their chatting but, that aside, there have been criticisms in the past along the lines of whether these members actually contribute anything to the forum or not.

It has been noted that you do not have to read the chit chat section, which is obviously a very fair point, however I see very regularly chit chat spreading off the chit chat forum and onto just about every other type of thread going.  One that particularly irritates me is when I see unnecessary, irrelevant and interfering in the sales threads and many a time I have thought that if that was my sales post being interfered with in that way I would be very unhappy.

So let’s get back to balance, firstly there are those amongst us who perhaps for whatever personal reasons find it difficult if not impossible to get out and meet people and the chit chat section is a life line for them.  Let’s respect that and appreciate the fact that they want to chat amongst friends on here and welcome their company.

Then there are those who want to talk model boats in all its various forms, that’s primarily what we are here for and there is nothing more rewarding than seeing members helping each others with boat related problems so let’s make sure that that continues and we all benefit from the forum.

What to me has to stop is allowing the chit chat to spread into the more serious boat related topics, especially the sales posts and getting in the way of serious conversations with inane drivel and general interference.  I would suggest that those who enjoy the chit chat section continue to do so but keep your chatter to the chit chat section and those who want to talk boats leave them alone to discuss the finer points of a curried sausage.

It’s all about respect and balance.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

nick_75au

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 09:12:46 am »

Seems to me what's discussed topic wise is the same at the pond, don't spend 100% of the time at the lake talking boats either :-))
Overly political posts bug me, I ignore them.

Nick

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 09:42:31 am »

I agree with Tiger Tiger and Bunkerbarge.

If you want to filter out the stuff that doesn't interest you then click on 'Unread Posts since your last visit'. Then read the stuff you want and click on 'Mark as Unread' to clear the rest. At any time after that you can click on 'Unread Posts' again and see what has been posted since you last cleared it. Works for me and saves a lot of time as I certainly don't follow all the topics myself. Then it doesn't matter just how much there is on Chit Chat as opposed to model boating subjects and everyone can be happy.

As others have said, what really does annoy me is when people pop up on serious topics with what are  basically 'Yoo Hoo - I'm here!' type of posts. This juvenile drivel really does put people off when they are having a serious discussion and I suggest that in this case you hit the Report to Moderator button and ask for it to be deleted.

Colin

mattycoops43

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 09:52:42 am »

I agree that sales topics should be left alone unless interested in buying, or you have some relevent info, like the type of kit if unknown etc.

I also agree that someones build topic, or a question about a certain subject, should not be hijacked as it is a little off putting.

However, can I point out that comments along the line of "firstly there are those amongst us who perhaps for whatever personal reasons find it difficult if not impossible to get out and meet people and the chit chat section is a life line for them. " are Insulting, innacurate, and make it quite clear that some people will never accept that some of us have interests outside of boating (like friends).

Can I point out that it might be the people who can't stand chit chat that are lacking in "1/1 scale" friendships? Personally, chit chat is an extension of how I relate to people in the real world, I don't think I should be penalised for being a friendly chap?

I am enjoying this forum, I like learning about boats, getting inspired to build boats, talking to new people, reading peoples jokes, making friends.

if that is unnaceptable behaviour, and I must only ever talk boats, please let me know. I will apologise for offending your sensibilities, and go and find a "friend" forum.

I totally do not understand how anyone can object to a seperate "chit chat" section?????????? Seems to me that a lot of people just want to start some sort of controversy.

Matt

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 10:04:00 am »

It's like a lot of things isn't it, simply exchanging points of view, which I think is what the advocates of the chit chat section want.  I suspect that the suggestion to do away with it is in response to the increased levels of interference with other topics and I have to agree that a greater degree of control should be exercised.

My point about some people not getting out is simply one example of how the chit chat section has value to some members, and I know for a fact that we have members in such a situation, so to refer to it as insulting is a bit of a surprise and innacurate is simply wrong.  It obviously has value to other groups as well such those of a more friendly and extrovert nature and for what ever other reason any one might want to post there.

I don't think it in any way detracts from the basic premise that we need to have respect for each others requirements and that the one thing most of us would agree with is that the chit chat should be more contained in the chit chat section.  There are no rules, just a request for a degree of common sense, which is usually where things start to go pear shaped!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Martin13

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 10:19:26 am »

Something I would like to add to this discussion.

The practice of hijacking other peoples threads for personal chatter between people, other than the original poster (OP).

We do get complaints from OPs that a topic has been hijacked.
This seems to be most annoying if it is a sales thread, where discussions about the sale are drowned out by other 'noise'.

Please avoid hijacking other peoples threads.
After all, you are free to start your own.

Hear hear and well said TT.

That's exactly the problem here as too many times I have seen OP posts hijacked with senseless dribble.
There's nothing wrong with discussing non boat related topics - just keep it in the Chit Chat arena......please O0

Martin du

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 10:20:45 am »

However, can I point out that comments along the line of "firstly there are those amongst us who perhaps for whatever personal reasons find it difficult if not impossible to get out and meet people and the chit chat section is a life line for them. " are Insulting, innacurate...

Hi Matt,
I don't think this was meant in a derogatory sense.
We do have members who are housebound, others who live in remote areas, and at least one member who is registered blind.
I think that these are the members being referred to.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.