Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you famous?  (Read 6165 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Are you famous?
« on: October 06, 2010, 02:26:18 pm »

Just looking at Larry's magazine sales post  
( http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=25885.msg253841#msg253841 ),

I got to wondering, how many of us has had their face, boat or an article printed in a model boat type magazine,
 actually published in anything?

I got my fizog in Model Boat magazine regarding Wicksteed, how about you?

(....... actually, I'll qualify that, in a non adult publication.... and if you have been, I REALLY don't want to know!!! )  :o )

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Are you famous?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:47:21 pm »

I've had photos used by the BBC , ITV , SKY and the press for the last 12 years now must be running into 70 or 80 times now. I've been on TV ( BBC and ITV ) 4 times when I worked at the Marine Lab in Aberdeen but after an average of 2 hours filming a time the total airtime would add up to 30 seconds over the 4 segments lol.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

knoby

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:59:00 pm »

managed to get my fizog in a lot of 1975 pics of the NAVIGA finals, & had a build article published in 1976, October i think, it wasn't very well written but John Cundell re wote it so it was readable. I was only 11 at the time though. Since then i managed to keep a low profile.  :-X

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 03:22:04 pm »

I had a walk on part in Panorama in 1991 - my 3 secs of fame!
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:42:59 pm »

I have had pictures of myself and my boats in Marine Modelling and Model Boats, mainkly to do with the Alfold Charity show that I run, but also at Southend meets and Leighton Buzzards 24 hour charity marathons. Also been on TV on the programme 'A Model World'. Years ago was in the film 'Silver Dream Racer' but only the back of my head. Was interviewed by a southern cable TV company news programme at a Brighton Marina Show organised by HUNTER, that's Graham Sheppard from Hunter Systems.
Alan

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 05:03:34 pm »

My "HMS Victory at Portsmouth" was featured in Model Boats Magazine and they actually paid me for the article. It was also featured in a local newspaper and BBC radio programme.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 05:32:56 pm »

Had my name in Model Boats with some pictures of some of my boats which were displayed at a show and my wife, then fiancee, put our engagement announcement in The Daily Telegraph. Wrote a short piece for MMI on Dortmund (still waiting for the Cheque  {-)   )
Don't Assume Check

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 06:07:25 pm »

Guilty but only a couple of mugshots thankfully.

The long Build

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 06:17:02 pm »

Not yet !!.

Martin how long have you been into model boats and were you into fast boats when you were a bit Younger and slimmer as I'm sure I saw you mentioned in an older copy ? 8)

Larry

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:09:59 pm »

4 0r 5 in boats and self in Marine modeler and Model boats, Loads of pictures in local and National news papers (Work related) BBC. BBC2 , ITV ,SKY(work related Documentary's + the 98 Titanic expedition ) And 3 articles in National Geographics Mags (also work related)
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 09:16:06 pm »

I'm going to be in the audience of Master Mind, in a few weeks. Just behind the right hand contenders.

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:05:56 pm »

In the programme about the Titanic Anchor on Monday Night 4mins 35 seconds in there is a Model of a Bristol Channel Pilot cutter in the Pub window which belongs to a very good friend of mine. He has also had his self-righting Severn class Lifeboat on Chris Barrie's Massive machines.

by the way the Pub featured is my local  The Old Swan better known to beer lovers as Ma Pardoe's

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 04:12:37 pm »

Well ther's a funny thing Martin.
If you look back over this year's Model boat mag you will find I or my boat have been in it MANY times. I this mouths there is a pic of my blow up Zen engine taken at a race in Branston. This was also the day England went out of the world footy thing.
I have to pay (in kind) my PR man Scoop loads every race meeting of the BMPRS. He keeps telling me to pay for his meal at Weymouth MB event, so far i haven't paid once.
Still there you go.
By the Way take a look on Chanel 5 Monday night you will see Rory & Paddy having ago at offshore power boat racing. It was filmed in 2009 and i was asked to run my boat around as some filling shots. However it was raining hard and they was late so i went to the pub which was far more fun.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

wbeedie

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 11:03:28 pm »

Been in Time magazine, Soldier magazine,Panorama, and my name has been mentioned in a heap of national papers all due to a slight work problem Davie T knows the reason  , but to those that dont it was due to a boat I was on sinking so had my 15 mins of fame                 

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 11:03:56 pm »

Ok, not directly on the film, but SY Gondola has been on (this year alone);

BBC Countryfile- Adam came on for a trip and helmed and went down in the engineroom.
BBC Country Tracks- Spent four hours on the boat one beautiful evening and will be showing a mini-docu series on the boat, coniston, swallows and amazons etc, probably two half hour programmes.
CBBC Nina and the neurons- Spent a morning on the boat during the SBA Coniston rally that I organised in June- it is being aired next wednesday.
ITV The Lakes- Rory McGrath came on for a full trip on beautiful day and filmed all the 'welcome back', 'now for a break' pieces and the intro' to the programme that on the last series was filmed in one of Windermere Lake Cruises launches (seems they have realised there are more lakes in Cumbria than Windermere!) I also took the opportunity to suggest to Rory that he brung Griff and Dara up to do a 'Three Men In a Boat' on interesting Lake's boats.
SkyHD- had a very shiny helicopter doing sweeps over the lake today- including a fantastic full lake sweep at 30ft altitude on the opposite side of the lake from us.
BBC Escape to the Country- filming for two hours next Tuesday after they did some earlier in the year filming us from Brantwood House.

All in all a very productive year publicity wise- and I managed to keep my fizog out of most of it- though I did get a small filming role in the engineroom- though I think this probably had more to do with the camera man's parents owning traction engines!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 11:29:32 pm »

I had a photo of one of my boats, and a short article on its construction published in Model Boats about 4 years ago. No photo of me, thankfully.

I was also interviewed on TV last year regarding our club's display at a local festival.....for about 20 seconds :embarrassed:

Martin, your shirt lit up the page {-)

Peter.

787Eng

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 06:23:00 pm »

I currently have my Marie Felling featured on the inside centre of this years colour Visitor information Leaflet for the International Model Boat Show - Warwickshire Exhibition Centre. :-))

Mark

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 06:28:22 pm »

Stick the letters i and n in front of "famous" and see what sort of response tou get. Especially from those with "hidden" names. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

madrob

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 08:14:11 pm »

Had a boat of mine in a local news program many years ago, been on bbc playing football for england schoolboys also many years ago.
front of  a vw mag when my beetle wiped the floor with everyone at a run wot you brung meet at york

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 12:50:26 am »

Stick the letters i and n in front of "famous" and see what sort of response tou get. Especially from those with "hidden" names. BY.
{-) {-)
No one would admit to that, Bryan.

Peter.

JVC

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 01:57:56 am »

No.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 02:39:48 am »

I was mentioned in Model Boats Magzine a few months ago - said I'd won a prize, it was to be a book  -------------------  still waiting.  {:-{ {:-{

Tony.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 05:26:45 am »

Did a Google search. {:-{ <:( {:-{ <:(

Struth I am famous but for all the wrong reasons  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( none to do with boats  <:( <:(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 08:10:06 am »

Struth I am famous but for all the wrong reasons  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( none to do with boats  <:( <:(

I wouldn't admit to that, either  :embarrassed: {-)

Peter.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 09:01:59 am »

My lips are sealed  O0 O0 O0
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.