Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 32" Twister Fast Electric  (Read 3314 times)

Roadrunner

32" Twister Fast Electric
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:09:19 am »

I have just purchased a 32" fast electric hull from astec models, (its a mono deep v hull 32" long)  I want this fast electric to go both left and right but before i purchase running gear and trim tabs/ stabilisers etc i need to select the right prop and rudder assembly. my question is this will this unit (pictured) do the job of allowing my boat to go left and right? its a large commitment of £50 and making a mistake in purchasing the wrong part will be quite upsetting.

or do i need one like this?

thanks in advance

RR

Drkomen86

Re: 32" Twister Fast Electric
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:50:03 am »

the black one will turn both ways, the silver bar is just a brace to stop vibration on the rudder.
The silver one looks to have more adjustment up and down for the prop so it is entirely up to you.
I have use the silver one with no problems at all.

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 12:12:03 pm »

thanks for that the black one comes with more parts in the set including a shaft and prop there's only a few quid difference between prices, the back one seams more value for cash. :-))

Drkomen86

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 01:00:18 pm »

Try looking at this site http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/surfacedrive.htm

they sell very similar items for a lot less than £50 and postage is usualy around £4

The one I'm looking at is HF55 or HF55A both at £39.95

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 04:58:03 pm »

This ones not bad for the money,you do lose a bit of speed with the rudder behind the prop but looks good for £30
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aluminum-rudder-and-strut-electric-boat-catamaran-/280532040403?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4151033ad3

F1 madness

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 08:07:54 pm »

Iuse the black 1 on my 37" mono,but you will need to do a small mod to run the rudder on the right,looking at transom,as its meant to be on the left when you buy other wise youll have trouble with it always wanting to turn left even when wanting to go straight but defo worth the the doh,also comes with 3 1/6 flexi and stub shaft other 1 (silver 1) uses 4mm flexi and stub shaft

Heres a pic of 1 on my scratch built mono:

Hope this helps

Roadrunner

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 08:44:16 pm »

After further investigation and the information you guys have provided im now looking to go with the aluminium one (silver pic), simply due to the off set of the blacks ones rudder, which i don't like the look of, nor the fact i want to make adjustments to a new unit with little experience, im not attempting to go bombing around the lake but i want to to go pretty fast in any direction,get up on a plane and make a nice wake.
I think the silver version will work better given the deep v hull as looking at yours F1 the rear of the hull at transom is a lot deeper then you have pictured so i think the shaft strut adjustment will be better then a fixed position with no adjustment, combine that with the stabilising fins and trim tabs i think it will do the job i need it for.

I was originally thinking of just fitting a straight shaft from the keel at rear and a rudder, doing it old school with a new hull, which i expect would work, decided that it would be better to keep upto date with modern racing setups, giving me more experience to look at entering some type of race events later down the line.

Im planning to fit a MFA 850 torpedo with its recommended ESC i think its 40A that needed there, but maybe just use a simple 600 size with a 25A esc, either setup will be running of nhmi simply due to cost im not happy with lipos or there cost i can't justify its expense for just running about the lake for fun.
This is my first Fast electric so i don't want to over spend on things that are not needed at an amateur level.

Any more advice or other items that are needed please suggest im more then happy to look and take advice in this area. i may have bitten of a bit more then i can chew at present, but its all relatively straight forward i hope!

F1 madness

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 08:52:23 pm »

Youll need a much bigger esc than the 1s you ve stated as soon as you load a motor with a prop on it pulls more amps than you think.
The problem with the silver 1 is you dont need the height adjustment,you only need to adjust the angle,if your CG is right you want need to touch that either just set it 0*.
Also try it with out trim tabs if set up right you dont need them and they will just add drag and slow the boat down

Roadrunner

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 08:59:55 pm »

i though the trim tabs were there to help pull the boats hull out of the water at transom reducing its drag as less of the hulls in contact with the water, leaving only a small amount of hull, the stabilisers prop and rudder submerged? or have i been mis-informed about there use?

or is it more to keep the boat flat and level during straight line speed?

F1 madness

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 09:06:10 pm »

They can add to lift the transom but set up right with the right prop you dont need them.
What props are you thinking of using and do you plan on running the stuffing tube through the bottom of the hull or through the transom

Roadrunner

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 09:13:09 pm »

im hoping to use a flat brass tube and not call the need of a flexi drive, but i can't be sure untill i buy the strut and rudder unit of what will be needed to feed the prop, i expect it will end as a flexi shaft if it need to go under the hull and in, but if i can get away with fixing through the transom a slight angle will give me enough motor clearance to have a fixed straight shaft. its all speculation untill i get the unit.

If i go with the silver unit using the 4m shaft i will be using one of these, or something plastic

its a Graupner Eco race prop in brass. A High quality bronze prop, Two blade M4 screw fit subsurface drive propeller.

unless you have a better suggestion?

F1 madness

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 09:24:46 pm »

Iv just been looking at the hull on astec,me personally would run a stinger drive with flexi going the transom with surface drive prop,stab fins and offset rudder to the right as you look at the transom this way the hull will be fast and handle better than a train on rails also dont forget to offset the driveline to the 3-4mm to counteract prop torque.

Roadrunner

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 09:31:49 pm »

can you link me what stinger drive and rudder to use as a setup, i can see a load but not sure would be best suited to the hull.

F1 madness

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 09:33:52 pm »

yeah sure,the only thing with the rudder is you need to know the depth of the transom to make sure you get a long enough rudder.
Give me a mo

Roadrunner

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 09:42:03 pm »

thanks for your help, once the hull arrives i can make a better decision i guess or ask further questions, once i get some accurate measurement of the hull only info i have to go on at present is its length at 32" and a 9" beam.  :-))

F1 madness

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 09:44:40 pm »

Thats all i could find,but you need the rudder long enough to keep it clean water otherwise it wont work and you ll have to get another so best to do it right 1st time :-))

Roadrunner

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 09:46:19 pm »

good advice with common scene just what i need this time of night! %% :-))

F1 madness

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 09:48:49 pm »

No problem :}
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.