Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Born again modeller  (Read 1557 times)

potluk

Born again modeller
« on: October 07, 2010, 12:47:28 am »

%% Newbie Here lol
Hi Guys I am a born again modeller who has not touched a model since 1990!!!! I know there is no excuse.
I have had a precedent Perkasa kit 37 inch since 1990 which I stopped work on "temporarily" as I started up in business (20 years on......) I did the hard work back then i.e built the wooden hull and the biggest part of the superstructure.
Here's my current situation... I am way out of date with R/C and propulsion!! My plans are for a single screw petrol powered boat, I now realise electric power has moved way on from when I was building.
I have read through quite a few posts on this forum and I am really impressed with what you guys say and the help you give so freely!
It seems that I was lucky as the when I bought the kit "back in the day" the tooling was new and to be fair it goes together really well and I am pleased with what I did back then, I have read posting here that suggest that since 1990 the quality of precedent Perkasa's seems to have gone down hill! (thats a shame).
I would really appreciate some advice from you guys which will probably seem basic stuff to you but as I am still in the 1990's is all new to me lol.
Firstly I am sure there is a newer and better adhesive than the PVA I used back then?
Secondly I have no idea what make or size of electric drive I would need to use and also speed control, you wouldn't believe the speed controllers I remember!!!!
Well thats my introduction done so you can see how far behind I am!!!!!!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Born again modeller
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 02:16:00 am »

Welcome back :-)) to the dark side. 8)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tony52

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:11:54 am »

My plans are for a single screw petrol powered boat

Before starting work I would check on the availabilty of a lakes owner(s) who will accept any form of i.c. power. It's a 50 mile trip to run i.c. from our home.

Welcome back to the hobby.
Tony.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:25:24 am »

I think he meant the original plans were for a single screw petrol powered boat, but now he wants to go the electric route.

Secondly I have no idea what make or size of electric drive I would need to use and also speed control, you wouldn't believe the speed controllers I remember!!!!
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

tony52

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:48:01 pm »

Sorry,
My fault.

Moderator - Please delete my earlier post.

Tony

potluk

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:26:54 am »

Thanks guys
Yes I am looking to go electric powered and just need some upto date info on single engine electric drive for the 37inch Perkasa....... well for starters anyway lol
anyone got knowledge on this?
Cheers
Paul

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 10:04:47 pm »

Hi Potluk and welcome to the mad house.

Earlier this year built the hull and powered up that model for a friend before returning it for him to finish.

I bought the motor from Marks Model Bits aka No Mustang Mark after taking his advice. On completion of my bit I covered the open deck spaces with poly sheet and took it for a run. What can I say Wooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo.

If you pm Mark he will surely help, as he has the same boat and he gives his advice freely.

Again Welcome.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.