Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Frigga"  (Read 3717 times)

-Martin-

• Shipmate
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
"Frigga"
« on: February 02, 2007, 01:29:50 pm »

Hi All

Here is a few pics of my model project.

The model is of SvitzerWijsmuller tug "Frigga" in 1:25 scale. She has homemade ASD propulsion and is planned to be a fully working model, with working light, winches etc.

The build progress is very slow as I don't have much time left over for building on her, but I enjoy spending a weekend working on her whenever I have the time.

Brgds

Martin

janjac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: "Frigga"
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 04:15:18 pm »

Hi Martin
It looks very good ! , if I ever should build a "modern" tug,  Frigga or her sisterships will be my choice,  From where do you have the plans ?
Regards
Jan

Tug Man

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 04:31:11 pm »

For a man that says he doesn't have much time you are doing very well. I wish I had less time now that I look at your pictures. Maybe then I could get more done.

Don

-Martin-

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:14:20 am »

Hi Martin
It looks very good ! , if I ever should build a "modern" tug,  Frigga or her sisterships will be my choice,  From where do you have the plans ?
Regards
Jan

Thank you very much Jan. I had the priviledge of sailing on her on two occasions, so I was able get the drawings direct from the company, but as it is the problem for so many modellers, the company will not normally had out the drawings to anyone. 

For a man that says he doesn't have much time you are doing very well. I wish I had less time now that I look at your pictures. Maybe then I could get more done.

Don

Thank you very much Don. Well I woulden't recommend that to you, the timespan of these pictures are quite long, so if you wan't your model finished within a foreseeable future, I woulden't recommend my method to you.

Just added a few pics of the real thing.

Brgds

Martin

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 11:49:43 am »

Martin...whats the bridge up ahead?

-Martin-

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 11:48:31 am »

Martin...whats the bridge up ahead?

Chormedome, it is the Great Belt bridge, spanning the two danish islands, Sjælland and Fyn.

Brgds

Martin

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 03:53:37 pm »

thankyou

-Martin-

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 02:20:31 pm »

Hi All

A little update on the progress on the Frigga. The outer hull is beginning to come along, still need a bit of planking though, but its getting there.
Thrusters are also coming along, need a few special screws before the shafts can be installed. I'm looking forward to getting her off the build plate and start installing decks etc.

Brgds

Martin

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 08:40:46 pm »

Hi Martin, this looks fantastic, could you tell me about your ASD's please.

Nige
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

-Martin-

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 09:33:02 pm »

Hi Martin, this looks fantastic, could you tell me about your ASD's please.

Nige

Thank you very much Nige.

Well, I designed them myself because no commercial drives was available in the size that I wanted. Looks-wise they are more or less designed or modelled on the original Frigga's thrusters, the Aquamaster CP US 3001 azimuth thrusters. I made them as scale looking as possible with the limited material I had on the thrusters.
When I designed them I wanted them to operate as the original, thus rotating through 360 degrees (only 360 degrees, thus 180 to each side). I thought about servos, but by talking to another guy who build som 2:3 of the size of mine, I was convinced that a worm gear was the way to go. This would allow the thrusters to rotate freely as I wanted, and also, the gear would lock the position of the thruster during operation, as was one of the problems with a servo.
After designing the thruster i turned the underwater part from three different pieces, the nozzle, the lower gear housing and the verticle shaft. These were then soldered together to form the final lower thruster. Before this I had turned bushings in brass and placed o-rings to seal the shafts.
One thing I can say is that the design has changed a thousand times during the build, and if I were to do them over again I would do alot of things different, but of course thats the way it is with all scratch building.
The top brass gear housing holds the main drive gear with a 3:1 reduction and the worm gear. The main drive shaft enters at the top centre shaft and the round shaft input at the side is for the input shaft for the turning motor.
I have not yet tested them in the water, so that is something that I look forward to and of course I hope my design will work without to many problems, but that only time will show.

I you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Brgds

Martin

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.