Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Trains for the Tunnel  (Read 1895 times)

Nordsee

New Trains for the Tunnel
« on: October 08, 2010, 04:27:34 pm »

Saw on BBC World that Eurostar have ordered new trains from Siemans, for 700 Million Pounds. Now Siemans build the ICEs for the DB, (German Rail) They have a shocking safety record, mainly big problems with either brakes(overheat and fail) or wheels ( they fall off)and axles (they break, often). Also in the hot weather this summer the Air Conditioning failed and as no windows can be opened, many passengers suffered severe Heat Stroke. They also suffer from "Wet Leaves" and "Wrong Snow" illnesses. Could they not have bought British? Or has the Railway Industry disappeared in UK as well?

mattycoops43

Re: New Trains for the Tunnel
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:49:33 pm »

Unfortunately we don't make any. The best loco on our rails now is the class 66. made in Canada!

I'm not sure it matters anymore, the world is so small now. I don't care where they come from, as long as they're good. i wouldn't buy anything from Siemens, they can't make a phone that works, let alone a train!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 05:30:30 pm »

I think wherever things are assembled nowadays the components generally originate from the same source.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

sailorboy61

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:43:30 pm »

Any company that has some german ownership will buy German..... it's all in their tax fiddle/laws......., keeps the money in house.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 08:31:47 am »

I think that Eurostar is UK/French/Belgian owned. No German involvement.

Barry M

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 03:53:04 pm »

Eurostar may well be owned by the UK, France and Belgium.  They will buy their hardware wherever they see fit.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 05:44:52 pm »

Which is what the French cannot understand.

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 06:36:10 pm »

May I stick another spoke in against Seimans?
Up here in Geordieland, apart from shutting down one major manufacturer of turbines and generators, they conned the then UK government to build a huge (really huge) silicone chip factory just north of the "Silverlink" complex. As soon as the grants ran out of time they upped sticks and just left. Over the years, Siemens caused more heartache and unemployment in this area than just about anyone else. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Nordsee

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 07:51:39 pm »

May I stick another spoke in against Seimans?
Up here in Geordieland, apart from shutting down one major manufacturer of turbines and generators, they conned the then UK government to build a huge (really huge) silicone chip factory just north of the "Silverlink" complex. As soon as the grants ran out of time they upped sticks and just left. Over the years, Siemens caused more heartache and unemployment in this area than just about anyone else. BY.
They have also been found guilty and fined 1.2 Billion Euros for Bribery to obtain Contracts in USA and Africa. Wonder if that had anything to do with this Contract? No could n't be, all Eurostar Execs are blameless and innocent.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 08:19:47 pm »

I have worked with seimens on a number of LARGE High Voltage projects
and in conjunction with the seimens commisioning engineers
we can state the seimens stuff is the worst we have ever seen

NO quality control and No interest in the product from the design team
in fact so bad the 132,000volt busbar insulation failed at 23,000volts during testing

I have heard thru a friend who works in the railway the brand new trains that seimens
are building for use in scotland have failed several major tests

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 11:58:09 pm »

They certainly do need some new trains for the tunnel - we went over this year and the terminals is fairly pliush but the train was a real disappointment - quite smart on the outside but really tatty inside, as if nobody had spent any money on them since they were put into service. They should of course be built at the Derby Carriage Works but.... Good luck Siemens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.