Mess Deck: General Section > Beginners start here...!

Hopeful newbie

(1/1)

Sandy:
Hi,

I just recently was invited to the 40th anniversary sale of the Model Steamer Club of Glasgow. Unfortunately, due to a complicated marital set up, I was unable to attend, but I did take a run down to Rouken Glen park a couple of weeks ago to see the boats sailing.

Suitably enthused, I have decided to give it a go ... again.

My father and I (as a junior member) were amongst the first in the club and I see that I am one of only three original members left. After doing a few kits, my father scratch built a 1/4inch to the foot model of the Queen MaryII in its old Williamson-Buchanan twin funnel form and sailed it for many years (20, probably) until his death in 1990. By that time, my interest was old American cars and not boats and the boat sat for many years abandoned at the back of my mothers garage (see photo taken in 1986). Eventually she was approached by the club to ask if someone in the club could take it on board, and, the upshot was, we agreed to give it to this gentleman (who has done a superb job in fettling it and keeping it alive).

For a while, as a youngster, I had a 1/4inch to the foot model of the Jeanie Deans paddle steamer which we bought from another club member, but sold it when we moved to Dundee so it would stay in the club.

Some years ago, when cleaning out my mother loft I came upon a third finished model of the Caldercraft Cumbrae that my father had been building when he died (£109.95 in 1988 for those who are interested) and was both saddened at seeingwhat he had done and slightly awed at his meticulously detailed and precise work. I decided to pass on completeing that one as I didn't feel I would be able to replicate his precision for a first timer and some parts seemed to be missing.

I have some questions regarding GRP and other stuff but I will put them in the relevant sections.

Anyway, hello to all. Looking forward to a happoy winter hobby, and no lying on a concrete garage floor in 0C temperature.

All the best
Sandy

Shipmate60:
Hi Sandy,
Welcome aboard.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version