Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holyhead Severn Christopher Pearce  (Read 1848 times)

Brian Roberts

Holyhead Severn Christopher Pearce
« on: October 10, 2010, 07:45:07 pm »

I had the privilege today of having a two hour ride on the Holyhead Severn, the Christopher Pearce. Although we're having a mini heat wave in the UK there was a strong easterly wind blowing directly into the harbour, and in the words of the Coxwain it was going to be "Lively" and he was so right!

Hanging on for dear life at the stern of a bucking lifeboat  isn't everyones idea of spending a Sunday morning but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

About two miles off shore we passed the Trinity House boat "Galatea"

Brian

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Holyhead Severn Christopher Pearce
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:00:28 am »

You're lucky man to get to ride on the Severn! Seen Galatea up there a few times, she'd make impressive subject to model herself...Dave

pugwash

Re: Holyhead Severn Christopher Pearce
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:41:09 am »

Brian I know just what you mean.  Our local boat company in Amble used to service the East coast lifeboats
and they had one boat down from the Orkneys which would not reach full speed so they tried various things with the
engine and different props and after every alternation they needed a full crew (weightwise) to test it out. As my boat was in the
yard I was always available and got several trips in all sorts of conditions - they are great boats and quite comfortable with the
hydraulic seats.  Galatea oftens anchors for the night in Alnmouth Bay when she is working in this area - she has too much
draught to get into the harbour. really nice looking boat.
Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.