Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC suitable for boats, Tekin 610r???  (Read 4621 times)

bigfella

ESC suitable for boats, Tekin 610r???
« on: February 03, 2007, 02:03:32 am »

Hi all, Hope everyone is well

I Bought a second hand radio unit on ebay and with it came a ESC Tekin 610r. I know that it was originally made for a R/C car but I can not see any reason why it would not work on a boat. It is a Fet controller that has forward 200amp and reverse 100amp. It says in the manual to use 6-8 Ni-Cd cells however I would like to use 6 or 12 volt lead acid battery. Would this be suitable for say a 500 size motor although I would think that it would be a bit of overkill thinking that a 500 size motor would possibly peak at 50 amps or so (i assume) as I am only guessing from what I have read. Would the ESC drain the battery being capable of such high amps???? ??? ???

If some one could give me an idea i would be much obliged as I don't really know what I am doing. :-\ :-\
Thanks Bigfella ;D

PS I also have a Tekin 410s but it does not have reverse.

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ESC suitable for boats, Tekin 610r???
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 07:56:40 am »

An ESC has two ratings that have to be considered, voltage and current capacities.  The current capacity of your ESC is known so just don't get too close to those limits.  If  your ESC says it can handle from 6 to 8 Ni-cd's, and since a single Nicd is 1.2 volts, then it ought to be able to handle between 7 and 9 volts.  I think 12 volts would be 'pushing' it a bit more than you should.  An ESC really doesn't 'care' what kind of battery is hooked to it, Ni-cd, Nimh, 'LiPo's, or lead-acid.  All it really 'cares' about is the voltage applied and the current it has to handle.  Why will your's only handle the voltages it does?  'Cuz' that's probably all that they could stuff inside the car...
 - 'Doc

Scottie

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:13:16 am »

All it really 'cares' about is the voltage applied and the current it has to handle.

AND

Don't forget polarity - make sure you connect the battery the right way round.

Scottie

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:24:06 am »

There is a lot of "HYPE " with  model car speed ctr ,they use 200 amp  and 100amp ,BUT if you read the small print it will say that it can only sustain that for 1.3seconds or sim .some uk speed ctr give the max as usable and not peak .so they seem like they are not as good ,but most are.  the max voltage is because of the BEC will only go to a max of 9v ..teakin are a nice ctr Ive got a few from my car days and will work ok in a boat at will the 500.    Peter

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 10:28:55 pm »

I would only go as hi as 9.6 volts, so the 12 volt battery would be to much, it will make the ESC get to hot and burn it out, try the 6 volt route, or stick to the nimh battery packs...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

bigfella

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 10:29:35 pm »

Thanks Guys

That has but my mind at rest. I had visions of my PT Boats maiden voyage being like a Vieking funeral. So I will go with a 6volt battery and the 500 motor and will be a happy chappy.

Thanks again Bigfella

bigfella

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 06:17:43 am »

Hi

I almost forgot that in the manual it says not to use a motor with less than 11 windings. I am not sure if this is a marketing tool to sell higher priced motors or a safety issue??? ??? ??? But I am on the look out for a 500 or so motor with 11 windings or more. Any Ideas ??? ??? ???

Regards Bigfella

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 08:34:30 am »

Bigfella,
The number of turns in a motor (number of windings) has nothing to do with safety.  Usually, the less number of turns, the faster the motor spins, higher rpms.  While that's not necessarily bad, it does mean that it will draw lots of current, so a battery will not last as long as with a motor with a higher number of turns.  With low turn motors the wire is usually larger so the resistance is lower.  The lower resistance means higher current so it'll run the battery 'dry' faster.
 - 'Doc

bigfella

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 08:49:24 am »

Thanks Doc

I think I get it. But what is the usual Turns that the more readily available Motors have. Graupner, Mabuchi and dare I say Johnson. I cant seem to find that sort of info on the net, as I usually buy on-line as Australian sales assistants seem to be lacking in information when you ask at hobby stores, whether it is blissfull ignorance or lack of product knowledge.

Regards Bigfella

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 12:58:53 pm »

A standard johnson or mabucchi motor are usually about 29 turn so with the 500 I would hazard a guess at about 20 turn so you esc should handle it ok...
Motors do vary alot depending on application...

Roy

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 01:58:53 pm »

The only other thing to think about is the prop size start small and work up ,keeping an eye on the heat of the motor..

Peter

bigfella

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 10:14:46 pm »

Thanks heaps guys

I really am in the dark about these things, After being a Musician for the past35 years until recently when Arthritis got my hands hence the change to making model boats as a sort of way to keep my hands moving while enjoying myself, beats a visit to the physio. Any way thanks again that has helped so much.

Regards bigfella

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 12:48:03 am »

I am in the same boat , the problem starts if you stop for a few weeks ,It takes a lot of time to get them going again ( and a lot of hot wax in my case)..have you tried the boat yet ?? Peter

bigfella

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 04:51:39 am »

Hi Peter

No the boat is almost ready. I have a couple of setbacks First being I am still waiting on some fittings from Loyalhanna which I ordered in November and still no sign, secondly I am not quite sure if the motor in it is up to it as I have no info on the type of motor it is so I am looking at a MFA Re540 from Pandan. In regards to ARTHER it is a "xxxxx" and to top it all off I also suffer from Gout.

My estimated launch date would be early March and I will post pictures.

Regards David

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 08:20:02 am »

I have heard that people find it takes an age for parts to be posted to AUS ,but my son is there and we send stuf to him on a regular basis (Grifith now Perth) and it takes between 8 to 14 days .the post back is slower be we think its him not posting.

give the motor a try just check after a few min that its not getting hot, I do it even with known setups.

Peter

bigfella

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 09:41:29 pm »

Hi Peter

I'm on the Gold Coast and it isn't slow post it is the slow (US) company that takes its time to fill the order. I usually find that when I order something from the UK it takes about 10 days to get here, which is not bad. I will bench test the motor next week.

Regards David

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 11:07:54 am »

Bench testing is not really all that useful as the unit will need to loaded as it would be in the water, so test it in a tank or the bath for a better result....

Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.