Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vietnam monitor  (Read 1898 times)

Sandy

Vietnam monitor
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »

Hi,

A newbie here. I am thnking of building a modle of a Vietnam riverine monitor. I see that Deamsmarine do one now, but I have the plans from Floatingdrydock and was keen to give it a go.

I spoke to some very helpful guys at the Richmond Club here in Glasgow today, but would appreciate any further advice as, despite making enquiries on the GRP section of this forum, I may try building the monitor from either ply or styrene.

The hull shape, based on landing craft, is quite simple. If it was made from strene, what sort of thickness would be best and how would I stiffen it inside (by constructing bulkheads, and if so, what thickness of styrene would be best).

Or, alternatively, if I used ply, what thickness ply would be best and what thickness of ply should be used for the bulkheads.

I plan on using styrene for all the upperworks/turret etc, but keen to get any advice/knowledge before putting my hand in pocket for materials. Hoping to visit the Blackpool show this weekend and get some advice there also.

Thanks in advance.

Sandy

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vietnam monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 04:58:08 pm »

The answer to your question depends upon scale and size of the model.

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 07:44:17 pm »

Yes, my mistake.

It is 1:24 scale so it is about 30 inches long and 7 inches beam.

Any advice?

Thanks.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 06:51:23 pm »

no advice on construction, but for info do a search on brown water navy. loads of links and info. think there is even a restoration if you can find it. it does take some patience but weel worth it in the end. no end of help in doing my Pibber. same feild of action.
have fun
colin
grumpy old XXX
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.