Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lipo  (Read 4087 times)

Ben Tickle

Lipo
« on: September 13, 2010, 03:03:14 pm »

Hi,

I am going to buy Lipo's at some stage in the near future and was just wondering what everyone thinks to the I-max B6 charger?

Thanks

Ben
 {-)

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: Lipo
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:42:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's the same device as my Venom charger - although a quarter of what I paid for mine!

If it is the same then it'll do most things you will want it for. The only thing I can't vouch for is the lead acid charging, always using an old MFA charger that I've had for years
I know of a few chaps that race elecrtric cars and they all seem to have B6 chargers.

Ben Tickle

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 02:37:42 pm »

Hi,

I have now purchased and recieved my lipo battery and charger. I was just wondering what rate do i charge the battery at? It is 11.1v and 30c. The Mah rating is 4200.

Thanks

Ben :}

billy01

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:38:34 pm »

General rule of thumb with lipos is to charge at a maximum current equivalent to the capacity, so for 4200mAh battery you charge it at up to 4200mA (4.2 Amps) referred to as "1C"
There are some high performance lipos which can be charged at higher rates than this, but unless it says so, then assume that it can't be charged any faster than 1C.
Of course there is nothing to say it can't be charged at a lower rate than that.
Charging at 1C will give a charge time of approx 1.1 hours.
Hope this helps.

tomo55

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:14:24 pm »

If you are looking for a decent charger the Sigma Q 2 is worth a look easy to use and set up.and not too expensive.
I agree with sticking to 1C charging (or less) some of the lipos coming out now(aero and helis) can charge at 5C you would need a powerful charger to cope with that.
Ive used Lipos for aero in the past and have never had a problem (touch wood)building a Nangee tug at the moment not really suitable for for Lipo prefer a weighty 12v SLA battery.I would'nt hesitate to use a lipo in a deans style launch. I think the fast electric lads use Lipos a lot.

I always charge Lipos out of the hull/airframe and place them on a fireproof surface just in case.
Chris

Tombsy

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 09:35:04 pm »

Remember on your B6 with it's built in balancer that you have to set it for LIPO-Balance not just LIPO-Charge for the balancer to work.
I just realized that I had mine set wrong, I was used to a separate balancer.
The balance leads are short if you don't have extensions but you can still use a Lipo bag for charging.
Set it for 3s for 11.1 volts and I wouldn't charge over 1c or 4.2 amps like previously mentioned.

Ben Tickle

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 09:10:27 am »

Hi,

My lipo is still partly charged (90%). Do you put it back onto a balance charge and charge it at the same ampage?

Thanks

Ben

Tombsy

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 10:30:43 pm »

You can top it up to 100% it won't hurt anything, it will tell you how many mah you actually used.

John Mk2

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 08:49:47 pm »

Ive owned A iMax b6 for about 2yrs now with no worrys at all  :-)) Great little charger for the money ;)

Dekan

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 05:48:18 pm »

If you are looking for a decent charger the Sigma Q 2 is worth a look easy to use and set up.and not too expensive.
I agree with sticking to 1C charging (or less) some of the lipos coming out now(aero and helis) can charge at 5C you would need a powerful charger to cope with that.
Ive used Lipos for aero in the past and have never had a problem (touch wood)building a Nangee tug at the moment not really suitable for for Lipo prefer a weighty 12v SLA battery.I would'nt hesitate to use a lipo in a deans style launch. I think the fast electric lads use Lipos a lot.

I always charge Lipos out of the hull/airframe and place them on a fireproof surface just in case.
Chris
http://www.onemetre.net/OtherTopics/LipoFire/LipoFire.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.