Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using a steam turbine engine...  (Read 6134 times)

rathikrishna

using a steam turbine engine...
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:09:50 am »

Good after noon all...can we use a axial steam engine, means a turbine instead of a piston assy,in our craft..?  will it work..?..any advice..please..i am willing to make a tow boat with such an engine...

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: using a steam turbine engine...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:14:02 am »

It will work and it has been done but because of the near impossibility of making an efficient turbine at our scales, it will require a large boiler to meet the steam demand of a small unit.

Regards,

Barry M

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:14:21 pm »

You would also need a large reduction gearbox if you are going to use it in a tug.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

pettyofficernick

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:02:31 pm »

As well as a reduction gearbox, you will also need an efficient lubrication system for the bearings as steam turbines run at extremely high speeds 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

rathikrishna

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 01:07:53 pm »

Oh god...better use a motor...thank you all....

tony52

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 02:26:42 pm »

As a postscript to this thread, myhobbystore offer a simple turbine in one of their publications.
The turbine is not really suitable for marine use, more of an easy build model engineers project. The problem for marine use is the weight of the boiler for a vessel powered by a small size turbine.
Nevertheless for anyone wishing to build a turbine this item is excellent and the price of the publication is not going to 'break the bank'.

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17875/building-simple-model-steam-engines-book-ii

Tony.

rathikrishna

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 02:28:57 pm »

Ohh..its great..thanks for the link Tony...have a nice day..

bbjs

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 02:28:42 pm »

Anything seems possible...
Here's a production unti for r/c:

http://jc-steam.com/estore/product_info.php?products_id=405

Seems quite small, working pressure 20-80 psi, 50-2800 rpm.

Cheers, Bjorn

rathikrishna

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 03:17:38 pm »

Ahh..its great..any how i will make one..now i am in my work home to build a paddle steamer...

steamboatmodel

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 12:35:52 am »

Anything seems possible...
Here's a production unti for r/c:

http://jc-steam.com/estore/product_info.php?products_id=405

Seems quite small, working pressure 20-80 psi, 50-2800 rpm.

Cheers, Bjorn

They give a working pressure, but don't say what the steam consumption is, that is usually the killer with turbines
Regards,
Gerald.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 11:25:53 am »

A 15mm exhaust connection, when coupled to an 80psi inlet pressure, would be a HUGE steam consumption. However you would probably be able to couple this to a flash steam boiler that would not be too heavy for the amount of steam it would be able to make. I would PM Flashtwo as this is his area of expertise and would be able to advise the size of the boiler you would need.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

rathikrishna

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 11:58:25 am »

thanks for the opinions..once again..i am already contacted a lathe work, to make a reciprocating one with brass..i hope it will work..

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 01:09:16 pm »

15mm exhaust connection is only to ensure the engine doesn't "Choke" 20 to 80 PSI on a 1.2 mm bore nozzle, although needing a plentifull supply of steam isn't overthirsty.

Regards  Ian.

Yes, we'll now wait for the reams of maths.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ooyah/2

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 11:39:01 pm »

rathikrisna.
I have a copy of an article posted in Marine Model International in May 2002. it's about a small turbine that powers a model of the TURBINIA. without the use of expensive machinery.
There are 5 pages and pictures so if you would like it P.M. me with your e-mail and I will scan it and send it to you.
George.

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 09:13:39 am »

Hi,

Last September at the Blackheath club (Steamboatphil, Alan Rayman et al), I saw a static demonstration of a steam turbine powered boat supplied by a flash steam boiler.

It was fine piece of engineering with the turbine shaft not only powering the prop shaft, but also the feed water, lub oil and fuel pumps via a large reduction gearbox (49:1?).

The turbine sounded like a gas turbine running up and threw a great plume of water a good twenty feet (7 metres) out of the pond and onto the shore.

The boat is designed as the tethered variety (see On-the-wire website) and the turbine is required to run for as along as it takes to do the five timed laps for that type of boat.

One leason learnt by the builder, so far, is to allow for lots of thermal expansion in the engine due to the very high steam conditions from the flash boiler- too tight a tolerance results in the turbine seizing up.

There are no automatic control systems, so, currently, it is a challange to run the power plant for much more than twenty seconds (though I stand to be corrected on that).

My own current approach is to experiment with a flash boiler /jet engine (see the Steam Jet Engine thread) which has great potential and has extended runs of twenty minutes. Apart from the electric water pump, there are no moving parts and the flash boiler/engine has reached 300psi (20Bar) at 720degC steam conditions.

I am currently rebuilding parts the water pump out of more robust materials and replacing the brass (which tends to melt!) in the boiler/engine with steel.

Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.