Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring Brass Handrails  (Read 1727 times)

tony52

Restoring Brass Handrails
« on: October 14, 2010, 10:58:18 am »

Hi
I am currently restoring a Graupner Glasgow. The brass handrails have become tarnished and I would like to bring them back to a reasonable finish. Obviously I can not rub them with traditional brass cleaner i.e. Brasso as they are obviously too fragile to withstand the rubbing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Steam powered model has been out of service for approx 15 years and I am intent on having her back on the water for the spring of 2011.

Photograph shows a sample from the paddle box, however there are a lot more on the vessel.

Thanks,
Tony.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Restoring Brass Handrails
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 04:27:35 pm »

Without removing them from the top of the paddlebox, you're in danger of seriously bending them. If you can remove them, you could attack them flat on a backing board with a tooth brush and cleaning agent or even a Dremel with the fibre brush if you have it?

One recipe for cleaning brass parts in clockwork is immersing in a solution of water, soft soap and ammonia. When you do get them clean, clear cellulose is good to retain brightness, clear polyurethane tends to yellow.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 06:28:17 pm »

You might try metal cleaner and cotton buds.

Colin

tony52

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 08:56:02 pm »

Thank you Colin and Ian for the replies. The methods suggested are well worth trying. When they are bright it will be a must to apply the clear cellulose, to prevent this happening again.

Tony.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.