Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Imara build  (Read 3274 times)

Esprit350

Help with Imara build
« on: October 15, 2010, 05:09:26 pm »

Hi shipmates,
I have wanted to build Imara since I saw a completed one many years ago.  I managed to win a kit on Ebay for £300 recently (a bargain at todays prices).

I have downloaded many pics and reviews etc and have everything sussed with the build (which has started well) apart from 1 detail.

There are lines that come down from the yard on the mast to the top of the superstructure, they look like flag/pennant lines.  Many modellers have omitted them but some have included them.

I would like to include them if possible but can't work out how people have attached them so that the superstructure can be removed completely without these lines holding the hull/mast connected to the superstructure.

Any clues/tips for an easy release method greatly received.
Paul.

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help with Imara build
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 07:57:21 pm »

Some people use shirring elastic which is unhooked to allow removal of superstructure/masts etc.
Another possibility is Marks Model Bits (see Traders Directory on here) magnetic turnbuckles which can be incorporated in the rigging and these can be pulled apart, I haven't actually seen these yet but I'm on my way to Blackpool to buy some !!
Good luck with your build.

Brian Roberts

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:06:38 pm »

Paul

If you look in the instructions under the heading "The Mast", everything is explained there.

If you're still stuck I'll endeavour to help with the aid of some pics.

Brian

Esprit350

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 08:42:39 pm »

Thanks Brian,
Thought I'd read the instructions thoroughly but obviously missed that bit.  I'm guessing you are Brian Roberts of Imara Blog fame?  I have gleaned lots of useful info from your blog and pictures etc.
I found a review that mentioned the lack of mast length measurement, just the distances for attachments which cannot be used to add up and give a mast height.  Despite the review saying that it wasn't mentioned and that they scaled up the measurement from the "non-scale" plan, then then did not give away the height that they came up with!!!  What height was your mast?  If you have deck to top measurement I can work out the below deck bit for myself.

Thanks in anticipation!

Paul.

Brian Roberts

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 10:12:54 pm »

Thanks Paul for your kind remarks, but I'm sure there are other Imara builders out there more competent than me!

However........... the main mast on my Imara is 45cm tall from deck to the top.

If you need any more help I'll be pleased to oblige if I can, either by this thread or PM me.

Brian

stew49

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 06:09:58 pm »

Hey Brian, cant wait to see your Imara on the lake. Im the guy in the wheelchair. hope to see you down there soon.

Stewart

Brian Roberts

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 07:41:59 pm »

See you next Wednesday Stewart!

Brian

Esprit350

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 08:42:55 pm »

Thanks Brian.  :-))

Esprit350

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 07:55:50 pm »

Oops.  Thanks to Westcoaster as well.  Wasn't ignoring you! :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.