Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loyal Pilothouse Roof  (Read 2110 times)

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
Loyal Pilothouse Roof
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:43:31 pm »

I am having difficulty attaching the pilothouse roof to the pilothouse, so it can be removed.  Click this link for details.  All help appreciated.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323691#post16306546

PMK

Re: Loyal Pilothouse Roof
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:04:31 am »

Could you not simply use self-tapping screws? You might try drilling 3x 1mm pilot holes through the roof/angle stiffeners, then slightly enlarging the roof holes to, say, 2mm.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:16:52 am »

MMB sell some small but powerful magnets either flat round or long and thin.
These would hold on your roof and let you remove it when you want.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 01:48:38 am »

GGAux26....you could consider adding one fixed internal [atwart ships] roof beam with a nut or tapping inserted or soldered & adding a decorative component [aerial base....light fitting....etc] on the roof as a hidden retaining screw........

So then to remove the roof ....just thumb & forefinger to rotate the securing item ...I have viewed your snaps & you may also need to reinforce the underside of the pilot house roof to ensure that it sits squarely in all four corners........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

pugwash

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:23:48 am »

CGaux26,  I agree with Derek, I have had to make up two deck ventilators based on M3 bolts and these secure the whole of a deck and bridge on my destroyer.
The nuts are set in a piece of wood which fits into the deck access hatch (exactly the same idea you used originally) The only thing I did differently was use a type of
thick epoxy glue and made sure it did not get into the nut threads, also because I had to get my hand into the wiring within the hull the wood with the nuts fits into lugs on the
deck combing and can be turned about 30 degrees to the side and removed completely. If this does not make sense I can come back with a photograph.
Geoff

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 11:55:52 pm »

Thanks, guys.  Good suggestions that I will try soon.  Pugwash, a photo or two would be helpful.
Dave

pugwash

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 09:17:34 am »

Dave, herewith the photos.  First of all I must say my solutions is very sturdy as the superstructure it holds in position is very heavy with the resin turrets and director and
the three motors to rotate them.  It is also completely out of sight when everything is fitted so it doesn't have to be neat, and finally it had to be cabale of being removed to
allow access to all the internal gubbins. Its not preety but it works - no way can I lose the top section out on the water.
You can make yours so much lighter and tidier and the bottom bar of wood does not need to go right across the wheelhouse just a lug at each end would probably surfice.
Hope this helps or gives you a better idea.

Geoff

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 01:37:45 am »

This problem is solved, with help form Pugwash and Joe S., a local friend.  I made some 1/16" thick brass pieces, drilled & tapped for 4-40 thread (to fit the screws already on hand).  Then I glued them under the existing angle supports.  Photos on RCGroups at

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323691#post16323633
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.