Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpha Build  (Read 12885 times)

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
Alpha Build
« on: February 04, 2007, 01:58:33 pm »

I.ve finally started work on an old Ron Perrot Hull that I got before christmas.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Alpha Build
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 02:00:09 pm »

As there was no WTC with the hull, I've decided to scratch build  one based on the "Sheerline" system.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 02:01:54 pm »

Slots

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 02:03:31 pm »

Linkages are pretty standard, but the shaft stuffing box was made from scratch

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 03:43:55 pm »

Well done ..sir, nice build. I wish more people would put pics of their subs on here... at last something interesting to look at keep it up. ;D

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 05:16:05 pm »

Nice work there, looks like my Typhoon will have an ally  ;D Did you make the ballast tanks out of Acrylic or is it Clear PVC. Did you bond it together like the Sheerline ballast tank. Cheers

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 08:31:17 pm »

Looks like you're doing a good job there mate - look forward to seeing the finished model.

Ian
The best cure for sea-sickness is to sit under a tree.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 11:28:38 pm »

Nice work there, looks like my Typhoon will have an ally  ;D Did you make the ballast tanks out of Acrylic or is it Clear PVC. Did you bond it together like the Sheerline ballast tank. Cheers

thanks for the compliments chaps.

The tanks are 90mm Acrylic with Lexan end caps turned from sheet, I have weld the Ballast tank caps with plumber's glue which, if you're not familar with it is like real heavy duty liquid poly cement, this has bee backed up with water resistant epoxy, coupled with the brass rods, testing produced no leaks or fractures.

I was going to make it from Poly tube (Drainpipe) but liked the idea of being able to see inside.

I hope to be at the painting & weathering stage soon, I've a few ideas to try.

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 03:43:32 pm »

Hello all
im a bit of a fan of the alfa but has anyone heard of what ron perott up to these days not heard anything of him for years  does he still produce hulls or tanks anymore i have a set of his tanks and a salcon but these are earmarked for my type 21,any info or contact details as its decent quality gear and i have another project i need tanks for.
badly raised and ill mannered.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 06:47:58 pm »

Hello leaky,
If you want piston tanks then I would strongly reccomend the Engel piston tanks, absolutely superb quality, sealed units too no poking out from the end of the hull just an inlet pipe to your tank, you can order direct from the manufacturer in Germany, and they will post direct to you, About a week when I order stuff, full spares back up etc, etc,. A salcon appears a bit dated these days, far more modern levelling devices are available from Engle, Subtech, Bruggen etc. as far as I am aware Mr Perrott gave up about 1998...a few probs I think !.
Check out the Engel web site at www.engel-modellbau.de click the english version and your off, you can ring them up too and ask for Mr Gregor Engel....the managing director and owner who speaks perfect English and order with your card, all vat paid etc as its within Europe, and you pay in Euros not pounds so its all cheaper than you can get here...check out the prices on full sub kits, then do the same here for the same thing, you will weep. ;D ;D Hope this is of use.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 11:26:07 pm »

hi turbulent,
where do you get your brass rods from?
I am thinking of building a WTC for a couple of
sub I have

Colin

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 11:09:02 am »

Gingyer....If I may....have you tried B+Q warehouse they stock all sorts of threaded brass rod 1 mtr  lengths up to 6mm I think and cheap too, also brass tube nuts etc, etc. ;D ;D ;D

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

Thanks for that i will give engel a look ,ive been out of building for a few years and im a bit out of touch i intend to get back into it now thanks again
badly raised and ill mannered.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 07:32:41 pm »

Hello all
im a bit of a fan of the alfa but has anyone heard of what ron perott up to these days not heard anything of him for years  does he still produce hulls or tanks anymore i have a set of his tanks and a salcon but these are earmarked for my type 21,any info or contact details as its decent quality gear and i have another project i need tanks for.

Ron sold his moulds to PANDAN, as far as I'm aware, he is no longer producing sub gear.

pm me for his email address.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 07:36:32 pm »

Alpha is progressing to completion now.

I have completed opening up the hull and this weekend I hope to fill a couple of joints, connect up the front planes and get a coat of primer on her.

I'm struggling for good colours pictures of a real Alpha though for detailing.

Also cant decide on 6v 4amh or 12v 2.8amh.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 07:37:59 pm »

Thanks for that sub driver
I never considered B & Q will have to go and investigate  :)

Colin

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 08:57:40 pm »

Batteries:

Decided to go with 6 volt, less power I know but more amps for space availble.
Anyway it works ok on Chris's Akula.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 09:01:30 pm »

I needed to fit two couplings as per my Trafalgar to overcome the height difference, but this has the added bonus of making everything run smoother.

I've also completed fitting the servo & linkages for the front planes, these will run on channel 6 on my FF7 and be mixed with the stern planes, this is something I do with all my boats now, the improvement in handling is very noticeble

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 10:42:41 am »

Have you tried conatcting Wayne Frey for Alfa information?

His book is a good purchase, if you haven't got it already, and he's researched more info since that book was published.

If he can't help then I'm not sure who can.

Good work with the boat so far- an underwater rocket!

Andy

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2007, 04:14:30 pm »

Thanks for that, I'm a member of Sub pirates (Like yourself), so I am familiar with Wayne's research, I've been meaning to contact him Ref; his book.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 02:01:36 pm »

Got her Keel wet today, all seems ok, but I'm not sure about that battery, she sits well at in the water, but I may have to overweight her to get a bit of stability, as you see her, she has no lead at all, seems my rough guestimate on ballast / weight theory works!

I will recharge the battery & try her again tonight & if alls well begin the best bit...........painting & weathering.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 06:32:59 pm »

Looking good, so much easier when you sub fits in the bath  ;D Just getting the Typhoon upstairs to scrub it down is a logistical nightmare without an extra set of hands. I have some Alfa plans that look pretty good, PM me if you need them.

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 07:11:52 pm »

Very nice work Turbulent. I've been following this with great interest and am glad you've reached the test tank bit.  I've got 4 ready for ballasting but her indoors won't let me use the upstairs test tank! Fortunately my mate has just told me that he hs a 9' x 3' collapsible one that I can erect outside. With a bit of luck the weather will stay warm enough to allow some progress over the next couple of weeks  :)
I have also managed to acquire a big'un today - an Eden Los Angeles complete with torpedo system. Absolutely beautiful! 103" loa x 9" beam. Pictures to follow when I can find some trestles and get some help to lift it from its 'coffin'!

Andrew

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 09:57:32 pm »

Didnt know Eden did an LA, thought they'd only done the Ohio. look forward to seeing the pic's.

Mankster I've pm'd you.

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 10:16:45 pm »

Still in its crate at this point. Once I get the lifting team pressganged sometime next week  I'll get it up onto trestles and get some decent pics.

Andrew

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.