Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sealight Puffer  (Read 9350 times)

saxon

Sealight Puffer
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:27:00 pm »

Ordered the Sealight Puffer from Mountfleet models at the weekend just waiting on it to arrive now . Looking forward to getting that box open . :} Has anyone any advise on the build ?????

john

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sealight Puffer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:08:00 pm »

Hi John

Chingdevil's your man - I'm sure he will be responding shortly!

Don't forget to post lots of pictures along the way. I, for one, will be watching with interest.

Mike

saxon

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 07:16:03 pm »

Just finishing of a Maggie M at the moment and was wanting my next project . Always fancied a Puffer , always remember my father and unlce talking about them when i was a boy . Wanted once since . :}

john

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 11:45:31 pm »

John

Are you going to call her "Saxon"?

It sounds as if your father and uncle could be a useful source of information. Are you based in Scotland? If so, have you come across the Vic 32?

Mike

ooyah/2

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:02:28 am »

Hi Mike,
Can't name the SEALIGHT , SAXON.
Completely different boat, much bigger at  86ft as Saxon is 66ft  wheel house and boiler room casing completely different. Sealight too big to use the Forth and Clyde canal.
Saxon was originally launched as "Dane" which was built at J &.J. HAYS yard on the Forth and Clyde canal in Kirkintilloch my home town.

I do realize the connection between Saxon's I.D. and Saxon the boat.

Your pic of the puffer in the dock, the dock was the old KINGSTON dock which was used to berth the puffers in the heart of Glasgow. It's now filled in and has flats built on the infill and the other I think is at Brodick pier.
I served my apprentice ship about 100 yds from the dock and had many blethers with the puffer men, just some useless info to be filed in the round file cabinet

George.

saxon

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 11:10:36 am »

Great Pictures Corposant , Thank You . Could be an option to call it Saxon now . I live in N.Ireland in a Small seaside town called Donaghadee . Both my father and uncle worked in the maritime industry and have a shine for the Puffers, thats were the idea was put into my head to build a model one at sometime. The Trent class lifeboat that is based in Donaghadee is also called Saxon . :-))

john

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:18:08 am »

Simple call her "Saxon II"  Dont forget to do a build with pics here. :-))
..well can you land on this?

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 05:23:43 pm »

George

Thankyou for putting me right! I did manage to find evidence of a 66' "Sealight" built in 1907 - but she was lengthened to 85' in 1911!

Your main point, though, is that the Mountfleet model is of the specific "Sealight" built in 1930 and therefore should be named as such. I know that Ian (Chingdevil) went to a lot of trouble to make sure he got his right.

Another "Sealight" appears to have been built in 1970 or thereabouts - stranded in 1991. I am envious of your "blethers" with real puffermen. It was interesting that the "Coast" programme which featured the VIC 32 had an interview with an old pufferman, rather than with Nick Walker who restored her.

Mike

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 05:28:56 pm »

John

The thing that got me smitten on puffers was a "holiday" on the VIC 32 - and I'm a sassenach!

My build is Caldercraft's "Northlight" which is generic rather than a specific puffer - so I will be able to call her what I like!

Mike

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 06:47:32 pm »

The 'Clyde Puffer'was so called because of it's sound when puffing along the Forth &Clyde Canal
It had a simple engine that used canal water as boiler feed water so could not go out into the Clyde's
salt water.
The boats with the condensing engines were known as out side boats
They were then lengthened to give them a greater range and payload to enable them to work the
western Isles and the odd trip to Northern Ireland
The outside boats didn't puff!

Yours Aye

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

saxon

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 07:01:14 pm »

Thanks for the replies . It's really interesting to find out some of the history behind the Puffer and the different types .
Well ,update on the model , Its still not here yet  >>:-(

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 09:38:03 pm »

Well that`ll give you time to read some of the Para handy Tales by Neil Munro.  Adventures  of the skipper of, in his words ,"the finest vessel in the coastal trade" {-)
..well can you land on this?

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 09:59:31 pm »

Or watch the Ealing Studios "The Maggie"!

saxon

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 10:06:22 pm »

Lol  {-),The Maggie, class film ! Thats one i'll have to find and watch again ...... :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 02:48:38 am »

Yep, The Maggie is a good film. And I am a young 'un on here (50).

I saw the chatter about it on here last year and bought the DVDs for Maggie, Whiskey Galore and Parahandy (60s TV version) on Amazon.

Sadly the BBC have not put the 80s version of Parahandy on DVD, only on VHS.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

saxon

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 09:04:47 pm »

The kit has now arrived !!!! Looks like a great kit at first glance . Have a few things to order of the net , read the booklet ,and then its out to the shed to get started  :} :}

saxon

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 10:55:43 pm »

Started the Sealight today . Cleaned the hull up ,to be honest wasn't much to do there . Also installed the rudder frame and rudder. All went together without any problems . Have ordered the motor and coupling so i'm waiting on them to arrive before i fit the prop shaft ,so i can get everything nicely lined up . Next job are the deck supports . I'm going to try and post updates of the build as often as possible, but you know it can be hard to get time to work on models everyday .

john

chingdevil

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 11:17:54 pm »

When I built my Sealight when I fitted the deck beams the dimensions for the quarter deck bulwark did not work out so I had to build that up.  I also put a camber onto the main deck as Sealight had this, but the Mountfleet kit does not. I brought another plan for my Sealight so I could add more detail and get the rigging correct. I can copy it into A3 size also I have some close up pictures of mine PM me if you want them no charge.
If you want any further information, just ask.

Brian

saxon

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 10:40:47 am »

That would be very much appreciated Brian . As you can see i really am just in the first stages of the build . Looking forward to getting the deck on , but at first glance the fore deck seems to be wide on the beam fore the hull . Must need a good trim ?

Regards John

LarryW

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 11:21:17 am »

hi there puffer fan , this my puffer , built of photo mount board. from a free down load plan .
sails well and looks well scrufy  .........larry

saxon

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 01:21:05 pm »

She looks great Larry ! There is just something about the Puffer .They all seem to have their own personalities  :}

john

saxon

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 09:43:00 pm »

Well i have managed to get a bit of work done to The Sealight this week . I have the running gear all installed and the decks in place ,i have put a slight camber on the main deck as chingdevil quite rightly pointed out .Many thanks to Brian once again for the assistance . Hope to get the wash ports installed over the weekend and maybe the deck coamings started .

John

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.