Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with boat choice please!  (Read 2027 times)

woody_294

Help with boat choice please!
« on: October 17, 2010, 11:24:26 pm »

Hi there! I'm looking to build an RC boat to build for me and my son to enjoy (he's 6). I was looking for a fairly simple mono inboard type that's not too complicated to build for a novice, around 24-30" would be a nice size I reckon, and not too expensive would also be nice!

I've been looking into helping my dad get his Sea Queen up and running and decided I'd like one of my own :)

I don't really want to go for a kit, I've allowed myself a lot of time (4-5 months) for building this in spare time, but a set of plans I think is a must for me. I don't mind paying for them, but I have no idea where to start.

I quite like the look of my dad's sea queen, but I'm open to suggestions!

Andy

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Help with boat choice please!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:03:08 am »

Andy, a good place to start looking would be the My Hobby Store web site, here http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/group/29/model-boat-plans Just click on the link.

It lists a wide range of plans for model boats of all types, and for all levels of ability.

Peter.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:16:45 am »

Another option would be a Springer tug. Very popular.
We have a whole section on Springers here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=95.0
including free plans. You can build them from scratch, easy, or buy a fiberglass hull.

And the easiest option could be a Dickie/Seaport tug.
These are cheap RTR models that convert really easily. You will need to change the radio equipment, as the original equipment is toy grade.
Some of the conversions only really use the hull, as this is a great platform for doing other things.
These are so popular that we also have a whole section on these http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=125.0

Have a look, and good luck. :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:38:46 am »

Hi Andy, 'Marine Modelling International' Magazine offer a good selection of boat plans:

http://shop.traplet.com/browse.aspx?c=4454#                   (highlight 'Plans and Parts' with your mouse and browse categories.)

Modellers build whatever 'floats' or arouses their interest. We are all different and taste is a matter of personal choice. Research the sections on Mayhem and make a shortlist and also visit a local model boat club.  :-)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:14:35 am »

Hi Andy, 'Marine Modelling International' Magazine offer a good selection of boat plans:

http://shop.traplet.com/browse.aspx?c=4454#                   (highlight 'Plans and Parts' with your mouse and browse categories.)

Modellers build whatever 'floats' or arouses their interest. We are all different and taste is a matter of personal choice. Research the sections on Mayhem and make a shortlist and also visit a local model boat club.  :-)

Yep
There is a whole section of plans called 'Easy Build'.

What part of the world are you in Woody, UK/US/Canada/Australia/other?
This info can also help others help you.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

woody_294

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 12:49:54 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I'm on the UK, Northern Ireland presently!

Had a good look, and conferring with my son, I think we've decided on the FAC (Missile) Boat

What do you guys think of this choice? How does this boat go through the water? I'd have liked a planing boat but I suspect this isn't one. I will however go with this choice if it's not a bad one, I suppose there's always next time!

Shame I didn't decide on this in July 2003 because I could have gotten it free with MMI! :)

There's a shop in Belfast I may pay a visit to, I think it's called "The Model Shop". Seems there at least 2 shops under this name in Northern Ireland, no idea if they're related however as the name's a bit generic.

rathikrishna

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 06:37:44 am »

GREAT LINKS...thanks veterans..its too nice to know..and yes i have decided ti make one..thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.