The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Steam

TVR1A Boiloer

(1/1)

MichaelK:
Hi Folks,
I need to purchase a boiler\burner\oiler etc for my TVR1A motor. {:-{
These motors have a max pressure of 35psi.
My questions are, ,,,
 Is there a problem if I use a boiler rated to 60psi, (which seems quite common), and adjust or replace the saftey valve to blow off at 35psi ? {:-{
 Is there a down-side to doing this? Would I use more gas\heat beads\coal or whatever I use to heat the water, running it at only half pressure? Would I use more water?

I'm sure that some where on this forum there is an answer.  :-)) Could somebody please point me in the right direction! :-)
Thank you
Mick

Bunkerbarge:
Not at all, the boiler working pressure is only a maximum pressure.  You can operate it lower if you want to by controlling the burner by some means and by having the safety valcve set lower.  Remember though you want to avoid the safety lifting at all costs, as it is a waste of a huge amount of energy.  You should, wherever possible, control the burner to keep the pressure lower and the safety is just a guarrantee that the pressure will not rise.

Also bear in mind that when you get a steaming certificate it will only be for the safety valve and burner configuration that you have fitted to the boiler at the time.  If you subsequently change the burner or safety valve setting the steaming certificate will become invalid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version