Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Atlantis  (Read 13242 times)

Richard M

Robbe Atlantis
« on: October 18, 2010, 05:33:48 pm »

I am building the Robbe Atlantis, only my second project. I have successfully got as far as the bulwarks but am now confused. Can anyone help?

I assume that the ledge on the supplied plastic strips fits over the step moulded about 10mm down on the outside of the hull although the instructions are a little vague.
If I am correct there I have 2 problems

1  The width of the step on the hull is greater than on the strips so when secured with the temporary screws there is a gap suggesting that I need to insert a packing strip just below deck level.

2  The dimension given for the scuppers appears to set them too low and they will be part obscured by my packer or the original hull.

I would also be interested to make contact with anyone who has built or is building Atlantis.

Hope someone can help

RichM

rats

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Robbe Atlantis
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:20:06 pm »

This is a complete build from beginning to end

http://ukatlantisbuilder.blogspot.com/2005_09_01_archive.html

tony23

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:16:43 pm »

Hi Rich,
           A very nice yacht to build why not put some pictures up of the build I'm sure we would love to see them, have a look on this site as well it may help http://www.sparksstudios.com/boatyard/atlantis.htm  :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:38:10 am »

I love visiting Sparks studio
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tony23

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 08:12:54 am »

I do to, a bit nearer Christmas I'm going to treat myself to a Valdivia kit something to build over the winter months as sailing would have slowed down what with icey lakes  :-)

Richard M

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 01:22:11 pm »

Hi guys

Thanks for links, I love Sparks Studio too. I am a real amateur but thought I would start a blog to share what I am learning and to get feedback from builders with their experiences. The URL is http://robbeatlantis.blogspot.com.

The reason it is not up to date, we have been on a cruise, hence next project, a harbour tug with Vorth Schneider drive, I guess I will have to use the Graupner drive but unsure about the Parat kit that goes with it, dont know how good it makes up.

RichM

DJS

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 10:14:35 pm »

I received my Robbe Atlantis kit this week.  I have been looking at them for months but was choking a bit on the price.  I stumbled across a gentlemen selling one that he bought 10+ yrs ago and never built.  I am very excited to get going.  Hope your build is going well.  I have been jealously watching it unfold. 

Dave

Brian Roberts

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 11:47:51 pm »

I ordered my Atlantis over two months ago and I'm still waiting! When the kit originally arrived at the retailer it was checked before despatch to me and was found to have a cracked hull.
It was immediately returned to Robbe for replacement and we're still waiting...................!

Brian

tony23

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 06:16:33 pm »

anybody got any further with there builds?

Richard M

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 01:27:17 pm »

Hi
I am well on the way now. The hull is painted and the Hafords paints I used seemed to stay soft for a while. I therefore left it upside down in a warm room and got on with the 3 parts of the superstructure which are now nearing completion. By the way Robbes stripy veneer for the roofs is awful, mine delaminated when I bent it and I think their suggestion for finishing the cabin corners is almost impossible. I trimmed the corners with thin strip mahogany which gives a pleasing (to me) panelled effect.
The keel weight fell out while the hull was inverted so I am getting as much as possible done before I put it back. 1st fit of railings next I think.
I have also started the rigging, failed to succeed withh soldering the stainless steel wires so am using fishing crimps which work brilliantly, especially when finished with shrink sleeving.

Be pleased to hear of anyone elses progress

RichardM

tony23

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 01:24:22 pm »

Hi Richard,
               Any updates on your progress?

Richard M

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 09:24:15 pm »

Hi SpamCanMan

No more progress but will start to look ar railings tomorrow.

By the way, did you get Valdavia and what are your impressions so far?

RichardM

tony23

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 12:12:28 am »

Hi Richard,
               Yes, I took delivery of my Valdavia last week I got a great deal from Westbourne Models I have bought the yacht and the fittings kit I'm going to mould my own keel ballest and purchase my own decking timber. At the moment I'm getting things ready I just purchased a pack of Stabilit Express, epoxy's and cyno's ready for the build, tonight I have built the stand for the hull.

I'm going to do a build thread on here with many pictures of the process hoping I get much feedback from forum members on how to go about things while building her.  :-)

Richard M

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 02:09:38 pm »

Hi SpamCanMan,

Be interested to follow your progress. I wonder if the build technique is broadly similar to Atlantis, do you know?

Here are some photos of my Atlantis, the railings are only first fit.

RichardM

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 06:01:42 pm »

have just purchased a near complete model, never been on the water either. Have always liked the shape of it, but was not until I put it up last sunday for the first time, that I realise how big and heavy this boat really is! Will get some pics of her and put them up on here for you to view.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Richard M

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 08:52:37 pm »

Hi klunk

Glad to hear of someone else joining the Atlantis club. Have fun with her!

I am hoping to organise a very inforrmal get together of Atlantis owners one Saturday this summer. It would be at the boating lake in Kettering, Northants. Would this be of interest to you?

RichardM

tony23

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 12:30:44 am »

Hi Richard,
              If my Atlantis is ready by then I will make it I'm nearing completing the hull ready for painting not sure on the final finish colour for the hull yet.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 10:23:51 am »

Being in beds Yes. Are you going to mayhem. If so we could meet up.
full time penguin

Richard M

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 12:10:28 pm »

Hi klunk

Great regarding location

Im not able to go to Mayhem this year as we will be on holiday but will contact you later on

RichardM

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 07:50:02 pm »

no problem, hopefully will be tset sailing in 2-3 weeks. Just sorting out the rigging and internal electrics, as I never made the boat it is a bit of reserch to find where all the wires and sail rig goes to and from. It has all been together and looks good, but had problems when trying to use the sail winch. Will get her sorted and pics up as soon as poss, hopefully the weather will hold for a couple of evenings so I can get her rigged and checked again!
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 07:17:16 pm »

got some pics finally

16.jpg][/URL]   

full time penguin

Richard M

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 05:39:24 pm »

Hi Klunk

Photos looking great, have you sailed her yet?

Had to put the get together idea on hold due to impending house move but still hope to do it later this year.

Letr us know how the sailing goes

RichardM

sailorboy61

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 06:19:04 pm »

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 07:40:04 pm »

not sailed her yet. I need a rigging chart as the back sail is not rigged correctly. Will get this sorted and hopefully set her loose in 2 weeks time!
full time penguin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.