Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Aziz Build  (Read 16359 times)

adam_goodin

Aziz Build
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:12:14 pm »

HI all,
 Just started my build of the Aziz (intend on some slight mod's for a more, North Sea type vessel)!
Pics will follow, but for now, would it be possible to pick your brains ? :embarrassed:

Im up to the Bow thruster installation point, however, ive never fitted one before, so any hints/tips would be great! im a little weary of even drilling the holes required...so basically, how?!? :embarrassed: :D
 Other than that, i hope to have some pics up for you all soon of the build and other models.
Regards and many thanks. Adam :-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aziz Build
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:26:05 pm »

Hi Adam,

Good choice of model. There are several builds on here (just look in the search box) but to answer your question, the word you are looking for is 'carefully'.

Always start with a small hole in the hull and ensure it is parallel across the bow. To enlarge the hole, I always use a tapered reamer  gradually widening the hole a bit at a time. Bear in mind that it will come out as an Oval hole because of the curvature of the hull.

When the pipe is fitted parallel you will have a small gap at the front which can be filled with P38  (car body filler)  to shape itself into the hull.

A second tip is to mount the motor shaft at a slight angle leaning back into the boat for easy access and removal of the motor should you ever need to do so.

Hope this helps

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

adam_goodin

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 08:58:58 pm »

Thanks for that Ken, appreciated!
 Done plenty of boats but never a Thruster so pretty daunting really. Might have to go out and get myself a set of reamer's ...oddly enough it's possibly one of the only things i don't have in my aladins cave (tool box)!
 So, when cutting the hole itself, strange question, but do i cut with the curvature of the hull or do i cut parallel to the opposing side? if that makes any sense.

Regarding the space for the motor, Aziz has plenty of room at her Bows for access to the bow thruster, however, i will be setting at a slight angle, just incase!!
 Thanks much !

Adam

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:19:09 am »

Hi Adam

Yes, you cut the hole parallel to the opposite side. You will find it starts off fairly circular but will start digging in to the rear section. This is why my reamer has a T bar for good grip and slow scraping. The Gel coat will fracture into tiny bits but don't worry as these will be filled later when you bond it in. 

Please remember to keep stopping and checking the two holes match up, so do a bit each side and keeping an eye on it. I use dowels longer than the boat width so that I can put a spirit level across it.

With reference the 'room in the bows', by the time the motor is fitted you will find the access to the screws is very limited, unless you have a small shaft screwdriver.

Don't forget some pictures as you go along of each stage.   :-))

Ken

adam_goodin

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 07:47:41 pm »

Thanks again Ken,
 I have been taking photo's and all will be up-loaded as soon as i can find the usb connection and the program!! haha

I've been reading up on some horror stories about the Aziz's Aft deck hatch not being all that clever, could you shed some light on this at all? or any remedies for a more secure hatch!!  %)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 09:18:01 pm »

Hi Adam

I have the dubious honour of a loose rear deck hatch.    %)    I did leave it loose when she set sail at the annual Mayhem Bash and it floated off causing a small sinking. No harm done but the solution has been debated on here many, many times.

As it's a flat base sitting on a flat deck then you will have problems. The only way is to fit a ridged bulwark section similar to the cabin arrangement and design the rear floor to cover over this.

In the end I glued 6 container boxes together and cut out the joined base so that it sat over the new internal bulwarks.

Here's a shot using two as a test run, but I finally decided on blocking them all together as I could keep the large aperture for access to the innards.  It's a real nice boat and all this talking about her makes me want to build another as I have sold mine and miss her.

You might notice the deck sits high . This was the first experiment where the whole deck was placed on the raised bulwarks. This was abandoned in favour of the lower solution.

Ken

adam_goodin

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 12:41:35 am »

Thanks Ken,
 Ahh, so it's yours that i've seen being collected from a lake! Oh Dear...it's a shame when this happens but atleast you were able to dry out your internals with no real harm done!
 I've not even built mine and I want another, I think they're a great looking model and it would good to have a small fleet of them!!! ....perhaps with a semi-sub to go with (She who must be obeyed would certainly be annoyed) O0 {-)

Been taking some pics today but back on regular days now for a while so hopefully over the weekend or next week i'll have them uploaded on here.

Cheers ;)

ps. Could i ask where you got the containers from, or are they a scratch build?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 07:31:43 pm »

Hi Adam.

:embarrassed:   mmmph!!

The containers were supplied by Model slipway BUT they have stopped selling them now. I reckon there's a market for them but they can be obtained in the USA, I believe.

If I make another one, I will not cut out the sunken V shapes nor the access apertures in the bulwarks, as this is the main water inlet areas when cornering at speed, in the rain, with a choppy sea.    :} :}

ken

adam_goodin

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 08:01:14 pm »

Funny you should mention those V shaped bollard cut-outs, as Im contemplating not cutting them out for that exact reason.
 However, then i need to re-think the bollards positions then and "realistic" looking access to them.

On the water, is she terrible at water ingress, or is this just in a rough sea-state etc?

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 08:18:29 pm »

Hi Adam

Macs Mouldings do a 1/48 scale container
http://www.macsmouldings.co.uk/page_1272196467047.html

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 08:23:51 pm »

There are six apertures on each side that are at deck level ??  An open invite to water ingress at speed.  My idea is to reduce the length of the long slots and not cut out the rest (as mentioned previously).  You will need somewhere for deck water to run away, so smaller apertures won't let so much in.

The bollards could stay where they are with further short slots in front of them. It all depends on whether you think this will detract from Aziz's look. I did consider fitting clear plastic to the openings on mine at one time, but never got around to it.

Another tip which I always do is to have higher deck combings to locate the cabin more firmly and prevent water swishing up inside. I do it with all my boats.  (having been bitten eh !!)

ps   Thanks Longshanks. I shall get some, their great.

adam_goodin

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 08:32:19 pm »

:embarrassed: yes dosey me, forgot about the freeing ports. And, i actually don't intend on aziz being aziz ... I will be re-naming her and modding her slightly to depict a vessel which would be a North sea supply or AH vessel.
 Those containers are great, thanks Longshanks!
Smaller/shorter freeing ports are definately on the cards, and a re-think on those cut outs. Some research on other vessels me thinks.
 How about a layer of flat lead in the bottom of the containers to keep the deck in place, shouldn't make her top heavy.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 08:38:01 pm »

How about a layer of flat lead in the bottom of the containers to keep the deck in place, shouldn't make her top heavy.

Not necessary, as when the containers are glued together, it's possible to cut out the base floor and have a cabin shape which goes over combings, similar to the upper cabin fixture.   ok2   

ken

adam_goodin

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 08:59:26 pm »

Ah i see what you mean now, just in your photo, the whole deck seems to be attached to the containers? ... or am i being completely daft now!! %)
 You wouldn't by any chance be going to the international model show at Warwickshire would you Ken? because it would be good to have a chat about this!

And i haven't forgotton about the photo's!

some cracking fittings and accessories on macsmouldings.co.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 11:17:12 am »

That picture was the forerunner of the Mods. The pics below show the final layout.

I shall be there on Saturday wearing my MAYHEM cap proudly. We all meet up at Steamboat Phil's stand around noon and have silly photo's taken for ribald comments later on here.  8)

Bring your wallet as it's the show of the year and you won't have time to eat.

ken

adam_goodin

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 12:12:49 pm »

Champion Ken,
 Nice finish, i think i might just try out those containers. It looks great with the accessories onboard.

I'd better not mention 'wallet' to She who must be obeyed!
Well if you guys don't mind i'll come and say hello and find out who's who...is that a good thing? %) {-) only kidding!

I am determained to get some photo's up tomorrow ... and today i'll be making the cut for the bow-thruster!

Cheers

adam_goodin

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 10:54:16 am »

Well...the photo's thing didn't really happen did it ! :embarrassed:
 Long story Guys and Girls. However Aziz is back in the box, but shall be back on the slipway so to speak in the next week or so.

We had a burst pipe in the loft so im now working from a laptop for the time being whilst things are being repaired etc.

So, over the winter period, there actually will be evidence of me building some kind of a model !!! %) :embarrassed: Might even stick some pics up of the others too.

Apologies for the dissapearing act.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 11:09:07 am »

So yours was flooded from ABOVE eh !!.  They do seem to attract attention of the H2O.    {:-{

Seriously, you get the house sort first and come back when you're ready.

All the best

ken

adam_goodin

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 09:54:55 am »

Cheers Ken,
 Just doing a little re-painting and should be good to go!

It's a bit strange when it starts raining in-doors...no it wasn't that bad really, mostly just water marks and cosmetic stuff! Thankfully it was noticed almost straight away so I shut off the supply within minutes.

Cheers,  :D

rathikrishna

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 07:36:17 am »

Hai Adam...its so amazing...to see this post..even last night i was looking around this craft as i saved its picture from net. because i am in my work table to make a good tug...and so happy to see it here...and one kind request..will you add a video of this craft here..?  please...?  it will be a nice view...its mighty..and good looking...please..Rathi.

adam_goodin

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 08:52:06 pm »

Hi Guys,

Hadn't realised how long it's been since i was last on here !!!!(House took a little longer than first presumed!) SO first off, Happy New year to everyone and I hope you all had a fantastic time over Christmas.

For me, got the house sorted finally and Aziz is back on the go-go ... but an even better update (for me atleast) ..

I've decided to get back to Sea, but instead of with the RN im now working for an offshore company on the Anchor Crankers...so 3 guesses what Aziz will be modelled on!

Anyway some updates up and coming soon Guys and Girls.

Cheers All :-)

Ps. Rathi - The Aziz build you see in this thread is not my build, it's actually a fantastic build by Tug-Kenny. SO all credit to Him on that score :-))

rathikrishna

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 05:32:03 am »

Good morning and thank you Adam..i will contact Kenny once...and thanks for your kind reply...have a nice day...

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 12:04:20 pm »

Personal message sent to Rathi.   :}

Ken

rathikrishna

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 06:14:27 am »

thank you...i got it...have a nice day...

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 12:08:45 pm »

Hi Guys,

For me, got the house sorted finally and Aziz is back on the go-go ... but an even better update (for me at least) ..

Looks like a great candidate for a CRANE.                       ;) ;)

Ken

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.