The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Steam

Cheddar Boiler

(1/2) > >>

drbelly:
Hi Everyone,

A couple of years ago we inherited quite a collection of steam engines and boats from my father-in-law. These have been in storage up until recently when we have decided to sort them out.

One of the items is a cheddar boiler. The instructions comment on a cheddar 3500 or 4000 boiler but it doesn't actually say which this is. It measures 9" long by 4" in diammeter. I would be interested if anyone could give me any more details regarding this boiler. I have attached some photos for you to take a look.

Thanks in advance

Chris  :-)

Bunkerbarge:
I know there are far more knowledgeable members out there when it comes to Cheddar stuff butI strongly suspect that the boilers were identical in fittings but they were made as two sizes.  It would be interesting to see what the capacity came out at as that may help identify it.

Another thing is that some Cheddar stuff did have identification numbers engraved on them.  Have a good look around the shell and see if you can find a number.

As for capacity, simply fill it right up with water and then pour out into a measuring jug.  The capacity in litres may line up with one of the figures you quote.  Lovely boiler though and well worth putting into a boat.

gondolier88:
Hi drbelly,

I would imagine that the 3500 refers to a 3.5" dia and the 4000 to the 4" dia one you have.

Greg

logoman:
that's the 3500. weren't these made by Stuart?

HS93 (RIP):

--- Quote from: logoman on October 19, 2010, 07:31:10 pm ---that's the 3500. weren't these made by Stuart?

--- End quote ---

Yes they where a stuart design and Cheddar did make a few when it took over but quickley went in to production of the type you normally see on Cheddar plants. they did sell a lot of them off cheap as they launched there new range to get rid of old stock they are a well proven boiler that work well. I even think they will take a ceramic burner, wich some of the ealey Cheddar boilers cannot.

Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version