Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mags and books  (Read 2171 times)

LarryW

mags and books
« on: October 19, 2010, 09:00:24 pm »

hi  i attended a few shows this year being new comer to boat modeling i have bought a books on the hobby ,.....
 also purchased model boats magazine and marine modeling international,  the latter seems to cover more topics and info, ...

re model boats seems to dwell on the good old days , thats OK you pay your money you take your choice .but come on this is 2010.
    so take a straw poll with offers  the most intrest or do we   need a update on these mags based on the hints  advice and tips as covered on mayhem?...
        as a guide line more for new comers on building and starter help we not super build wis kids   ...larry,/ :-)

hmsantrim

Re: mags and books
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:08:53 am »

Hi larry.
            What you have said about the difference between the two boat mags  I realised 25 years ago when MMI first appeared.

MMI I thought was a more technical mag as it seemed to be more factual and showed you how to do things. With kit 
                 reviews, boats being scratch built, lists of suppliers to the hobby, and displaying new products from manufacturers along with
                     the latest gadgets to make life easier.

The MB magazine also has its place in the hobby as it covers different topics. Idealy you want to browse them both in the
                shop B4 you buy then you wont be dissapointed if there are no items of interest after you have parted with you cash and at
                 nearly £4 a go I have to admit "I try b4 I buy"...

The magazines are there as reference material as a "Whats available at the time" as in like most things the hobby and its
                    products never stand still.

Larry the advice you get on mayhem comes from the Guy`s  years of practical experience which is something you wont
                   read about in a book or mag and having said that even the best of us can make a "Pigs ear of it some times" as no two
                     models  present the same challenges.   

Having been at some shows you will have seen a variety of models and  different standards of model making and you
                          may have decided a type of model you would like to have a go at.
                           If you are at this stage make a start on some thing at your skill level and ask questions along the way when you are
                           stuck.  On the forum you can get six different answers to a question with each one being a perfectly feasible
                           technical solution to your problem.

Thats why this kind of info is not in print as its like ancient tribal customs its passed on verbally and physically
                           which is how the skill base in the hobby survives.  Larry being a forum member is like having access to the technical
                             skill base of every UK /Can  OZ/Kiwi  model boat club and how could you fit that in a magazine.???

cheers Frank          :-))   

tony52

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 10:21:24 am »

Larry
For a newcomer, try to get some of Vic Smeed's books from years gone by 1970's etc. Even today the content is excellent bearing in mind a few modifications are required e.g. modern radio gear. They appear regularly on ebay.

Tony

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:56:50 am »

"Boat Modelling" by Vic Smeed Tony?? No good buying that, only deals with Hard Chine, Bread and butter, Clinker and even (Shock Horror) Gumstrip constructions. GRP and Vac forms were far into the future.

No, much better to line the coffers of someone elses research and don't even think of beingraped by the Flee on a newly re-discovered "Vintage AeroKits" offering. {-)

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:11:50 am »

Gumstrip is still a great material and very versatile, I'm still very happy to use it. But yes, Vic's books are rather outdated now and there are better examples to be had although we all have our own favourites.

Colin

LarryW

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 11:22:57 am »

here we go down memory lane again i have vic smeed book helpfull yes , but / its time to move on to moden building products.
  and moden builders........ larry.. O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:32:18 am »

its time to move on to moden building products.
  and moden builders......

Well, if traditional materials were good enough for the ancient Egyptians they're good enough for me. Your vac formed hulls will be microscopic dust in 3,000 years time - nothing to remember you by!  :} :} :}

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:33:11 am »

After today and next Jan, you might like to re-think that one Larry.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

LarryW

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 03:21:42 pm »

well you got live your one day at time , but its; good to talk about this than that ,  still its, beter than doing nothing at 74......larry  %%

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 09:40:27 pm »

Hello. Go down to your local club. hang around to get known & ask their opinions, ( people like to be asked)
together with Mayhem comments you will learn a lot & it will save you Money.
                                              Nemesis

LarryW

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 09:40:30 am »

you are right ,i have joined the clevendon mbc. nice bunch of lads..........  :-))larry.

Bowwave

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 11:10:55 am »

What if you have no access to clubs in your location or heaven forbid are unable to access Mayhem,    go to the library and read John Bowen's Ship Model Makers Manual for free. This book is nearly 30years old but remains one of the best.  There is no substitute to books by people that know their subject,  Brian King , Will Mowell , Keith Julier are but three that  spring to mind there are many more.  Knowledge  of  building practices   for  the  model ship in all its forms   is to the advantage of the model builder whether it comes in the form of a book, magazine or any other avenue.
Bowwave
 :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.