Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On Board Video camera and radio link to shore TV  (Read 7545 times)

rayna

On Board Video camera and radio link to shore TV
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:36:47 am »

%)Hi has anyone any links they can suggest to info about suitable hardware to set up a bridge mount TV camera that would send real time images bak to shore located monitor.
thanks
Rayna

sailorboy61

Re: On Board Video camera and radio link to shore TV
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:15:42 am »

I think I remember seeing on Spektrum's website some receivers that could be used for telemetry..... presume that could be a video channel??

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:33:54 pm »

We did it on a Severn class Lifeboat some time ago. there are some videos on our website www.lifeboatmodels.co.uk

The setup is two small video camera's one forward facing and one looking over the stern. These are switched from the R/C as to which one is on. the outputs are connected to a AV sender box the ones you can get for around the house. All this runs from the boats 12v supply. On the back of the transmitter is mounted the AV receiver which is connected to a 7" screen on top of the transmitter and powered from a battery belt. There are a couple of points that are worth a note first is that its a lot of extra weight around your neck so we have a set of straps that go over the solders the second thing is that when we did this there was no 2.4 Ghz R/C kit and the AV sender and receiver are on 2.4 so we now get interference when there is a 2.4 set around this can be overcome by using the newer 5.8 AV kit that is coming onto the market.

One last thing be careful of the combined miniature combined  security camera / transmitter they often do not have a very high power output and this only a small range.

Hope this is of some help

John

barriew

• Full Mayhemer

rayna

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 03:25:05 am »

:-)) Thanks guys some links info to follow up there.
Rayna

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:41:03 am »

Another option is not to have the viewable link on the shore, but to save to an onboard memory card. One of the problems with onshore live viewing is having good enough software to record to your hard drive in real time.

A while back I tried out one of the USB Pen Video Cameras on a boat, tied it to the mast and set it recording.

Got some amazing shots, and from memory (no pun intended) I got over an hours recording on the 2Gb card fitted in the pen camera.

I experimented also with a wireless video camera onboard, beaming back to a laptop, but the quality was nowhere near as good in my opinion, whether this has improved with the new 2.4ghz cameras I dont know

Andrew

rathikrishna

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 12:42:28 pm »

Friend..just buy a set of wireless surveillance camera,and fix it on your craft...i Will post a detailed stuff soon...

John Mk2

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 02:35:30 pm »

This was using one of those key fob cam's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRKD7ZPvt5Y

chingdevil

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 02:48:41 pm »

One of the lifeboat guys has a camera on his model with a screen on his TX, not sure who it is though. So it must be possible.

Brian

fatcat123

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 04:07:25 pm »

One issue i had once is the following -

I bought a wireless camera/reciever kit from maplins which came with a wall socket plug and kicked the voltage down to 12v for both camera and reciever so i in my wisdom thought i'd just connect it to a 12v lead acid..

Big mistake. It seemed to basically blow the thing up and the only reason i can come up with is the ac to dc thing.

I havn't bothered venturing into this video camera stuff any more.

dan

Timo2

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 08:36:39 pm »

Hi all

A basic CCD camera / Transmitter / Receiver  unit in PAL format  :  http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11976 About $50.00 plus post

You can add a Pan and tilt unit  http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12875   About extra  $ 5.00

and to top it all a set of Video Goggles      http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14538    at $ 80.00

Timo2

:-))

Timo2

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 08:47:26 pm »

Hi All

A remote pack to fit with a Laptop have a look at   http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcsc00011_code

At $ 105.00 plus post

Timo2

:-))

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough

offshore1987

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 04:55:51 pm »

Why dont you just use one of the new ""flycam 111"" s, its a realtime remote cam with a screen you can have on the shore :) This is the set up im going to get and put into my 1/12 tid when its finished  :-)) the big plus is that you can control the pan and tilt of the cam from the shore  :}

All the best

dan

rayna

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 08:54:37 am »

Many thanks for all the info. plenty there to work thru.
 many tanks all
Rayna :-))

rmaddock

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 07:52:43 pm »

Model aircraft now employ pilot's point of view systems.....their legality is moot  {-)

There's a website here about it: http://www.fpvuk.org/

You can have a set of goggles that measure your head movements and move the onboard camera accordingly. It'd actually look like you were onboard you boat and gazing about.

Ah ha! Found one! http://www.hobbydirect.co.uk/flytech-fpv-complete-kit-24ghz58ghz-301-p.asp

nick_75au

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 06:38:48 am »

Stand By ok2

I have some gear on order, I'm just going the laptop route for shore display. will report back once gear is installed. Be aware that 2.4 GHz camera Tx will interfere with your receiver if you are on 2.4 for the radio as well. Most FPV'ers are opting for 5.8 Ghz setups which is (more likely) legal to use.

Nick

richald

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 09:40:54 am »

Maplins in the UK do something that would probably work...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/in-car-2.4ghz-wireless-reversing-camera-with-colour-screen-224282

(given the warnings re 2.4Ghz kit interfering with Radio Control Kit)

I read somewhere that the camera has a transmission range up to 30 meters
- I can only guess this is so that it can be used on extra long vehicles!  :}

Richard

nick_75au

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 10:54:35 am »

30 metres :P I'm looking at 300 or more ok2

Some of the FPV guys have got up to 60 Klms (though a small ;D amount of extra gear required for this)

Nick

richald

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 05:07:13 pm »

300 metres - thats just boasting about the size of your pond!

Round here anything that big is usually called a sea   %)  (as in North Sea or Irish Sea!)

:-) Richard

Roadrunner

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 05:23:35 pm »

If your receiving the signal back to shore on a live feed then going way over 300 is not a bad idea to have or look into, since you don't need to see where the boat is, as long as you can see where your going, but i would ask why anyone would go that far out with a boat even if the lake/river is that big, what if it cuts out, you loose the feed?

I can understand why people who fly model aircraft do it, they have a real need for that distance, but a model boat? our lakes about 2 acres maybe a bit more (never been out to measurer it)

After going out half way you can't see if unless its a yacht even then its hard to tell which way your facing sometimes.

I suppose it comes down to cost, no reason why if you can afford it why you should attempt to do things (That's called progression and being an innovator) but i do wonder why you would spend serious amounts of cash for that feature with no real need for it?

Hey but if it makes you happy and you enjoy it then that's what matters rather then what some think, don't let me put you off, but at least be aware of the risks i pointed out should something fail, at least that way you can make a strategy for recovery!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.