Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southampton RTR tug  (Read 5758 times)

jaxon

Southampton RTR tug
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:51:49 am »

Hi,this is my first post so please be gentle  :-) I am new to rc boats but have a few years experience with rc in general and g scale model railways.I have browsed this forum many times and have at last plucked up the courage to actually post!!
I am getting a rtr southampton for Christmas as an introductioon to tugs with a view to possibly modify/detail it and eventually build a kit.I have read a few reviews and threads and it seems like a nice model but I have heard that the battery lasts about 10-15 mins ! I would like to know if I can put a bigger battery in her without any major surgery ,I have quite a few 7.2v 4000+ mah batteries for my rc cars,will these fit? or can I get a bigger aa set? I have never seen the battery that comes with the tug,looked all over the internet but no joy so any pictures of the pack that comes with her or any upgrades would be of great help please.
Thanks in advance and thanks for such a superb forum,very well laid out and very friendly... :-)
cheers
paul

sailorboy61

Re: Southampton RTR tug
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:31:31 pm »

There are a couple of threads on this running right now.... converting the RTR with new ESC etc.... I don't know what the original power set up is, but with a new/better ESC a new battery shouldn't be any problem if it physically fits.
Enjoy

tugmad

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 02:36:04 pm »

I have converted or altered if you prefer a Southampton the deck is easily removed by taking the screws out , and i have alterred the set for the motors by outting in two M tronic speed controllers giving independant motor control and i have fitted a new battery7.2 volt 6 cells by installing it behind the motors and gearbox and laying it across the boat she is a little diamond  and runs and tows extremely well and the battery lasts forever. I have even towed our club towboat which is 16ft long

tugmad

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:37:32 pm »

I have converted or altered if you prefer a Southampton the deck is easily removed by taking the screws out , and i have alterred the set for the motors by outting in two M tronic speed controllers giving independant motor control and i have fitted a new battery7.2 volt 6 cells by installing it behind the motors and gearbox and laying it across the boat she is a little diamond  and runs and tows extremely well and the battery lasts forever. I have even towed our club towboat which is 16ft long and she still has the original motors   Geo :-)) :-))

jaxon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:25:56 pm »

Thanks so much for the replies guys,that picture is great Tugmad.Is the battery pack that comes with it an AA pack? and if so is it a flat 1x6 or a stacked 2x3 pack please?

ixion

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:40:24 pm »

I used to have a RTR Souithampton tug which I modified to the WYEFORCE which the model is based on.

I changed the speed controller, battery and made the rudders bigger so it did tighter turns.

TugChief

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 07:54:55 am »

Hi Tugmad,

Love the photo, it is one of the very few in scale photos i have seen with a tug and tow, fantastic!  I hope some of the other tug towers on here look and appreciate how good things can look when they are in scale and how much more of a realistic challenge this poses to modelers!

Well done!

Darren.

tugmad

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 10:34:29 am »

Thanks Darren  and to Jaxon  no it is a  C cell pack the one between AA and D cell,  Geo

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 01:22:06 pm »

Hi Jaxon, I've also updated the batteries and relocated them behind the motors, I use 6 subC size 3300mah, along with Actions P94 plus BEC, for the overall costs Im very pleased with it.

Regards Les  :-))

jaxon

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 02:58:50 pm »

Thanks to all the replies guys,but would it be possible for someone to post a picture of the battery/connector which comes with the boat so I can get a few spares for the holiday season before I start to modify her?
many thanks

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 04:31:25 pm »

With a little bit of work, its possible to add mast lighst and navigation lights too. I fitted some in to a freinds Southampton tug only a few weeks ago.
the mast only needs the rear cross braces taking out carefully with a dremel, which then gives you a nice channel to run the wires down in to the cabin, via the slots inside of the funnels [if you carefully slide them off]. Same goes for the nav lights, careful bit of drilling and you can mount some working "led type" nav lights. Run them off a little 9v battery, so wont drain your drive motor either.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.