Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: building a centre pivot.  (Read 2050 times)

hopeitfloats

building a centre pivot.
« on: October 19, 2010, 08:12:59 am »

i have a potential project to build a working model centre pivot irrigator.   see this if you feel the urge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_pivot_irrigation  i am looking at building it from brass tube/angle/pipe due to it being used with water and having to be able to move. my problem being i cant find any decent supplies of small diameters. 2mm x 2mm angle being the main one and small diameter pipe. 2mm OD max. the pipe doesnt have to be brass.  do any MBMer's have a supplier they could recommend. i have googled but there are so many and the few i did look at were nothing like what i need.  wheels are another problem. there are plenty of offroad types around but cant find anything with tractor treads/rims. they would need to be around 30-35mm diameter. one option would be to try to find a model tractor and take the wheels off it but that will be a last resort because i may need a few sets.  cheers.  craig

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: building a centre pivot.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 08:35:04 am »

expotools.com

Have lots of brass and other metal tube, angle, bar, and sheet.

Great catalog. Always buy stuff i don't need, as well as the stuff I do.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 08:37:07 am »

Oops, sorry. I have just seen you are in NZ.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:48:21 am »

If you are looking for a 90° elbow at that diameter, I think you are going to have to cut and solder one your self.
That is what I had to do for 5mm and 10mm diameter brass tubing. There are some Styrene or ABS elbows that
you might be able to get from Plastruct, or the local model railroad shop, but you will have to drill them out to
allow them to pass water.

{:-{

Check the plumbing area at the hardware store,... I have bought 2mm OD copper tubing that you should
be able to bend fairly tightly using a mandrel and pliers.

hopeitfloats

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:35:32 am »

tigertiger - thanks will check that site. not a great range of it here so expecting to have to buy from overseas. thanks for your suggestion umi but hardware stores here dont have anything smaller than 6mm copper.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 01:52:56 pm »

This any help:

http://www.albionalloys.co.uk/images/stories/metric_leaflet_2010_gbp.pdf

Never used them myself, they are on my list of potential suppliers.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

pugwash

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:09:10 pm »

Ian, Offhand I think expo tools stock the Albionalloys range.
Geoff

kiwi

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:10:37 pm »

Hi Craig,
Try K & S (brass) Evergreen (plastic) and Plastruct (plastic), both should be available at your local hobby shop.
Does Ashburton still have a model shop, or will you have to pop up to Christchurch?
I am using Evergreen 1.5mm angle on my ps Koheroa and have 2.3mm OD tube as well.
K & S have 1/16" (1.6mm) brass and Al tube and think they do 1/8th brass angle as well. Their sizes go up from there in 1/32" steps.
Hope this helps
kiwi

hopeitfloats

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 08:20:06 am »

no shop in ash now kiwi. tried chch hobby shop but their range is very limited and they said some of the smaller sizes have been discontinued

Wasyl

small bore pipe
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 11:54:24 am »

I seem to remember someone on here looking for small bore pipe,or tubing,well i spotted this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-35-Hollow-Brass-Pipe-Ext-Dia-1mm-Int-Dia-0-72mm-/190414098891?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item2c559091cb

Wullie

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:33:54 pm »

Not quite sure what you are looking for but if you were over here. I would recommend that have a look at various types of gas boiler spares. Pilot light tubing is an alloy and comes in various sizes. I have just measured some I have on stock at 3.2mm. It is easily bent, comes in coils about 18" long and there are available a limited amount of compression fittings.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.