Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printed decking  (Read 2684 times)

POLYMAN

printed decking
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:43:12 pm »

{:-{I will be building the mountfleet boston typhoon.Is it possible to score the printed deck,rather than having to do the individual planking thing?Also what kind of stain would one use this type of decking,as i have always done individual planks.thanks

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: printed decking
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:59:33 pm »

I'm assuming that the deck is printed plywood. Unless there is a very pronounced grain pattern then you may be able to get a reasonable result by 'distressing' it without having to score it.What I do is to add a small amount of acrylic black paint to water and then rub it into the deck so that it looks grubby. Then varnish over with a matt finish in the usual way. This is what I did for all the Caldercraft review models I made for Model Boats magazine. and they looked OK.

Colin

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:14:01 pm »

Aeronaut Modellbau sell  10cm wide x 1mtr long  obechi (I think) ready grooved decking sheets in at least 2 widths of plank 5mm is one. Still have the trouble of joggleing and so on but it might be easier than individual planks. Better than printed I presume. Sorry I dont know of a UK supplier. Try a search for Aeronaut part No 7517/24 "Bootsdeck"
..well can you land on this?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:16:08 pm »

Arrow,
Westbournes do stock it at times, might be worth a call.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:43:49 pm »

Thanks Shipmate , it was the original poster Polyman that was looking for an alterntive. Good to know that Westbourne stock it.   :-))
..well can you land on this?

POLYMAN

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 11:53:57 pm »

:-))Thanks guys.I live in calgary,alberta canada.I will check around.Colin i still look at your article on the Vulcano.Would sure like to get one of those.It is a buatifull model.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 08:59:55 am »

Wrong Colin I'm afraid - I didn't get to review the Vulcano! Just the Talacre, Imara and Cumbrae.

I think you can get a decent result with the printed ply, it does save a lot of work!

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.