Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for Moderators/Martin  (Read 1728 times)

nick_75au

Question for Moderators/Martin
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:45:00 am »

How long does the modify button remain active after a post is made, I made a post earlier today and just noticed a spelling mistake but the button is gone, I also wanted to modify an earlier post to add something/ tone down a comment I made.

Cheers

Nick

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Question for Moderators/Martin
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 08:54:47 am »

30 minutes.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

nick_75au

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 09:05:09 am »

Any reason why such a short time, Im used to being able to edit posts indefinitely, would be handy for the brush-less motor testing thread so I could add new data to the first post .

Nick

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:12:54 am »

A few reasons as far as I know , people would make remarks or statements then remove them after people had answered the post, so post made no sense . also people would go in and remove all their posts thus destroying all the post and putting big holes in the posts, it has worked well as far as I am concerned.

Peter

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:53:01 am »

Peter is correct. We had some instances of people altering their original posts in response to replies which disrupted the topic and which in one or two cases was deliberately misleading. The idea of the 30 minute limit is to be able to correct that typo that you saw just as you pressed the submit button etc.

There is nothing to prevent you putting up a subsequent post adding to or amending what you said earlier and if you want your post deleted then any of the Moderators will be happy to do this and to tidy up the topic as necessary to preserve its logic.

Also, if you were to go back and add information to an earlier post then a lot of people might not see it as many of us follow topics by looking at posts made since we last visited. Better to repost with either an updated version of your initial post or with just any additions.

So it shouldn't be a problem really.

Colin

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:33:18 am »

It also of course has another distinct advantage in that members may put a little bit more thought into thier post if they know it is to remain there and might help a little to reduce some of the posts that would have perhaps been better said in a less direct way.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.