Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lipo- Brushed motor!  (Read 3789 times)

Ben Tickle

Lipo- Brushed motor!
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:36:37 pm »

Hi,

I have got a 700bb turbo motor with a jeti 600 navy esc. I have been informed by model power that a 2000mah 25c battery will be O.K to use in this circumstance. Can anyone just give me a little bit of reassurance?

Thanks

Ben

Ben Tickle

Re: Lipo- Brushed motor!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:37:17 pm »

It does have a li protector so that the standard type of esc can be used!

Ben

nick_75au

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 06:13:02 am »

Max efficiency is 15 amps on the motor(draw 25 and the motor will be unhappy) , the battery is good for 50 amps according to specs.. You should be fine

Nick

Ben Tickle

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:16:37 am »

Thanks for the advice!

So my set up should be fine. It only has a 40amp fuse so i cannot drain more than 40amps and the battery does upto 50amps i think?

Ben

nick_75au

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 08:54:13 am »

I would put a 25 amp fuse, If you blow that then your drawing too much current for the motor ok2 If that is fine then reduce the fuse rating until it pops under load then put the next size up, if over 25 amps you will definitely need go to a smaller prop.

Nick

Ben Tickle

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:22:02 am »

Hi,

At the moment the boat has a racing prop on it as i want it to go as fast as it will without upgrading everything! I have run it with a 25 amp fuse before and after a few runs it went pop. I then fitted a 30 amp fuse and that did the same after a few runs. I now have a 40amp fuse which touch wood has not gone pop. Which fuse will go pop?

The one between the battery and speed controller or the one between esc and motor?

I used to run it with only one fuse which was 25amp between the battery and esc, however i also used to have 14 volts, would this help to make the fuse blow?

Thanks

Ben

Ben Tickle

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 11:16:50 am »

Hi All,

Just to inform you, i tried my boat in the bath with 2 20amp fuses on inbetween the esc and motor and 1 between battery and esc and it appears to be fine on an 11.1v 30c battery. Do you think i could give a 25c battery a go?

Thanks

Ben

nick_75au

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 11:50:55 am »

Higher volts will cause a previously OK fuse to go pop, you are by spinning the prop faster causing the motor to draw more current. If you want to use a higher voltage then you need a smaller prop to give the same amp draw, power will still be higher ;)

Sounds like you have too many fuses, you only need 1 fuse, in the positive wire from the battery to the ESC, all the others are creating resistance and inefficiency. Make all the wires as short as possible and as thick as possible, minimum 12 AWG better is 10 AWG.

Is the motor water-cooled, at 25 amps I would consider brush tab cooling as well as can cooling, involves soldering on 2 separate pieces of copper or brass tube to the wire connections of the motor and connecting them with silicone hose to the cooling circuit.

there will be no difference between the 30C and 25C batteries, C only gives the maximum amps a battery can output.
Nick

Ben Tickle

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 12:05:10 pm »

Hi,

As neither fuse has gone, should this setup be ok with a 25c lipo then?

Thanks

Ben :}

nick_75au

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 12:06:48 pm »

Yes :-))

Nick

Ben Tickle

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 12:07:51 pm »

Thanks for your help mate! :}

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 12:33:42 pm »

Funny things, fuses.  If you have 2 of the same value in series, its a toss-up which will go first, but after that they will take turns, since the survivor will have suffered.  In a set up with battery - fuse1 - ESC - fuse 2 - motor, I suspect that fuse 1 would go first, as it's supplying the ESC control current as well.  Not much, but every little helps.  Since most ESCs have output current limiting these days, fuse 2 is redundant.  Fuse 1 protects against internal ESC failures.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Ben Tickle

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 01:06:44 pm »

Hi,

I have been told by model power that a:-

25c pack+50 amps

Does this mean as lond as the fuse is below 50 amps?

Thanks

Ben

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 01:10:26 pm »

It does have a li protector so that the standard type of esc can be used!

Does that mean the Lipo low voltage protection to stop you over-discharging you Lipo batteries? - if it doesn't make sure yo do fit one. A few of the chaps I race cars against have discovered the hard way how they should have fitted one or changed the setting on their ESC.

John Mk2

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 01:26:56 pm »

Ben Tickle

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 06:43:56 pm »

Hi,

Sorry to bring it up again! The last time i checked on the maximum ampage that the motor can draw, graupner said 80amps. I have a 40amp fuse and the battery can give upto 50amps. The 40amp fuses have not blown so i think im just going to try it

Thanks

ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 23 queries.