Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My Workshop nears completion  (Read 7376 times)

Propslip

My Workshop nears completion
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:00:11 am »

After nearly 65 years I at last have the workshop I always wanted. I started with an old wooden summerhouse 20 x 10 ft. This was a long term project that took over 3 years to get this far, selling some of my unmade projects to fund the build. The base was cracked crumbling & much of the wooden timber cladding was pretty rotten. Should I buy new or rebuild what I had? I decided on the later. The roof was good. I did some repairs to the concrete base & built a timber floor over the concrete. I stripped each wall & put in 3 windows bought off ebay years ago for the purpose. Then each wall was reclad, a lot of timber was added to strengthen the whole structure. Up till now it has been a haven for numerous spiders, insects & other wildlife, it is now a totally wildlife free zone!!! Next insulation, as I intended putting in some engineering machinary, being damp free was essential. This involved cutting numerous sheets of polystyrene insulation & covering with plasterboard. Next job my son in law plastered the whole lot, then a few coats of white paint. Next I built a wooden bench. I soon realised I was going to need two, so back to B&Q for more timber & a second one was made. I still have some things to do, tool racks to put up, permenant power supply to install & alarm to fit but at least I can work in it now. Some projects are already under way, a Sterling Model C2 cargo ship & a 1/48 River Class Minesweeper. Was it worth the effort, well I think so. Total cost run well into 4 figures but a new one would have cost more & I still would have had ti insulate & plaster out.

Wasyl

Re: My Workshop nears completion
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:08:40 am »

Nice workshop,..I,m.Not too keen on Clover,......But them Shortie biscuits wi a bit of Scottish Cheddar,would go down a treat,with a nice cup of English Tea,.... O0 :-))

Wullie

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 11:34:47 am »

SUPERB Propslip, am full of admiration, what a cracking set up you've achieved there , lovely pic of the model too. :-))
         Hoping to start converting part of the garage this year as a winter project, I need a little modelling room now that I'm really getting into building model boats.
Space is a little limited garage is 25' x 8'2" wide, it's my workshop and stores but intend to use 8' of one end to insulate and convert into a cosy workroom for modelling - it's got to be better than sharing part of the conservatory with the dog!  {-) {-)
         Kind regards, Tony.

My current workshop!----------------------

Wasyl

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 12:35:08 pm »

I think you might have started something Propslip,with your fine working facilities,I,ve got a double garage,that I can,t get my car into,because of Junk,....To.quote one of my fav Bands, I hear the "Winds of Change "coming...

my junk/workshop......6m x 8m

Wullie

Propslip

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 12:38:39 pm »

I would have put some pictures up before but could never get them to load correctly. Think I have the hang of it now. A large batch of detailed Leander pictures to put on later.
                     Propslip

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 12:38:57 pm »

Nice workshop,..I,m.Not too keen on Clover,......But them Shortie biscuits wi a bit of Scottish Cheddar,would go down a treat,with a nice cup of English Tea,.... O0 :-))

Wullie

My what big eyes you have Wullie   O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-)

Propslip

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 12:50:02 pm »

I had to do some serious culling. All the half empty paint pots, most of the timber, huge amounts of "that might come in handy stuff". When your are doing it, you think what am I doing dumping all this stuff, I might want it one day. But when its all gone I had a strange sense of wellbeing!!!!!
                                                     Propslip

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 01:33:23 pm »

Ah, he may not like Clover, but he missed the Utterly Buttery hiding in picture five. (Above the seat, on the bench).

%)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Wasyl

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 01:47:47 pm »

Ah, he may not like Clover, but he missed the Utterly Buttery hiding in picture five. (Above the seat, on the bench).

%)

Andy
..I saw that,...but it wisnae worth a mention, {-)

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 01:51:09 pm »

My what big eyes you have Wullie   O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-)

Its No jist ma eye,s that are big,.....think .."fell off the wall" {-) {-)...an "hands" like shovels,an you know wit they say aboot a man wi big hands....... {-)

Wullie

pugwash

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 02:15:14 pm »

Wullie big hands usually mean big clumsy fingers
Geoff

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 02:15:56 pm »

That's the biggest problem I'm going to have Propslip - letting go all the stock I've not, and probably won't use. {:-{ Trouble is it's all good tackle much of it brand new and unused or in near perfect condition from timber to hardware, ladders, to rolls of cable to lights of all sorts, etc. etc. etc. - have even asked around for any local car booters that may be interested foc - no responses, may be the guys at the tip will think Christmas has come early  {-)

Regards, Tony.

Propslip

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 02:26:00 pm »

TT1 Get it on ebay, if it dosnt sell, a boot sale is a good option as well if it still dosnt go dump it or recyle it. I gave much of my stuff to my daughter & she sold it that way. Trolley jack, axle stands, ramps, sockets, TV wall mountings she flogged the lot!!!
                                                                Propslip

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 04:21:35 pm »

Propslip

Excellent - a rich reward for all your hard work!

Like you, I need to cull the "might come in handy stuff" and I take heart from your "strange sense of wellbeing"!

Tony

I note, from the handy gazunder, that your workbench must be a long way from the loo! I also use the garage but it's jolly cold in winter. Fortunately the management is very tolerant on the use of the dining room table!

How do you guys keep everthing so neat and tidy?

Mike

Propslip

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 04:50:19 pm »

The 2 large filing cabinets (Ebay) hold a lot of the stuff that would normally clutter up shelves. Just in front of them is another storage unit with sliding doors that holds all my plans, magazines, photos & research material. I still intend to put up a board behind the bench to hang ready use tools on & those handy blue boxes. Under the beches are handy open top storage boxex (Boot Sale). Overhead are some 4x2 timber rafters were I store some of the timber & models I did keep. Incidentally the purchase of a 6 x 4 garden shed means all gardening stuff is has its own space. Childrens garden toys are now stored in the Little Tykes playhouse just visible in one of my pictures.
                                                             Propslip

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 05:15:30 pm »

Very nice Propslip, but its TOO tidy! :-))
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Propslip

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 05:29:03 pm »

I havnt finished loading it up yet boatmad, Ive got a 100 year old milling machine in the back garden, still works too. Doing the calculations to see if the floor will take the extra load!!!

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 07:14:17 pm »

It must be that time of year when modelers yearn for a little cosy nook of their own...

I have been neglecting the EeZeBilt site for a few months now - this is the reason why...

There is no truth to the rumour that the base is a flat sheet of 3/32" balsa, and the sides are going to be 1/16", bent round....

Propslip

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 07:22:49 pm »

Looks good so far geezer but methinks you need to get the sides on pretty smart with the weather turning!!!! A get rid of some of that crap inside!!!

kiwi

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 08:52:52 pm »

DG, very nice, and hope you get it closed in before the onset of winter.
Well done everyone, I wish I had a more civilized shed to work in, as I have an old vertical computer desk in the corner of the lounge, and a tin garden shed outside, 1.8x1.8x1.8 metres for the messy work.  Just as well I dont have any hair as it would brush the spiders of the ceiling evey time I go there. Summer it fries whats left of the brain, winter its constantly looking for the brass rolling around the floor. And when it rains, well I don't hear to well any more.
cheers
kiwi

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 09:56:14 pm »

... A get rid of some of that c--- inside!!!

Propslip? I wasn't married to you once, was I?

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 11:16:23 pm »

Ah memories,  :-) :-) :-)
there is no place like home sweet home :D :D :D %% %% %%

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 01:36:02 am »

Thanks D.G. and Kiwi,  {:-{ {:-{ "xxxxx" that, I'm staying in the consevatory! - dog's gonna have to move over!!  {-)

Propslip

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 09:15:13 am »

Some of these pictures remind me of what my modeling space used to look like. Then all the kids left home & I had a Zen moment. Zen say less is more!!! That & the eldest grandson informing me he didnt believe any of my boats ever worked & I wasnt going to live long enough to make  or finish all of the ones I had. Of coarse he was right & that focused me on making a plan. I spent 15 years thinking about it & then finally took the plunge, the hardest part was the decluttering, the building work was easy. The trouble is I am now an obsessive declutterer & not content to sell-recycle-dump my own stuff I have to tell others how to do it!!! Some have said my work area is to tidy, umm I have a confession to make & the pictures of my loft (I'll post some later) are self explanatory.
                                                      Propslip
PS Keep it going boys, I need this to keep me going

tomo55

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 10:45:43 am »

Im glad to see others are not as neat as the start of this thread portrays.
My shed is a place of quiet solitude, its dusty ,I do not put my tools away ,but I am very happy in it.
So not for me the immaculate workspaces displayed as impressive as they are.
Chris
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.