Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ETV and Astute  (Read 1314 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
ETV and Astute
« on: October 23, 2010, 09:17:35 am »

The two Emergency Towing Vessels (ETV) were introduced in UK waters after the tanker Braer sunk off Shetland. Now the Westminster Government states that they are to be withdrawn as assistance to vessels is down to the owners of vessels. (Thus ignoring the arguments that led to their introduction.)

This is fine as long as their is a suitable tug in the locality when your vessel breaks down and if it has pollution cotrol abilities so much the better.

Ironic then that when HMS Astute grounded in the Kyle of Lochalsh, it had to be pulled off by an ETV.

Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ETV and Astute
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:33:23 am »

Yes, withdrawng these tugs does seem a bit foolhardy, I bet the French aren't doing the same. It's a bit like not taking out insurance because you house isn't actually very likely to burn down. I suspect they may come to regret that decision in the not too distant future. Presumably they can already recover the costs of dealing with incidents from those concerned so the net cost to the public purse is having the tugs on standby.

If the Government had been responsible for lifeboat services, as some people advocate, I wonder just how many stations would have been slated for closure in the spending review!

Colin

keef666

Re: ETV and Astute
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:03:48 am »

The way this Government is going on, with cuts everywhere, it won't be in office for long, they have already lost five and half million votes this week!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.