Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest card scam.  (Read 4794 times)

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
Latest card scam.
« on: October 22, 2010, 05:24:22 pm »

I have just received an e-mail alert from PC N. Thacker Notts Police about a new card/phone scam. In his own words this one is pretty slick.

A person calls climatic to be from either Visa or Master card Security and Fraud Department. They give you a badge number and claim your card as been flagged up for an unusual purchase pattern, giving details of a bogus purchase usually just under £500-00p.

After a lengthy conversation during which they read out to your your name and address and the main number of your card they ask you to confirm that you are still in possession of the card and that to verify this they will need you to supply them with some information.

They ask you to turn over the card and read out the last three numbers on the back I.E. your SECURITY NUMBER.

Apparently this is the only information not already in their possession.

Anyone receiving this type of call is asked to call their card center immediately in order to help with on going investigation.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Latest card scam.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:55:48 pm »

Always a good idea to tell anyone phoning on behalf of your card issuer to put their questions in writing.

Having said that, everyone gives out their card number, expiry date, security number and address when making a customer not present card transaction. You are far more likely to get spoofed after doing this than some random card scammer.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 07:32:30 pm »

Phone calls are always a problem. I have had some in the past from my card provider which did deal with some genuine attempts to scam my card. So what I do is listen to what they have to say and NOT give them any further information. I then ring the card provider back using the phone number on the back of my bill and we go on from there.

Colin

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 07:40:46 pm »

Phone calls are always a problem. I have had some in the past from my card provider which did deal with some genuine attempts to scam my card. So what I do is listen to what they have to say and NOT give them any further information. I then ring the card provider back using the phone number on the back of my bill and we go on from there.

Colin

Couldnt agree more.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:44:43 pm »

Barclay bank telephoned me to say they had stopped my card because of suspicious activity. Evidently someone had debited it in America for a small purchase of $4.50  to a charity and someone in England had debited it for another unknown charity.

The Bank had noticed this and explained it was a general tactic to test the card with a small amount BEFORE draining the account, so had blocked it before confirming with me. I thought this was a great service and told them so.

It's a great comfort to know that the bank is watching as well.   :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:12:15 pm »

Yes Ken, but just remember that the Bank is safeguarding their own interests rather than yours. If your account were to be drained, they would have to foot the bill in reimbursing you. Yes, it's good that they are on the ball, something similar happened to me, but I don't take comfort from Banks I'm afraid. They are desperately trying to conceal the real level of fraud that is going on and this involves spreading the costs around their customers in the form of charges rather than trying to nail the scammers.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 08:31:04 pm »

Yes that's true.  They would, of course know the other 'Party's' details by the bank requesting my money.

I did receive my shiny new card complete with different numbers on it which has screwed up some of my direct debits. This has involved extra work to inform people. Ho Hum.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 09:38:05 pm »

Yes Ken, but just remember that the Bank is safeguarding their own interests rather than yours. If your account were to be drained, they would have to foot the bill in reimbursing you.

Colin

Spot on, and is also the case here in OZ. <:( <:( <*< <*<

The same scam is operating here.
There was a program the other night by Federal Police which indicated the amount of credit card fraud, forget the amount but it was astronomical, not to mention that gangs were involed world wide.
Also was critical of Banks as they have not introduced latest European technology to counter fraud, too expensive as the Banks have to foot the bill. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 10:02:17 pm »

Dead right, it's cheaper for the banks to recover losses by loading customer charges than to actually track down the low lifes who are fleecing them.

Colin

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 08:51:28 am »

When you receive a call from the bank do as my father does

he asks them to confirm his details over the phone.... If they are from his bank then they will know his account number etc
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 09:36:31 am »

If they are from his bank then they will know his account number etc

And so will a lot of other people including the bad guys - that is no protection at all. You really do have no guarantee who is speaking to you unless you call back using the contact number given on your statement.

Anyone you've sent a cheque to will have your basic bank details and your card details may have been skimmed when you used it - several recent cases in petrol stations.

Colin

keef666

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 10:00:58 am »

An old lady i know had this done to her few months back, went shopping for her weekly shop, of food etc, went to pay by her card and was told "Sorry the card is empty" she went home empty handed stunned, got hold of the bank, to which she was told you bank account has been emptied, you can image what this poor woman was going through by now, anyway the banks re-credit her account, when i spoke to her, she said sometime about a phonecall, and she might have give some bank details out,
Two weeks ago, buying something online, the bank phone me to say something wasn't correct on the transaction and stopped it, last week gets bank statment only to fine some one had taken £320.00 out, which the banks have credit back to me, so i won't buy anymore stuff online from now on. if i want it, its cash only! if not i will do without.

regiment

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 10:10:00 am »

SO  THE MESSAGE IS  DO NOT USE CARD ON LINE   IF YOU DO  YOU WILL GET  DONE   :police:

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 10:29:01 am »

SO  THE MESSAGE IS  DO NOT USE CARD ON LINE   IF YOU DO  YOU WILL GET  DONE   :police:

I use a prepay mastercard for all online transactions including paypal.  There is only ever enough in there to cover imminent purchases
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 10:49:17 am »

SO  THE MESSAGE IS  DO NOT USE CARD ON LINE   IF YOU DO  YOU WILL GET  DONE

It's all a question of balancing risk. If you decide to pay for your 3 new piece suite in cash you might get mugged on the way to the shop - and it won't be refunded by the bank!

I buy online quite frequently but normally only from reputable retailers or those who I personally know to be OK. Many smaller firms use third party payment facilities such as World Pay which can be regarded as pretty secure. The risk comes if you go for a very low price bargain from somebody you've never heard of and there is some lowlife at the other end selling off your card details to somebody else who will use them to empty your account. All the antivirus software in the world won't guard against that.

You can get robbed just as easily offline as online. A few years ago my card payment for a meal in America was put through twice 'by mistake'. Of course it was nothing of the kind, they'd twigged us as tourists and gambled on the fact that another small transaction wouldn't be noticed when we got our account after we returned home. The amount wasn't great but if they did it to enough people it must have been a useful little earner.

The prepaid card mentioned by  Essex2visuvesi  is a good idea for limiting potential loss but what bugs me is that while the banks have become fairly proactive in trying to prevent fraud, once it has happened they just pay up and nobody seems to be very interested in tracking down those responsible as it's just too much hassle and so they just carry on doing it.

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 12:09:30 pm »

>>:-( >>:-( on 10th August 2007...I purchased via credit card some low temperature 0.5 mm diameter silver solder wire & flux from a British supplier & was duly charged AUD$47.65 on my credit card statement & I was happy  :-))

On my next credit card statement I find a charge of AUD$494.98 from 12th September 2007 from the same respected British supplier

I lodge a complaint with the respected British supplier & spoke personally with the owner/principal who asssured me this could not happen.......... I lodge a  :police: complaint with my Australian Commonwealth Bank...

It takes approx 2 months....but all is OK......mysteriously the respected British supplier credits my credit card account for the same AUD$494.98

Clearly ...the respected owner/principal of the manufacturing/supply company had no knowledge that one of his staff in accounting authority was embezzling funds from his Company accounts.......Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 01:09:13 pm »

Dead right, it's cheaper for the banks to recover losses by loading customer charges than to actually track down the low lifes who are fleecing them.

Colin

Not correct Colin. I currently work with the largest credit card issuer in Europe. They dont use default fees or transaction fees to recover losses. They use these to create their profit. They have made significant inroads into reducing card fraud.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 02:45:21 pm »

Not correct Colin. I currently work with the largest credit card issuer in Europe. They dont use default fees or transaction fees to recover losses. They use these to create their profit. They have made significant inroads into reducing card fraud.

Ah, your true colours at last, you are one of those nasty evil bankers then.... ;)

When I said charges I was thinking more of the 16%+APR at a time when base rates are below 1%. Where customers are obliged to be refunded in case of fraud the money has to come from somewhere and it isn't the company shareholders. Without that burden interest rates could be reduced. It's just the same in the motor insurance industry where honest drivers have their premiums loaded to pay for the actions of the uninsured ones.

I accept that more effort is being made to prevent fraud; there are more hoops to jump through when paying on line for example. I just wish some more effort would be made in clearing up after it.

Not so long ago one of my card issuers was requested to issue a replacement card in my name. The incompetent cretins sent it to an address in North London. I live in Surrey to where my bills have been sent for the last 30 years. By a stroke of luck it was delivered to the house next door by mistake. The good citizen living there smelt a rat as the neighbouring property was occupied by a bunch of Somalis. So he opened it, saw my name and managed to get directly in touch with me – as I said, a good citizen.

The card issuer and the bank were both informed. The card issuer cancelled my card and issued a new one and seemed to think that was effectively the end of the matter as far as they were concerned although they did make a report to their fraud department who did not seem to be terribly interested. The attitude of the Police was that a crime had not been committed as the miscreants never got the opportunity to use the card. Simply applying for it fraudulently is apparently not a crime it seems.

So it would appear that no action was taken against the Somalis who are no doubt continuing to defraud the public and card issuers instead of being given a one way ticket to their home Country.

I was more than a little cross.  >>:-( >>:-( <*<

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 03:04:44 pm »

Colin says........ "I accept that more effort is being made to prevent fraud; there are more hoops to jump through when paying on line..." ....thank you Colin....my paper work file relating to my issue confirms at least 12 hoops & a few months wondering....... <:( <:(

a] 3 emails to the British supplier confirming 3 telephone discussions with the respected British supplier [no no no...we would not do this to you....]
b] 7 emails to our wounderful Australian Commonwealth Bank ....+ numerous telephone calls to our wounderful Australian Commonwealth Bank ...[please be patient & ensure you pay your bill that you have incurred]
c] 2 letters from our wounderful Australian Commonwealth Bank...firstly acknowledging receipt of my complaint....& the secondly the resolution

This is no big drama....but I had to pay the AUD$494.98  up front to maintain my credit rating  >>:-( <*< :police: until the saga was resolved.........Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

dave301bounty

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 08:26:57 pm »

There is a RAT not far away ,who gets your confidence ,says he will fix this an that ,,and before you know it ,all you info of finances are on his computer ,I have proof of this ,I shall wait my time ,then i shall let the world know .

PMK

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 08:52:11 pm »

I can't see the point which you're trying to make. There are four members of this forum, all of which have my bank and credit card details. I too have proof. Unless your aforementioned rat has stolen your money, then what is the problem? On the other hand, if this person *has* stolen your money, or done some sort of dirty deed, then why are you biding your time? Why not just name/shame the sucker now?
Just because he/she has information of your financial details on his/her computer doesn't necessarily make him/her a rat, does it?

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 10:28:35 pm »

Justaboatonic,

I must strenuously disagre with you, whilst my experience is related to Oz, going by commentary it no doubt is indicative of banks in general.
Banks do not care about customers but profits as per their forecasts.
If business is down and their targets are not being achieved they up the fees and charges etc to reach the target profit.

Customers are never right and the Bank always denies liabilty, you have to prove your case. This is the opposite to customer service. Any so called customer protections etc have been fought for by customers with the Banks kicking and screaming that it will break them etc etc. Then they raise their fees and charges so you pay for your so called protection.

Long long ago in a land far away it was possible to put money in the bank and if you came back one week, one month, one year,or whatever it, "All your money" would still be there.

Do that now, and in a very small space of time and all of your money will have disapppeared and you may well also owe the bank for extra fees and charges.

So who is the bank really looking after, it really would be easy for them to reduce their profit by a paltry few million once in awhile instead of being money suckers. <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

Wasyl

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 03:00:47 am »

My late father,who worked as a labourer on a building site,for the 50 years that he was in this country, told me from an early age,Money in the Bank,is Security,and he lived by this doctrine, so much by it,that when he died he left an obscene amount of money....by working class standards that is,but it was in excess of £100,000,this was shared between myself my mother and my brother and sister,then when she died,she tooleft in excess of the same amount,
When I deposited my share in the bank,They advised me to see a financial adviser,..I did,and he said he would invest my money wisely,....I,m just glad i did,nt let him invest it all,...suffice to say,when things went pear shaped I lost all of this wisely invested money,and more,...un be known to me,...I had went overdrawn,on  my account to the tune £1.02,...by the time I discovered it,the debt had risen to £641.02,...£5+ per day bank charges, when I queried this with the bank,they told me it was bank policy,when I asked them why did,nt they notify me,about this £1.02 debt,they said they had,on 4 occasions, and that the letters had been returned as Not Known at this address,when I asked them what address they,d sent the letters too, they showed me my late parents address,I then asked them why did,nt they check my bank details that were on their PC,they could,nt give me a satisfactory explanation,Then I said to them,"you lost thousands of £s of my money with your unwise investments then you charge me £640 for a £1.02 debt,...One has nothing to with the other ,i was told,....
I now have No bank account,any money i get,I put it where i know it will be safe,..I still have that outstanding debt with the bank, and the debt has been passed to a Debt Collection Agency,who,have told me,"quote-we have instructed one of our "field operatives to pay you a visit, but to avoid this,please phone us now,with a repayment plan,..I phoned them and told them, in no uncertain manner,"If you send a field operative to my door,..please advise him to bring an Ambulance with him,..because he,or I might need one very quickly,..their responce was,..we do not take threats kindly,..neither do I, I said, and hung up,
I got in touch with CAB,who have been very good,..and just two weeks ago I got a letter from said Debt Agency,offering me a reduced debt of £400,...I declined this offer,
I,ll let you know how i get on,

Wullie

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 05:41:25 am »

Wullie....I think your story is near universal ....only the dates & names have changed ...however I bet your financial adviser is still driving a big expensive car & still living in the big expensive home...just like my financial adviser ......Derek....... >>:-( <*<
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 06:00:06 am »

Wullie & Derek,

Have you noticed how pro and supportive a "bank exec" is but, only whilst on payroll with the perks etc. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

For when they are not and things have gone bad for whatever reason well, that be the time for home truths. <:( <:( <:(
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.