Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Port holes - Is there a standard size?  (Read 4705 times)

Celestialsphere

Port holes - Is there a standard size?
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:29:22 am »

Hello everyone,

I am scratchbuilding a model of a small modern container ship and I have a question about the portholes on a modern ship.

Is there a standard diameter for portholes, and what is the distance above the deck to the centreline of a porthole (again - is there a standard?).

If anyone knows the answers to these questions enlightment would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew,

Melbourne, Australia

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Port holes - Is there a standard size?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:05:04 am »

I don't think there are any particular standards. However, a lot of 'porthole' and windows in modern vessels are oval or rectangular with radiused corners which make them relatively difficult to model.

Bryan Youg recently posted some information on conventional porthole sizes and heights above deck on another thread but I don't remember which one.

Edit: It's this one! http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27107.msg266957;topicseen#msg266957

Colin

sailorboy61

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 04:06:28 pm »

The size of the portholes is dictated by the construction rules the ship was built under, as a cabin has to meet certain minimum requirements for space/lighting (including natural light) / ventilation/equipment level etc.
Pre aircon days this usually resulted in opening portholes, and as an 'emergency escape' were required to fit a mans shoulders.....
Todays constructions typically do not have opening ports.... all double glazed for comfort (until the AC breaks then you all sweat like a pig as you can't get airflow around a modern ship other than mechanically!! Mondern 'windows' are also typically rectangular, unless in the hull where physics/metallurgy dictate and round ports occur.
if you are a Captain and have a caring owner....  ;D :o >:-o <*< then you might get large picture windows. As a messman on a ship built cheaply in china...... you'll probably get one/two 12/14" half submerged ports....but as you're working 29 hours a day, who cares??

Celestialsphere

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:19:45 am »

Thankyou guys. I have used 4.5mm portholes on my 1/87th scale ship. That scales out to around 15 inch diameter. Probably a bit big but its too late to change now. Next time ....

Cheers

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.